News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

I guess turnabout's fair play -- if NC can have I-87 and 5xx child, NJ can have a 3di of I-73 -- even if it's a surface street!  (Just a variation of my usual rant about the number "87" in NC!).

Strider

The Ghostbuster

There was once an Interstate 152 in California: http://www.kurumi.com/roads/3di/ix52.html

I think a better place for an Interstate 173 would be along the portion of the US 220 freeway in Greensboro that was not designated as Interstate 73 (Interstate 85/US 421 to Coliseum Blvd.)

Strider

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 28, 2017, 05:36:34 PM
There was once an Interstate 152 in California: http://www.kurumi.com/roads/3di/ix52.html

I think a better place for an Interstate 173 would be along the portion of the US 220 freeway in Greensboro that was not designated as Interstate 73 (Interstate 85/US 421 to Coliseum Blvd.)

Or the Bryan Blvd section from I-73/I-840 east to Benjamin Parkway. That is excellent spur route for I-73

sparker

Quote from: Strider on September 29, 2017, 12:17:31 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 28, 2017, 05:36:34 PM

Or the Bryan Blvd section from I-73/I-840 east to Benjamin Parkway. That is excellent spur route for I-73

In that part of NC there are any number of qualified candidates (lots of older freeway segments & stubs); the only question is whether the expense of redesignation + resignage would be worth it for a freeway that's already recognized by its present number.  That being said, this is NC, so maybe someone in NJ can send the errant "I-173" shield down to NC in case some local politico gets a bug up their ass and wants a new spur Interstate in their district.  Save 'em a few bucks!

bob7374

Have posted what likely will be the last set of construction photos for I-73 between the current northern end in Summerfield and NC 68 contributed by Strider. As seen in the photo below, the road appears almost complete (except for some shoulder work, proper lane markings and exit signs), approaching the NC 68 on-ramp to US 220 North:

Full set at:http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i73seg2.html#photos

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: bob7374 on October 02, 2017, 11:20:24 PM
Have posted what likely will be the last set of construction photos for I-73 between the current northern end in Summerfield and NC 68 contributed by Strider. As seen in the photo below, the road appears almost complete (except for some shoulder work, proper lane markings and exit signs), approaching the NC 68 on-ramp to US 220 North:

Do you know when they expect to sign this as I-73?

Strider

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on October 03, 2017, 02:36:53 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on October 02, 2017, 11:20:24 PM

Do you know when they expect to sign this as I-73?

After the road is finished, which should be within 2 weeks. This picture will be the temporary northern end of I-73.

mvak36

So after this section is open, it looks like the only parts of I-73/I-74 that are going to be worked on are the first phase of the Rockingham Bypass and the W-S Beltway, unless I'm mistaken. It'll be interesting to see if they start any new projects on either of the corridors anytime soon. Maybe some of these projects will score higher on the next round of STIP selections.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Strider

Quote from: mvak36 on October 04, 2017, 12:34:29 PM
So after this section is open, it looks like the only parts of I-73/I-74 that are going to be worked on are the first phase of the Rockingham Bypass and the W-S Beltway, unless I'm mistaken. It'll be interesting to see if they start any new projects on either of the corridors anytime soon. Maybe some of these projects will score higher on the next round of STIP selections.

Yeah, you are correct. The Rockingham Bypass and W-S Beltway are (will) be the parts that are going to be worked on. After these parts are complete, I think some projects will get moved up.

sparker

Quote from: Strider on October 04, 2017, 03:02:23 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on October 04, 2017, 12:34:29 PM

Yeah, you are correct. The Rockingham Bypass and W-S Beltway are (will) be the parts that are going to be worked on. After these parts are complete, I think some projects will get moved up.

Besides those two projects, my guess would be that the remainder of I-74 not up to Interstate standards between Rockingham and I-95 would be the next to be prioritized, followed by work on the eastern portion of I-74 out to at least Bolton; anything east from there into the Wilmington area would, according to current corridor language, be outside the legislated I-74 definition -- and would require legislative changes or additions to be considered part of that "package" -- unless they go ahead and call the Bolton-to-Wilmington segment something else, like a 3di "child" of I-74.   

Heading the other way on I-74, it's likely that any upgrade of the US 52 section north of W-S up to Mt. Airy will be put off until later, since it's a perfectly serviceable freeway as it stands.  And the remainder of I-73 approaching the state lines, will also likely be one of the final segments to be dealt with -- although the north side along US 220 is more likely to see gradual upgrades simply due to the fact that much of it can be done along the present alignment, whereas the south end paralleling NC 38 not only a new-terrain facility but also pretty much dependent upon corresponding activity across the state line in SC -- which likely won't occur until construction of the I-95-to-Myrtle Beach segment of I-73 is at least underway.   

Roadsguy

Did NCDOT ever release plans similar to these, but for this section along the upgraded US 220? There doesn't seem to be a page for this section of the project, and no mention of it on the I-73 project page despite being done concurrently with the other two pieces.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Strider

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 04, 2017, 08:29:01 PM
Did NCDOT ever release plans similar to these, but for this section along the upgraded US 220? There doesn't seem to be a page for this section of the project, and no mention of it on the I-73 project page despite being done concurrently with the other two pieces.

No, not on their website, but I requested a copy of the entire corridor from NC 68 in Guilford County to NC 68 in Rockingham County, and got it from them personally. I think there are some of them posted on http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/index.html

LM117

Sign work still ongoing.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14441

QuoteN.C. Department of Transportation contract crews will close the right lane of a portion of I-73 North at Bridford Parkway for one day while crews perform sign installation work in Greensboro.

The lane will be closed from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 10.

