News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NC: The proposed I-685

Started by tolbs17, November 20, 2021, 01:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

Quote from: PColumbus73 on February 19, 2022, 07:53:06 PM
If Toyota wanted direct interstate access, couldn't they locate their plant along I-73? Somewhere around Randleman looks like it would be ideal for them.

Regarding I-685 reaching Fayetteville, I don't see an easy way for I-685 to get there since Fort Bragg / Pope AAF / Simmons AAF already occupy much of the land north of Fayetteville. Maybe it could arc around to somewhere around I-295 & US 401 but then you might as well bring it out to I-95. But I don't support treating interstates as some magic jobs wand.

Doesn't NCDOT already have early plans for a Spring Lake bypass? North of there, it would be easy to upgrade NC 87.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

PColumbus73

Quote from: Roadsguy on February 19, 2022, 08:58:31 PM
If Toyota wanted direct interstate access, couldn't they locate their plant along I-73? Somewhere around Randleman looks like it would be ideal for them.

Regarding I-685 reaching Fayetteville, I don't see an easy way for I-685 to get there since Fort Bragg / Pope AAF / Simmons AAF already occupy much of the land north of Fayetteville. Maybe it could arc around to somewhere around I-295 & US 401 but then you might as well bring it out to I-95. But I don't support treating interstates as some magic jobs wand.

Doesn't NCDOT already have early plans for a Spring Lake bypass? North of there, it would be easy to upgrade NC 87.

Not sure about a bypass, but when they rerouted NC 24 & 87 onto the Murchinson Road freeway, the Spring Lake section of Bragg Blvd got widened to 8-lanes from Fort Bragg to where NC 210 breaks off, it looks like Independence Blvd in Charlotte.

Strider

This. Why didn't Toyota locate their plant along I-73? That is something I have been puzzled for time being. Maybe it was because there wasn't a land available along I-73 (or I-74 for that matter)?

The Ghostbuster

Where along Interstate 73 should a Toyota factory be built? Or should a Toyota factory be built in North Carolina at all?

tolbs17

The crews are planning to begin blasting construction as early at this week. Get ready...

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-03-08-greensboro-randolph-liberty-megasite-blasting.aspx

Edited to add: Here are the conceptual plans for the area.

https://www.ljbinc.com/project/greensboro-randolph-megasite/

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Strider on February 20, 2022, 07:09:49 PM
This. Why didn't Toyota locate their plant along I-73? That is something I have been puzzled for time being. Maybe it was because there wasn't a land available along I-73 (or I-74 for that matter)?

No brainer.  I-73 is not located along any major trucking corridor.  The proposed I-685 would connect to three major ones (Northeast to Atlanta, Carolinas to Breadbasket and Northeast to Florida) plus fair access to the Great Lakes.  If Raleigh hadn't grown so huge overnight, it would have made more sense to build a megasite somewhere in Alamance County along the I-85/I-40 mulitplex.  But swift trucking access to the I-95 corridor via Raleigh doesn't make sense anymore.

sprjus4

Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 08, 2022, 03:45:22 PM

No brainer.  I-73 is not located along any major trucking corridor.  The proposed I-685 would connect to three major ones (Northeast to Atlanta, Carolinas to Breadbasket and Northeast to Florida) plus fair access to the Great Lakes.  If Raleigh hadn't grown so huge overnight, it would have made more sense to build a megasite somewhere in Alamance County along the I-85/I-40 mulitplex.  But swift trucking access to the I-95 corridor via Raleigh doesn't make sense anymore.
Wouldn't a complete I-73 link to I-95 South more directly than I-685 would?

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 08, 2022, 03:45:22 PM

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 08, 2022, 05:03:07 PM
Wouldn't a complete I-73 link to I-95 South more directly than I-685 would?

Only if South Carolina nearly finishes its portion before Toyota completes its megasite factory (three years, maybe less).  US-421 in central North Carolina only needs a Dunn bypass to become suitable for substantial truck traffic.  It's a good 40 miles or so from the Rockingham Bypass down to I-95 won't be suitable for truck traffic until almost all of it gets four-laned.  But to your credit, I still can't get it out of my head that I-73 isn't running from Chadbourn to Tabor City.

sprjus4

Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 08, 2022, 06:41:31 PM
Only if South Carolina nearly finishes its portion before Toyota completes its megasite factory (three years, maybe less).  US-421 in central North Carolina only needs a Dunn bypass to become suitable for substantial truck traffic.  It's a good 40 miles or so from the Rockingham Bypass down to I-95 won't be suitable for truck traffic until almost all of it gets four-laned.
Only Rockingham to Bennettsville is still 2 lane, roughly 18 miles.

The route from there south to I-95 is 5 lane or 4 lane divided highway.

But nonetheless, I-73 is a far higher quality and more desired ultimate product.

QuoteBut to your credit, I still can't get it out of my head that I-73 isn't running from Chadbourn to Tabor City.
That would provide a much less efficient connection to I-95 South from the Greensboro area.

Dirt Roads

But to your credit, I still can't get it out of my head that I-73 isn't running from Chadbourn to Tabor City.

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 08, 2022, 07:05:00 PM
That would provide a much less efficient connection to I-95 South from the Greensboro area.

Definitely not.  The original Great Lakes to Myrtle Beach route via Mt. Airy, Winston-Salem, Lexington, Asheboro, Rockingham, Chadbourn and Tabor City (from which I-74/I-73 is based) is not a good trucking route to get to I-95.  But it still works better than the other routes that most folks take to get to Myrtle Beach. 

