News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

SO? What's the contractor price for a bott dot, catseye, redeye these days?

Started by LA_MetroMan, November 05, 2012, 12:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LA_MetroMan

First bott dot I ever saw (around 1967) was on the unopened Marina/Nixon Freeway (90) just a few feet south of the 405 transition ramp. They were in this milkcrate type of box. I grabbed me a few (I'd later proclaim kids exemption), put them in my pocket and continued walking until my fried found a box of cats-eyes. These things were cool, amber reflector on one side, red on the other - he pocketed a few. Since we were hitch-hiking all the way back to the valley, I found carrying these botts around a bit laborious and tossed three, keeping just one. I had that puppy for almost 30 years and it somehow disappeared. It should gather comfort knowing that I have touched billions of it's brothers over the 30 years.

So, what's the contractor price for these items these days?

- A mile of road will take you a mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere.

Alps

If you're still out in California, head east on old Route 66/395 past Victorville, or even some of the county roads closer to L.A. Where I found my ceramic Bott's Dot was off to the side of the road at a corner with a whole bunch of newer plastic ones. Basically, if a rural road has dots down the center and/or on the sides, check off the sides of the road. That should save you some $.

Kacie Jane

I used to have a Bott's dot.  (I may still, but I think it was a victim of the last move.)  Found it on the side of the street; I believe it was a snowplow victim.

LA_MetroMan

Quote from: Steve on November 05, 2012, 05:52:04 PM
If you're still out in California, head east on old Route 66/395 past Victorville, or even some of the county roads closer to L.A. Where I found my ceramic Bott's Dot was off to the side of the road at a corner with a whole bunch of newer plastic ones. Basically, if a rural road has dots down the center and/or on the sides, check off the sides of the road. That should save you some $.

LOL  After reading this twice I realized HA - I'm not a contractor. I was just curious what they were paying from the manufacturer.
LOL
- A mile of road will take you a mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere.

Alps

Quote from: LA_MetroMan on November 09, 2012, 12:28:31 AM
Quote from: Steve on November 05, 2012, 05:52:04 PM

LOL  After reading this twice I realized HA - I'm not a contractor. I was just curious what they were paying from the manufacturer.
LOL

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/261916583/KT_602_BOTTS_DOT_CERAMIC.html
Considering retail is $2.39, wholesale/bulk is probably under a dollar. Also considering that a regular stripe is about $.40 per linear foot, and a regular stripe is ten feet long (4 dollars), a Botts dot would have to be competitive with that. With about 5 dots to a 10-foot stripe (guesstimate), that gives you 80 cents. Ballpark.

Brian556

These are very common in North Texas. Some cities mark their streets solely with these. You see them chipped loose all the time. Contractors frequently use them for temporary lane markings (esp. the plastic ones), then scrape them off, leaving many on the side of the road.

Interstatefan78

Great idea for a Bott's dot and even the 101 freeway between the 405 San Diego Freeway and the 126 Santa Paula Freeway has some ceramic bott's dots that date back to the 1970s and 1980s when the 101 ventura freeway was widened to the 8 lane configuration from Sherman Oaks to Camarillio

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.