News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2026 FIFA World Cup

Started by Bruce, June 16, 2022, 05:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

The host venues were announced today.

Canada
Toronto - BMO Field (expanded to 45,500)
Vancouver - BC Place (54,500)

US
Atlanta - Mercedes-Benz Stadium (75,000)
Boston - Gillette Stadium (70,000)
Dallas - AT&T Stadium (92,967)
Houston - NRG Stadium (72,220)
Kansas City - Arrowhead Stadium (76,416)
Los Angeles - SoFi Stadium (70,240) - needs a renovation because it's not wide enough for soccer
Miami - Hard Rock Stadium (67,518)
New York/New Jersey - MetLife Stadium (87,157)
Philadelphia - Lincoln Financial Field (69,796)
San Francisco Bay Area - Levi's Stadium (68,500)
Seattle - Lumen Field (69,000)

Mexico
Guadalajara - Estadio Akron (48,071)
Mexico City - Estadio Azteca (87,523)
Monterrey - Estadio BBVA (45,460)

This will be the first FIFA World Cup with 48 teams, in groups of 3 and an expanded knockout round with 32 teams. It's going to be a bit of a mess (especially with staggered matches), so we'll see how it goes.

hotdogPi

Didn't they get rid of staggered matches because of something similar to a "tie and we both advance"  situation? Why are they bringing it back?

Also, Gillette Stadium is 20 miles from Boston and actually closer to Providence.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on June 16, 2022, 05:48:40 PM
Also, Gillette Stadium is 20 miles from Boston and actually closer to Providence.

More than a few aren't in their listed city. Levi's Stadium isn't even from SF than Gillette is from Boston. Sports fans have just learned to live with it, outside of the guy that sued over the NY Jets and Giants claiming New York in their name.

NWI_Irish96

Didn't they get rid of staggered matches because of something similar to a "tie and we both advance"  situation? Why are they bringing it back?

Very disappointed that neither Chicago nor Indy bid to be a host, and that neither Cincinnati nor Nashville were selected. My son and I want the once in a lifetime experience of going to a World Cup game and now we'll likely be fighting the entire rest of the middle of the country for tickets for Kansas City.

As for why the staggered matches are back: FIFA wanted the World Cup expanded to 48 teams for more money
European clubs didn't want their players playing more games or for a longer period of time, so the compromise was changing the group stage from 4 to 3 teams, reducing by one game, and increasing the knockout round from 16 to 32 teams, increasing by one game.

Yes, it creates a potential scenario where two teams playing each other can both advance with a draw, but there should be significant differences in the quality of the knockout round opponent to incentivize teams to go for first in their group.

Another impact will be on qualifying in CONCACAF. In 2026, the three hosts will qualify automatically, but with CONCACAF getting 6 spots now instead of 3.5, that's likely the end of the single group final qualifying round (hex or oct), and a move to multiple groups like in Europe/Africa/Asia, and the US and Mexico likely never playing qualifying matches against each other in the future. I suppose they could still do an octagonal like we had this year, give the top four teams direct qualification, and have the other four drawn into a pair of home-and-homes for the final two spots, but that would seem very forced.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: SectorZ on June 16, 2022, 06:01:10 PM

More than a few aren't in their listed city. Levi's Stadium isn't even from SF than Gillette is from Boston. Sports fans have just learned to live with it, outside of the guy that sued over the NY Jets and Giants claiming New York in their name.

A big reason, of course, is that it would be extremely difficult to build new stadia in Boston or NYC proper. Although Robert Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots/Revolution.and Gillette Stadium is looking for a location to build a soccer stadium.

In any event, the teams playing at Gillette will probably fly in and out of TF Green/Rhode Island International instead of Logan. 

JayhawkCO

I'm stoked KC got selected. It's a great soccer city and one only has to go back to see the crowds that joined at the Power & Light District back in 2010 and 2014 to see what the experience will be like.

skluth

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on June 17, 2022, 05:42:22 AM

A big reason, of course, is that it would be extremely difficult to build new stadia in Boston or NYC proper. Although Robert Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots/Revolution.and Gillette Stadium is looking for a location to build a soccer stadium.

