News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: KelleyCook on Today at 02:50:56 PM
Quote from: Molandfreak on Today at 01:48:13 AMSo it's about refusing to accept/implement some of the conveniences of the modern world just to prove a point? Why doesn't the entire state just convert to a Mennonite community?

Tolling is one of the conveniences of the modern world?

Seems a strange hill to die on; but to each, his own.
Tell me you didn't understand the point without telling me you didn't understand the point. If they could make the Mac free to cross, that would obviously be the best option. However, since that will never happen, implementing a toll-by-plate system and beginning to accept E-ZPass would be the next best option. Because that improves the lives of people by not forcing them to stop at a toll booth during peak traffic. It's completely insane to say that stopping at a toll booth adds to your quality of life, which is the implication being made here.
Quote from: Molandfreak on Today at 01:48:13 AMSo it's about refusing to accept/implement some of the conveniences of the modern world just to prove a point? Why doesn't the entire state just convert to a Mennonite community?

Tolling is one of the conveniences of the modern world?

Seems a strange hill to die on; but to each, his own.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Wilshire Boulevard in MacA...
Last post by cahwyguy - Today at 02:45:34 PM
I wanted to wait until all the gnashing and wailing was done before commenting.

Think about Wilshire at this point. It isn't a major thoroughfare. If you want to cross the city, you're either on the Santa Monica Freeway or Olympic (which is MUCH faster). The local users are primarily transit users. The city wants to encourage people to use transit, and one way to do that is to make driving less attractive. Thus, this proposal.

If I were doing it, I'd make one little mod: Two BUS ONLY BRT lanes through the park. No cars. This makes transit even more attractive, and serves the resident population that uses the buses better.
Off-Topic / Re: Municipalities with unusua...
Last post by bing101 - Today at 02:26:07 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on Today at 12:57:32 PMSpringfield, Illinois, is weird.
Yes and Springfield has a hole in its city limits.
 there is a Woodside, Illinois inside Springfield.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodside_Township,_Sangamon_County,_Illinois
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by J N Winkler - Today at 02:18:41 PM
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 01:19:42 PMHuh.  Never thought about empty trucks that usually transport HAZMATS.  Shouldn't the placards come off in those cases?  I'd imagine they'd stay on out of laziness/lack of time, though.

I checked, and it seems 49 CFR ยง 172.504 allows a hazmat carrier not to display placards if it is carrying no more than 1000 lb of the hazmat, or only the residue thereof in empty non-bulk packages.  This implies there is no actual requirement to remove any placards already displayed when either condition applies, so I suspect the drivers of the empty vehicles are counting on not having their collars felt.
Off-Topic / Re: Municipalities with unusua...
Last post by CoreySamson - Today at 01:39:15 PM
Alvin, TX, has always been extremely weird to me. According to Wikipedia, the weird border around it is to stop other communities from annexing it and has been that way since 1960.
Off-Topic / Re: Target no longer accepting...
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 01:24:04 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on Today at 01:09:17 PMMaybe they should do the military thing and refer to them an 'officers' and 'enlisteds'.

Mike

In the Navy they called by their rate which includes their rank and Military Occupational Specialty. 
Off-Topic / Re: Target no longer accepting...
Last post by kkt - Today at 01:21:13 PM
Quote from: webny99 on Today at 12:32:40 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on Today at 01:48:00 AMWe didn't use "team member" at my last job, but I tend to find that kind of euphemism kind of insulting to my intelligence. The employer is trying to camouflage the employer/employee relationship by instead insisting you're a "member" of a "team".

Again it depends on the context being used but it's not supposed to be a euphemism and if it is it's most likely a failure of implementation on the company's part.

Quote from: Scott5114 on Today at 01:48:00 AMThat way they can later guilt you into calling them out on violating employment laws by saying "hey, we're all part of a team here."

I don't think I follow. Presumably the employer is saying this, but in what context? I don't think "team member" should ever be used in the context of the relationship between employee and employer/HR department, only between an employee and the immediate department/group of employees they work with.

We're a team, but you all do everything my way and if you don't I'll can your ass.
/s
Pacific Southwest / Re: I-11/I-215/I-515/NV 564 He...
Last post by Rothman - Today at 01:20:26 PM
It's a DDI without traffic lights. :D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.