While this section of highway will not be completely closed, contract crews will be working very close to traffic. Transportation officials encourage drivers to slow down and use caution in the work zone.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Strider

On a related news to upgrading US 220 to I-73 just past NC 68 towards the Virginia line, I was told by one of the NCDOT staff that that section is now on a very early planning stage and the decisions on location and/or upgrades have not been determined yet.

From what it sounded like, they are going to proceed with plans for upgrading US 220 and extending I-73 north to Virginia line instead of waiting on Virginia to do their part. The only question is... when.

LM117

Quote from: Strider on October 05, 2017, 05:32:56 PM
On a related news to upgrading US 220 to I-73 just past NC 68 towards the Virginia line, I was told by one of the NCDOT staff that that section is now on a very early planning stage and the decisions on location and/or upgrades have not been determined yet.

From what it sounded like, they are going to proceed with plans for upgrading US 220 and extending I-73 north to Virginia line instead of waiting on Virginia to do their part. The only question is... when.

If that's the case, then it seems that NCDOT thinks it can goad Virginia into building their part. If that's what they're hoping for, then NCDOT is in for a rude awakening...

mvak36

Quote from: LM117 on October 05, 2017, 06:36:04 PM

If that's the case, then it seems that NCDOT thinks it can goad Virginia into building their part. If that's what they're hoping for, then NCDOT is in for a rude awakening...
I don't know if that's the case, but I think it makes sense if they do build it regardless of if Virginia ever builds it since 220 is already existing instead of something like the BVB in northwest Arkansas. In their case, it's all new terrain so it makes no sense for either state to build a road to nowhere. At least in North Carolina's case they can build a freeway all the way to the border and reduce the speed limit at the end before drivers enter Virginia.

iPhone
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Strider

Perhaps, but just in case you didn't know, the Virginia General Assembly approved Sen. Bill Stanley's I-73 bill back in February, in which funds will transfer to I-73 once ALL US 58 upgrades are completed, BUT the I-73 bill MUST be reintroduced to GA sometime in 2018. IF it gets approved again, it is a done deal.

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/news/i--bill-approved-by-general-assembly/article_c80bfb1e-fbce-11e6-9d3c-7727f3ef1261.html

LM117

Quote from: Strider on October 05, 2017, 11:44:01 PM

Perhaps, but just in case you didn't know, the Virginia General Assembly approved Sen. Bill Stanley's I-73 bill back in February, in which funds will transfer to I-73 once ALL US 58 upgrades are completed, BUT the I-73 bill MUST be reintroduced to GA sometime in 2018. IF it gets approved again, it is a done deal.

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/news/i--bill-approved-by-general-assembly/article_c80bfb1e-fbce-11e6-9d3c-7727f3ef1261.html

I'm aware of it. That bill was nothing more than the General Assembly's way of telling Stanley and SW VA "there, we did something so shut up". The fact that the bill has to be approved again one year later shows how little the state is interested in I-73.

The fact of the matter is that SW VA doesn't have the muscle that the urban areas have and Bill Stanley is the only guy in the General Assembly pushing heavily for I-73. I'd like to see I-73 finished, but I'm also realistic about it's chances.

South Carolina will have I-73 completed before VA turns a grain of dirt. Bank on it.

WashuOtaku

It will not be the first interstate to end at the state line, see I-74 and I-99.

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on October 06, 2017, 06:16:03 AM
Quote from: Strider on October 05, 2017, 11:44:01 PM

I'm aware of it. That bill was nothing more than the General Assembly's way of telling Stanley and SW VA "there, we did something so shut up". The fact that the bill has to be approved again one year later shows how little the state is interested in I-73.

The fact of the matter is that SW VA doesn't have the muscle that the urban areas have and Bill Stanley is the only guy in the General Assembly pushing heavily for I-73. I'd like to see I-73 finished, but I'm also realistic about it's chances.

South Carolina will have I-73 completed before VA turns a grain of dirt. Bank on it.

I am very sure they will get I-73 completed eventually. The GA doesn't want to hear any more complaints from the Southwest, trust me. it will get done, but the question is.... when and if it will get completed in our lifetime or not.

LM117

Quote from: WashuOtaku on October 06, 2017, 07:43:41 AM

It will not be the first interstate to end at the state line, see I-74 and I-99.

True, but at least I-99 has a decent shot at crossing the state line and as for I-74, all Virginia has to do is toss I-74 shields onto I-77 when or if WV and OH suddenly have a big change of heart and builds their sections. I-73 is a different animal.

LM117

Quote from: Strider on October 06, 2017, 09:30:52 AM
I am very sure they will get I-73 completed eventually. The GA doesn't want to hear any more complaints from the Southwest, trust me. it will get done, but the question is.... when and if it will get completed in our lifetime or not.

We'll likely be worm poo when Martinsville holds their ribbon cutting ceremony while Future I-73 shields remain on I-581 and the General Assembly debates on the 90th one year I-73 funding bill while NoVA complains about getting shortchanged on transportation funding.

bob7374

Have posted several new photos of I-74 construction in Winston-Salem sent to me by site contributor, J. Austin Carter on my I-74 Segment 4 page: http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i74seg4.html#photos

bob7374

Although the official opening of I-73 along US 220 North of Greensboro has been delayed until November, the route is almost complete as can be seen in photos contributed by Strider, including this one travelling over the Haw River bridge on US 220 North:

All the photos are on my I-73 Segment 2 page:http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i73seg2.html#photos

Also I have posted photos by Strider of new I-73 signage approaching and one the southern segment of the Greensboro Loop on my I-73 Segment 6 page: http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i73seg6.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.