In any event, the teams playing at Gillette will probably fly in and out of TF Green/Rhode Island International instead of Logan.

Plenty of room to build a stadium in Boston as long as it used structured parking and relied more on attendees using transit vs driving to the stadium. The parking around Gillette takes up 4-5X more land than the stadium itself. I agree it's practically impossible in NYC.

ZLoth

The biggest problem with the FIFA World Cup in Dallas is that it's at Jerryworld. There are a couple of problems with the stadium:

• Hopefully, FIFA will insist on curtains to block that sun from those windows.
  • Arlington has absolutely NO transit solutions whatsoever. Thus, getting to the game will also pose a challenge.

It's still a better venue than Levi's Bake and Burn Stadium in Santa Clara.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

NWI_Irish96

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/fifa-world-cup-2026-host-cities-los-angeles-new-york-new-jersey-among-top-venues-washington-d-c-snubbed/

Looks like the host venues are being grouped into East, Central and West, with teams playing all their group stage games in the same region. I'm guessing the three host countries get sent to different regions. Mexico likely goes to the Central with Mexico City there. The two Canadian venues are split between East and West but I'm going to guess that Canada goes west and the US to the east.

The host(s) usually get placed into groups instead of drawn, so maybe something like the US heading group A with groups A-E playing in the East. Mexico heading group I with groups F-K playing in the Central. Canada heading group M with groups L-P playing in the West.

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jeffandnicole

Quote from: skluth on June 17, 2022, 01:21:35 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on June 17, 2022, 05:42:22 AM

Plenty of room to build a stadium in Boston as long as it used structured parking and relied more on attendees using transit vs driving to the stadium. The parking around Gillette takes up 4-5X more land than the stadium itself. I agree it's practically impossible in NYC.

Stadiums heavily dependent on transit also need transit stations large enough to accommodate 70,000 people or so on gamedays near the area...which will only be a dozen or so days a year. You'll probably also need transit stops with large parking lots or facilities to handle everyone taking the train. Just because the land being used for parking isnt at the stadium doesn't mean that land isn't being used for parking elsewhere.

Much of the enjoyment of going to a football game is the tailgating that happens before the game. Without that experience, there's numerous people that won't even go to a game. It also will make it appear to be more of a money grab... encouraging people just to eat and drink inside the stadium...at a hefty price.

kernals12

Quote from: JayhawkCO on June 17, 2022, 09:01:13 AM
I'm stoked KC got selected. It's a great soccer city and one only has to go back to see the crowds that joined at the Power & Light District back in 2010 and 2014 to see what the experience will be like.

Also, it's got the road capacity

kernals12

Quote from: ZLoth on June 17, 2022, 01:40:06 PM
The biggest problem with the FIFA World Cup in Dallas is that it's at Jerryworld. There are a couple of problems with the stadium:

• Arlington has absolutely NO transit solutions whatsoever. Thus, getting to the game will also pose a challenge.

This is America. We don't take transit to stadiums.

kernals12

I think DC got turned down because FIFA officials want to stay away from the Justice Department

Bruce

Quote from: kernals12 on June 17, 2022, 03:49:45 PM

FIFA is going to require it (in the form of chartered buses from fan zones). International visitors will need it.

Quote from: kernals12 on June 17, 2022, 03:51:05 PM
I think DC got turned down because FIFA officials want to stay away from the Justice Department

Actual reason is because there's no suitable venue in the DMV and Baltimore's bid was weaker than Boston's.

kernals12

Quote from: Bruce on June 17, 2022, 03:56:47 PM

FIFA is going to require it (in the form of chartered buses from fan zones). International visitors will need it.

Actual reason is because there's no suitable venue in the DMV and Baltimore's bid was weaker than Boston's.
the people who can afford to fly from abroad to the US and pay for tickets to a world cup match can afford to rent a car.

