News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Austin: US 183 south

Started by Chris, July 31, 2019, 01:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

The first stage of the US 183 south upgrade in Austin opens to traffic this week, between US 290 and Techni Center Drive (approximately 3 miles). It includes two new interchanges. It opened northbound on July 30 and southbound today (July 31).

Newsletter: https://mailchi.mp/ctrma/183southinterimopening

1. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard interchange.

2. Loyola Lane interchange

Photos by the Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority.

thisdj78

Nice. Wasn't expecting any phases to open this quick. Hard to tell, does that mean the first stop light when going south is at Tech Center?

Echostatic

Quote from: thisdj78 on July 31, 2019, 04:29:12 PM
Hard to tell, does that mean the first stop light when going south is at Tech Center?

Yep. Currently, the first SB traffic light is at Techni Center (and the last NB traffic light.)
Travelled in part or in full.

MaxConcrete

I visited the construction zone a few weeks ago. The section south of the Colorado River still has a long way to go before opening.

What I found really strange is seeing that the existing overpass at Bolm road (just north of the Colorado River) was gone  (demolished). That overpass was relatively new, less than 10 years.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Austin,+TX/@30.2538819,-97.6804717,674m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8644b599a0cc032f:0x5d9b464bd469d57a!8m2!3d30.267153!4d-97.7430608

This street view shows it demolished
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.252855,-97.6791345,3a,60y,328.16h,92.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUcJEq-Eogg-arRUwz-oAGA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

thisdj78

Quote from: MaxConcrete on July 31, 2019, 09:04:08 PM
I visited the construction zone a few weeks ago. The section south of the Colorado River still has a long way to go before opening.

What I found really strange is seeing that the existing overpass at Bolm road (just north of the Colorado River) was gone  (demolished). That overpass was relatively new, less than 10 years.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Austin,+TX/@30.2538819,-97.6804717,674m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8644b599a0cc032f:0x5d9b464bd469d57a!8m2!3d30.267153!4d-97.7430608

This street view shows it demolished
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.252855,-97.6791345,3a,60y,328.16h,92.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUcJEq-Eogg-arRUwz-oAGA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I wondered the same thing. I figured they would/could use the existing bridge. I also remember bridge pillars in the Colorado river that looked like they were built awhile ago but never finished, are they utilizing those or replace them as well?

Echostatic

Quote from: thisdj78 on July 31, 2019, 10:24:50 PM
I also remember bridge pillars in the Colorado river that looked like they were built awhile ago but never finished, are they utilizing those or replace them as well?

The bridge pillars over the Colorado were built in the 80s and are being used on this project.

longhorn

Quote from: Echostatic on July 31, 2019, 10:46:59 PM
Quote from: thisdj78 on July 31, 2019, 10:24:50 PM
I also remember bridge pillars in the Colorado river that looked like they were built awhile ago but never finished, are they utilizing those or replace them as well?

For all of these years those pillars were a strange sight, good to finally see them used.
The bridge pillars over the Colorado were built in the 80s and are being used on this project.

longhorn

That must have been an interesting engineering report on using 30 year old concrete pillars. The one advantage is they the 30 year old pillars should be stronger, having been curing for 30 years with no weight on them.

Chris

Historical imagery in Google Earth shows that the bridge at Bolm Road was built in 2002-2003. Is there any reason why they couldn't use it? It was already designed for something much larger than a four lane overpass.

thisdj78

Quote from: Chris on August 02, 2019, 02:41:16 PM
Historical imagery in Google Earth shows that the bridge at Bolm Road was built in 2002-2003. Is there any reason why they couldn't use it? It was already designed for something much larger than a four lane overpass.

My only guess is that maybe they are building a different on/off ramp configuration than what the bridge was originally designed for. Looks like there were stubs for future ramp buildout.

Echostatic

Well to start there isn't going to be an intersection with Bolm Road anymore - it'll stop at the southbound frontage road (AKA US183 SB.) A pedestrian bridge will be built over US & TX 183 at Bolm to replace some of the load. Also, the exits are being built in a different layout than what the 2002 Bolm Road Overpass was built for. You can see all this in the schematics:

sprjus4

Quote from: Echostatic on August 02, 2019, 04:54:29 PM

Well to start there isn't going to be an intersection with Bolm Road anymore - it'll stop at the southbound frontage road (AKA US183 SB.) A pedestrian bridge will be built over US & TX 183 at Bolm to replace some of the load. Also, the exits are being built in a different layout than what the 2002 Bolm Road Overpass was built for. You can see all this in the schematics:

IMO, just seems like a waste of existing infrastructure. Unless the bridge was in that bad of shape, which I would bet it wasn't.

NE2

That is the same ramp configuration the bridge was designed for...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Echostatic

Quote from: NE2 on August 04, 2019, 10:14:59 AM
That is the same ramp configuration the bridge was designed for...

No, the exit ramp for the next exit is further down on TX183. However the overall layout is the same.

They probably could have reused the bridge, but it would have been strange for Bolm to end at the frontage road with an open bridge in front.

djlynch

I mentioned the age of the Bolm overpass on /r/austin when it first closed and someone said that it had been decided in the design process for the toll lanes that the original plan had too many conflict points.

I would also bet that it's somehow tied into the promise TxDOT and CTRMA made to the local delegation when the first wave of toll roads was on the drawing board that no toll road would completely replace a free facility, including overpasses/underpasses at cross streets. Easier to keep that promise by eliminating a relatively low-traffic cross street than to try to work a combination of toll lanes and free lanes into an overpass that was designed to be part of an un-tolled freeway.

texaskdog

I saw it for the first time last night, it looked good.  Wish they would have put a new bridge directly across the river instead of that silly jog.

texaskdog

Funny story from a fellow Lyft driver:  He picked up 4 Australians and they saw the section of 183 and said "they're building the wall HERE?"

MaxConcrete

A section on the north end is now open, but there is still a lot of work to be completed on the south end. I'm thinking end 2020 is the earliest full completion.

Photos start from the south and proceed north.

The real item of interest is the unusual median fence being used (see last two photos). I've never seen this style of fencing used in Texas (or anywhere), but I'm thinking this is not the first use of this style of fence, it's just the first time I've seen it. It's not clear to me if this is mainly a headlight screen fence, or if it is to prevent pedestrian crossing. And the random vertical element length could be to make crossing more difficult, or it could be for aesthetics.

Northbound north of SH 71

The northbound traffic is shifted onto the southbound pavement here. It looks like the two mature oaks are going to be preserved in the median.

The toll road authority does not use the standard TxDOT metal truss for overhead signs, they use concrete beams.

This photo shows the unusual median fence. This location on the curve could be a headlight screen, but this fence style is also used on straight sections.

Another view of the median fence. The randomness of the vertical elements is clearly visible where there are some dark trees in the background.

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

texaskdog

The fence is undoubtedly due to all the morons getting killed running across I-35

rte66man

Quote from: texaskdog on May 26, 2020, 01:11:38 AM
The fence is undoubtedly due to all the morons getting killed running across I-35

+1

The way the fence has the uneven tops makes me agree. Plus, the thinness of the 'planks' makes it ineffective in diverting headlights from oncoming traffic.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

texaskdog

Quote from: rte66man on May 27, 2020, 10:11:30 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on May 26, 2020, 01:11:38 AM

+1

The way the fence has the uneven tops makes me agree. Plus, the thinness of the 'planks' makes it ineffective in diverting headlights from oncoming traffic.

In Austin when one gets killed (often half a block from an overpass) they close the freeway for hours to investigate.  They make no attempt to get anyone off the freeway.  If you're stuck you're stuck.  It happens about once a month.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.