Dirt Roads

Only if South Carolina nearly finishes its portion before Toyota completes its megasite factory (three years, maybe less).  US-421 in central North Carolina only needs a Dunn bypass to become suitable for substantial truck traffic.  It's a good 40 miles or so from the Rockingham Bypass down to I-95 won't be suitable for truck traffic until almost all of it gets four-laned.

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 08, 2022, 07:05:00 PM
Only Rockingham to Bennettsville is still 2 lane, roughly 18 miles.

I had no idea.  Ducky uses Apple Maps, which still shows this as a two-lane corridor.  But if you zoom in on the satellite image, voila!  That won't be such a bad truck route.

wdcrft63

Today Governor Cooper announced that the VinFast Corporation will build a plant in Moncure to build electric cars. Moncure is close to the US 1 freeway north of Sanford, which would be convenient to the proposed I-685. It's not clear whether the proposed interstate played any role in the siting decision, but it may encourage NCDOT to get working on the design of I-685.
https://wraltechwire.com/2022/03/29/what-the-4b-vinfast-plant-means-for-the-triangle-and-the-state/

WashuOtaku

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 29, 2022, 07:02:33 PM
Today Governor Cooper announced that the VinFast Corporation will build a plant in Moncure to build electric cars. Moncure is close to the US 1 freeway north of Sanford, which would be convenient to the proposed I-685. It's not clear whether the proposed interstate played any role in the siting decision, but it may encourage NCDOT to get working on the design of I-685.
https://wraltechwire.com/2022/03/29/what-the-4b-vinfast-plant-means-for-the-triangle-and-the-state/

Next AASHTO meeting will have a new request to make US 1 between Cary and Sanford into an Interstate, probably.

LM117

Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 29, 2022, 10:57:25 PM

Next AASHTO meeting will have a new request to make US 1 between Cary and Sanford into an Interstate, probably.

Calling it now: I-87 extension to US-74 in Rockingham via I-40 & US-1.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Henry

Quote from: LM117 on March 30, 2022, 08:40:23 AM

Calling it now: I-87 extension to US-74 in Rockingham via I-40 & US-1.
I can see it happen too. The last time they tried to turn that into an interstate, they wanted to call it I-340 (IIRC), and got rejected. Maybe this time it'll be different, and in Rockingham it will meet up with I-73/I-74.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

MATraveler128

Would it really be necessary though? North Carolina has enough Interstates as it is. The planned I-685 will serve Sanford anyway. Not everything needs to be an Interstate, says NCDOT.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

english si

Quote from: LM117 on March 30, 2022, 08:40:23 AMCalling it now: I-87 extension to US-74 in Rockingham via I-40 & US-1.
Beyond that to Charlotte along US74, surely?

WashuOtaku

Quote from: english si on March 30, 2022, 02:21:08 PM
Quote from: LM117 on March 30, 2022, 08:40:23 AMCalling it now: I-87 extension to US-74 in Rockingham via I-40 & US-1.
Beyond that to Charlotte along US74, surely?

Not likely. At Rockingham I-73/I-74 will also be there (someday), thus making an easy begin/end point. That's is, of course, assuming AASHTO will go along with it.

wdcrft63

I wouldn't get too excited about this. NCDOT has plenty of interstate conversion commitments already. Unless politicians start beating the drums for converting US 1 to an interstate, NCDOT isn't likely to suggest it.

tjcreasy

If an I-87 extension is pursued,  NC should seek to extend the corridor to the SC state line. I-87 could function in similar fashion to I-81 as a truck bypass of major metro areas. Regional mobility would benefit from a Charlotte and Atlanta bypass 20-30 years from now. An I-87 extension to Sanford is low hanging fruit that should be pursued in the near term.

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 30, 2022, 06:19:19 PM

I wouldn't get too excited about this. NCDOT has plenty of interstate conversion commitments already. Unless politicians start beating the drums for converting US 1 to an interstate, NCDOT isn't likely to suggest it.

And even then, it's no guarantee that it'll happen. Like you said, NCDOT already has their hand full, and they ignored the counties along US-421 a few years ago when they were pushing for it's upgrade, presumably for that very reason.

I doubt NCDOT was thrilled when both senators shoved US-421's upgrade into the infrastructre bill at Toyota's request.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

WashuOtaku

Quote from: tjcreasy on March 30, 2022, 06:20:38 PM
If an I-87 extension is pursued,  NC should seek to extend the corridor to the SC state line. I-87 could function in similar fashion to I-81 as a truck bypass of major metro areas. Regional mobility would benefit from a Charlotte and Atlanta bypass 20-30 years from now. An I-87 extension to Sanford is low hanging fruit that should be pursued in the near term.

I also do not see this happening. South Carolina is unable to build I-73 now and the routing would only be a duplicate of that one.

The Ghostbuster

North Carolina probably has too many existing and future Interstate designations at present. Why wouldn't they want to add some more?

wdcrft63

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 31, 2022, 01:23:43 PM
North Carolina probably has too many existing and future Interstate designations at present. Why wouldn't they want to add some more?
I think it's time to retire North Carolina's title as MIOS (Most Internet Obsessed State). That title belongs to Texas now.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 31, 2022, 06:24:44 PMI think it's time to retire North Carolina's title as MIOS (Most Internet Obsessed State). That title belongs to Texas now.

In 2018, Texas was third behind Oregon and New Jersey.  Uh, you did say Internet didn't you?   :hmmm:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.