News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2022 FIFA World Cup

Started by NWI_Irish96, March 29, 2022, 06:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Hog

The U.S. needs a quality striker who can finish. Unfortunately, quality strikers do not grow on trees.

I'll ride the Three Lions bus to the bitter end now that the Aussies are out too.

Bruce

Anyone but England. Their fans are insufferable enough.

I'd prefer to have a first-time winner (Netherlands, Japan, Croatia, Portugal, etc.) or Argentina to properly close out Messi's international career.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 03, 2022, 09:48:53 PM
Throw shade at me all you want, but the U.S. men's team is not World Cup worthy regardless of the age of the team itself. One bad decision after another and that's all we show these soccer fans in this year's World Cup? Might as well keep them out of the 2026 World Cup, too.

A) That's dumb.
B) We made the final 16 teams out of 209 member countries.
C) That's dumb.
D) Who would you prefer instead?
E) That's dumb.

Road Hog

I see England, I see France ....

The round of 8 will be pretty tasty.

NWI_Irish96

Is being in CONCACAF an impediment to the US elevating to the next level?

The US will not play a competitive match against another team that made the knockout round before the next World Cup.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 05, 2022, 08:29:02 AM

The US will not play a competitive match against another team that made the knockout round before the next World Cup.
UEFA qualifying is a bloodbath (see: Italy), and CONMEBOL isn't easy either. At least in Concacaf we only have to beat Trinidad in order to make the tournament.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on December 05, 2022, 01:37:17 PM

UEFA qualifying is a bloodbath (see: Italy), and CONMEBOL isn't easy either. At least in Concacaf we only have to beat Trinidad in order to make the tournament.

Sigh 2018.

NWI_Irish96

Making it is easier in CONCACAF, but you also don't play against top level competition that prepares you to win once you're there.

I'd rather make 3 out of every 4 Wold Cups and advance past the round of 16 once or twice over making every World Cup but never advancing past the round of 16.

Bruce

Playing in CONCACAF conditions with full shithousery is good for developing mental strength, but bad for player longevity.

I'd rather see more cross-play with CONMEBOL, especially a whole-hemisphere Copa America every 4 years.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 05, 2022, 01:50:22 PM

Making it is easier in CONCACAF, but you also don't play against top level competition that prepares you to win once you're there.

I'd rather make 3 out of every 4 Wold Cups and advance past the round of 16 once or twice over making every World Cup but never advancing past the round of 16.

I mean, for the record we advanced past the round of 16 five world cups ago (for us).

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 06, 2022, 09:42:50 AM

I mean, for the record we advanced past the round of 16 five world cups ago (for us).

By beating another CONCACAF team.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 06, 2022, 09:44:13 AM

My favorite kind of cannibalism.

thspfc

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 06, 2022, 09:44:43 AM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 06, 2022, 09:44:13 AM

My favorite kind of cannibalism.
Would only rank 3rd for me, behind the Pac-12 in football and praying mantises.

CtrlAltDel

The quarterfinals are set:

Netherlands
Argentina

Croatia
Brazil

England
France

Morocco
Portugal

The only team remaining that is not from Europe or South America is Morocco.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

NWI_Irish96

Morocco is working their way up the Atlantic coast. First they took out Spain. Next they have Portugal and if they win they get France or England.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 07, 2022, 06:58:41 AM
Morocco is working their way up the Atlantic coast. First they took out Spain. Next they have Portugal and if they win they get France or England.

I'll be the pedantic one and say that Portugal touches the Atlantic farther south than Spain, unless you're counting the Canaries. :)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 07, 2022, 08:56:09 AM

I'll be the pedantic one and say that Portugal touches the Atlantic farther south than Spain, unless you're counting the Canaries. :)

Is Cadiz not on the Atlantic?

JayhawkCO

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 07, 2022, 09:00:24 AM

Is Cadiz not on the Atlantic?

I suppose you're right. I was thinking that was a named bay. Consider my pedantic ass incorrect. :)

mgk920

Spain shares a common land border with Morocco, too.

Mike

JayhawkCO

Quote from: mgk920 on December 08, 2022, 12:19:37 PM

Spain shares a common land border with Morocco, too.

Mike

Sure, but neither Ceuta nor Melilla certainly are on the Atlantic.

therocket

CROATIA BEAT BRAZIL IN PENALTIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OH MY GOODNESS WHAT A GAME

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: therocket on December 09, 2022, 12:50:44 PM
CROATIA BEAT BRAZIL IN PENALTIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OH MY GOODNESS WHAT A GAME

I wonder how many brackets were busted.

JayhawkCO

Holy shit Netherlands last minute goal. Let's see who pulls this one out.

1995hoo

What a game. Holy shit.

Mildly surprised there were no ejections when the benches cleared.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Hunty2022

Isn't Messi and Ronaldo retiring after this World Cup?
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.