Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

Gas Station Fandom

(1/14) > >>

Max Rockatansky:
I canít say this is something Iíve ever found myself ever engaged in but it seems to be prevalent in some corners of the road community.  In particular this type of fandom seems heavily centered around Buc-eeís, Sheetz and Wawa.  Iíve all three to be adequate when needed but none of them are something I would go out of my way to visit on a road trip. 

Thoughts from the group on gas station fandom?  I did regularly visit a Wawa when I was down the street from a newer one on Semoran Boulevard in Orlando because convenient access and relatively cheap gas.  Granted this was the same block as the infamous Suncoast Energies and there was a decent gas station until Conway Road.  I wasnít a huge fan of the sandwiches at Wawa and they certainly werenít competitive with the Publix deli around the corner.

kevinb1994:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 22, 2022, 06:43:25 PM ---I canít say this is something Iíve ever found myself ever engaged in but it seems to be prevalent in some corners of the road community.  In particular this type of fandom seems heavily centered around Buc-eeís, Sheetz and Wawa.  Iíve all three to be adequate when needed but none of them are something I would go out of my way to visit on a road trip. 

Thoughts from the group on gas station fandom?  I did regularly visit a Wawa when I was down the street from a newer one on Semoran Boulevard in Orlando because convenient access and relatively cheap gas.  I wasnít a huge fan of the sandwiches given there was a Publix around the corner.

--- End quote ---
Iím a big fan of Wawa (went to school in/near Philly, and thereís getting to be more locations around here) and QuickChek. I wish there were QuickChek locations around here, and was pleased to have Wawa follow me down here from up north.

Now, Buc-eeís is cool too, and Sheetz is, well, Sheetz.

Brandon:
Personally, I donít get it at all.  Sheetz and Wawa are just gas station convenience stores with an expanded food section, not much different than Caseyís here in the Midwest.  Their fuel prices arenít bad, but Iíd rather find somewhere cheaper for fuel.  If I want food, Iíll find an actual restaurant than a gas station.

Dirt Roads:
We know a lot of Millenials who will drive to Sheetz just for a large cup of coffee that purportedly costs more than Starbucks (which is right across the street).

Me personally, I use Sheetz quite a bit because they are the only place that I can get E15 at the pump.  This is only running 20 cents less than regular for the past month, but was running 30 cents or more less after regular gasoline first hit the $3 mark around here.  I've got an elderly relative that lives nearby who has a Flex-fuel vehicle, but I can't get her to buy E85 because she is nervous about what it might do to the engine the first time.  E85 at the same Sheetz station is running 65 -to- 85 cents less per gallon.

hbelkins:
Sheetz has a special place in my memory because it was about the only place open to get something to eat when my dad, brother, and I were traveling on Christmas back in 1990 or '91. At the time, they were basically Subway in their choice of menu items, but it was great to find one open outside of Baltimore for lunch, and in Cumberland for dinner.

My next encounter with a Sheetz was when I was driving the approximate route of Corridor H back in 2000. When I got off I-79 at US 33, I saw Sheetz and stopped. The food menu had expanded by then, and it's continued to grow.

I like Sheets because of the varied menu, especially the fried foods. And honestly, it's a novelty because we don't have them here. For years, the nearest one was at Weston, a good 4 1/2-hour drive, but now they've expanded into the Huntington area. But still, I haven't made a special trip just to get Sheetz, although I will definitely eat there anytime I'm in their territory.

I know much of the Sheetz vs. Wawa fandom rivalry centers on the coffee, but I'm not a coffee drinker, so that means nothing to me. It's the food items that make me prefer Sheetz.

As far as gas goes, being a member of Sheetz' rewards program gets me three cents off per gallon, but if gas is cheaper elsewhere, I'll choose elsewhere over Sheetz. Gas is gas.And since West Virginia's gas tends to be higher than ours or Virginia's, I don't buy gas at Sheetz in Beckley or Princeton unless I have to. There's a Food City on the Virginia side of the state line at Bluefield, and a Walmart near the US 19/US 460 split, that are usually quite a bit cheaper.

I have yet to check out our new Buc-ee's. I'm waiting for the crowds to subside. I'm told, though, that the food is expensive. I'll probably end up going a couple of times for the novelty of it, but it's really not on my way to anywhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version