Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

Towns that are not pronounced as they’re written

<< < (2/46) > >>

rlb2024:
Natchitoches, LA -- pronounced "Nak-it-tush".

1:
Peabody, MA: accent on the first syllable; o is a schwa
Leominster, MA: three syllables, but the one in the UK has only two (and phonetic would indicate four)
Woburn, MA: o is pronounced like in the o in "prove"

NWI_Irish96:
I had to pick up my daughter at a friend's house on Leicester Street. Everybody who lives on the street calls it Lie-Chester and if I hadn't started watching Premier League soccer I'd have never known better.

kphoger:
One that's bothered me before is Zeigler, Illinois.  It's named after Levi Ziegler Leiter (co-founder of Marshall Field & Co.), but notice that the vowels are switched around.  I don't know why that is.  But in German, ei and ie are pronounced differently.  Thus, the name Zeigler should be prounced ts-eye-glerr instead of ts-ee-glerr.  But, of course, the town in Illinois is pronounced the way it isn't spelled.

roadman65:

--- Quote from: cabiness42 on May 27, 2022, 10:33:49 AM ---Place names that come from foreign languages are pronounced differently "as they're written" in their native language than in English.

Versailles in both Kentucky and Indiana are pronounced as they're written in English but not in French.

Pulaski and Kosciusko counties in Indiana are not pronounced as they're written in either English or Polish.

--- End quote ---

My parents both of Polish Heritage would pronounce Pulaski as Puh Lah Skee, and Kosciusko as Cuh Chis Coe.

Also Bogota, NJ is not pronounced as it is in Columbia. It rhymes with Pagoda.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version