Non-Road Boards > Sports

Fans that live outside the sports markets

(1/12) > >>

jgb191:
I remember I touched on a something like this in the NFL thread, but I wanted to expand the discussion on it some more so that's why I decided to start a new thread on it.

I'm curious as to any of you (or those you know) who live away from any of the sports cities what the rooting interest is (either in rural areas or other cities without a pro-sports team).

For example: in Florida, for people in Orlando, Ft. Myers, Tallahassee, or any other place, are they a Buccaneers fan, Dolphins fan, or Jaguars fan?  Is the Tampa more for the Magic or Heat?

For those that live in anywhere else in Pennsylvania, would those people be rooting for teams from Pittsburgh or Philadelphia?

If you live somewhere else in Missouri, are you fan of the KC or STL teams?  Are you a Royals fan or a Cardinals fan?

If you live in Ohio, are you most likely a Cleveland fan or Cincinnati fan?  Are there Cavaliers fan in or near the Cincinnati area seeing as they don't have an NBA team?

Those that live in Central California (Bakersfield, Fresno, Visalia, etc) are they more for LA teams or the SF teams?

In my home town Corpus Christi, the Cowboys fans vastly outnumber Texans fans (not surprisingly); I would estimate 70% to 30% in favor of Cowboys.  Also the majority root for the Spurs, some for the Rockets, and very few for the Mavericks.  And the overwhelming majority are Astros fan and a small minority for the Rangers.

Something else I found interesting:  Lake Charles, LA rooting interest in the NFL is far more towards the Saints than Texans, despite the fact that the city is way closer to Houston than to New Orleans.

jeffandnicole:
People are fans of teams, not fans of the locality.

Also, you're looking too strongly at state lines.  There are portions of areas of Pennsylvania that are closer to Baltimore, DC/Landover, NYC/Meadowlands, Cleveland and even Buffalo. If you're basing it on closeness to a city, someone in PA has numerous teams from cities outside PA to root for.

RoadWarrior56:
Somewhere on the web is a map of the US that includes the fan-base boundaries of each NFL team.  I have seen it several times.  There are others you can find.  Below is a link to such a map, although it might be a year or two out of date.

https://seatgeek.com/tba/articles/where-do-nfl-fans-live-mapping-football-fandom-across-the-u-s/

NWI_Irish96:
I lived in the Louisville market for 11 years. No local professional teams.
Baseball was mostly Reds though there was weak baseball interest overall.
Basketball was really whatever team people's favorite Louisville or Kentucky players were on.
Hockey barely registered.
Football was the most interesting. The majority were Colts or Bengals, but I knew people, all of whom were native to the area, who were fans of the Steelers, Cowboys, 49ers, Chiefs, Bears and Bills.

Ted$8roadFan:
There are indeed maps showing the fan bases for MLB and NFL teams (and maybe others) that include many areas far removed from their teams. For example:

https://seatgeek.com/tba/articles/where-do-nfl-fans-live-mapping-football-fandom-across-the-u-s/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version