Also, can you have a tailgate party with a bus? End of discussion

Bruce

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 17, 2022, 02:24:59 PM

Stadiums heavily dependent on transit also need transit stations large enough to accommodate 70,000 people or so on gamedays near the area...which will only be a dozen or so days a year. You'll probably also need transit stops with large parking lots or facilities to handle everyone taking the train. Just because the land being used for parking isnt at the stadium doesn't mean that land isn't being used for parking elsewhere.

Much of the enjoyment of going to a football game is the tailgating that happens before the game. Without that experience, there's numerous people that won't even go to a game. It also will make it appear to be more of a money grab... encouraging people just to eat and drink inside the stadium...at a hefty price.

Seattle manages just fine by having two light rail stations to spread the load for Lumen Field, on top of other options in the area. Even the CONCACAF Champions League Final, which drew 68,000 on a Wednesday night, wasn't enough to overload the transit system.

Soccer doesn't really have that tailgating culture, even for suburban MLS teams. Note that newer MLS stadiums don't come with large parking lots and instead direct fans to eat and drink at local restaurants as well as inside the stadium.

Bruce

Quote from: kernals12 on June 17, 2022, 03:59:26 PM

Pretty much everyone in America has a car and the people who can afford to fly from abroad to the US and pay for tickets to a world cup match can afford to rent a car.

And you really want all of the drunk fans, especially those completely unfamiliar with American highways, to drive back home or to their hotel rooms?

Not happening.

kernals12

Quote from: Bruce on June 17, 2022, 03:59:43 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 17, 2022, 02:24:59 PM

Seattle manages just fine by having two light rail stations to spread the load for Lumen Field, on top of other options in the area. Even the CONCACAF Champions League Final, which drew 68,000 on a Wednesday night, wasn't enough to overload the transit system.

Soccer doesn't really have that tailgating culture, even for suburban MLS teams. Note that newer MLS stadiums don't come with large parking lots and instead direct fans to eat and drink at local restaurants as well as inside the stadium.

Red Bull Arena is fairly new and it has tons of parking.

kernals12

Quote from: Bruce on June 17, 2022, 04:01:00 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on June 17, 2022, 03:59:26 PM

Pretty much everyone in America has a car and the people who can afford to fly from abroad to the US and pay for tickets to a world cup match can afford to rent a car.

And you really want all of the drunk fans, especially those completely unfamiliar with American highways, to drive back home or to their hotel rooms?

Not happening.

Philadelphia does fine after the Eagles win a super bowl.

kernals12

I see Bruce is clinging to his belief that transit is a practical and convenient mode of transportation for more than a small sliver of the population

hotdogPi

Speaking of which... why can't you easily get to Gillette Stadium from Providence on the commuter rail? They might need a shuttle service from the Mansfield and/or Sharon station to Gillette Stadium if there isn't already one.

And don't triple post.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kernals12

Quote from: 1 on June 17, 2022, 04:04:57 PM
Speaking of which... why can't you easily get to Gillette Stadium from Providence on the commuter rail? They might need a shuttle service from the Mansfield and/or Sharon station to Gillette Stadium if there isn't already one.

And don't triple post.

Because trains are wicked expensive to build and Because fans come from different places, it's not practical.

Another major snub: Phoenix. That's probably because of the heat.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kernals12 on June 17, 2022, 04:08:13 PM

And don't triple post.

Eh. People who are going to come visit the U.S. should at least visit some culture. To me, Phoenix is the big metro in the U.S. with the least.

kernals12

Quote from: JayhawkCO on June 17, 2022, 04:10:02 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on June 17, 2022, 04:08:13 PM

And don't triple post.

Eh. People who are going to come visit the U.S. should at least visit some culture. To me, Phoenix is the big metro in the U.S. with the least.

I saw tons of culture when I was there.

ozarkman417

Quote from: JayhawkCO on June 17, 2022, 04:10:02 PM
People who are going to come visit the U.S. should at least visit some culture.
..and should at least have some of its cuisine.  Kansas City's famous Bar-b-que joints will surely be taking in some big business, feeding folks from across the world.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.