Alphabetically-ordered street names

Started by national highway 1, May 08, 2013, 08:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

national highway 1

In San Francisco, there are a series of streets that go from Anza, Balboa, Cabrillo... and ends with Taraval, Ulloa, Vicente and Wawona.
http://goo.gl/maps/bFVF9
Another series runs from Amador to Yosemite, and from Armstrong to Meade
http://goo.gl/maps/75qQR
In San Diego there is Everett, Franklin, (Ocean View), Harrison, Irving, Julian, Kearney, Logan, (National) and Newton
http://goo.gl/maps/TO5fl
Meanwhile, in Silverwater there is Adderley, Beaconsfield, Carnarvon, Derby, Egerton, Fariola and Giffard Sts
http://goo.gl/maps/jhKii

Any other examples where this happens?
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

The High Plains Traveler

Minneapolis and its suburbs to the west go through about three iterations of the alphabet. The most interesting choices are for the "X" streets (Xylon and Ximines being my favorites).
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

theline

In St. Joseph Co. Indiana, major county roads, at one-mile intervals, are in alphabetic order, starting at the north and east edges of the county. As a bonus, east-west roads are named for historical figures and north south roads for trees. (That gets the county mention in the "themed" road names thread as well.)

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of alphabetical names, but the other that comes immediately to mind are all those that have streets named for letters, like A St., B St., C St., etc. They are always in order, of course. Elwood, Indiana takes it to the extreme, with every street, except for the dividers, named with a letter or number.

DTComposer

A lot of examples were given in this thread:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=5480.0

Meanwhile, the original subdivision Alamitos Beach district of Long Beach had the following:

Alamitos, Bonito, Cerritos, Descanso, Esperanza, Falcon, Gaviota, Hermosa, Independence, Junipero, Kaweah, Lindero, Modejska, Naranja, Ojai, Paloma, Quito, Redondo, Sobrate and Termino.

Since then, Descanso, Independence, Naranja, Quito and Sobrate were tied into the street grid to the north, so they became extensions of Orange, Cherry, Temple, Coronado, and Loma, respectively.

Kaweah, Modjeska, and Ojai were renamed Keenebec, Molino and Orizaba - unsure why.

Big John

Tulsa OK:  N-S streets east of the river go up alphabetically from the river with names being cities east of the Mississippi, with a couple exceptions.  N-S streets west of the river go up alphabetically from the river with names being cities west of the Mississippi.

NE2

Washington, DC. Duh.

(They actually go to words after the first sequence of letters.)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

lepidopteran

The Twin Rivers development in East Windsor, NJ does this, separately on each side of NJ-33.  On the south side they have an "-on" suffix as a theme; the first three streets are: Abbington, Bennington, Covington.  They have both an Evanston and Edison Drive, since the development was expanded in the early '80s.

This seems to happen a lot more often than you might think, if even for just 3 letters or so.

lepidopteran

Quote from: NE2 on May 08, 2013, 09:44:00 PM
Washington, DC. Duh.

Not only that, but I think the first set of alphabetized names are 1 syllable, the next one 2 syllables, and the one after that 3.

Brandon

Chicago has a series of alphabetically-ordered street names.  Instead of being streets A* through Z*, there are a series of K's, followed by a series of L's, followed by a series of M's, and so going west from Pulaski Road (aka Crawford Avenue).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

huskeroadgeek

Denver and suburbs do this as well. Moving east from Colorado Blvd., there are 2 sets of N-S alphabetically-ordered street names. Moving west from Broadway, there are 4 such sets.

thenetwork

Off of US-6 just east of Downtown Lorain, OH, there is a stretch where streets named after (the then 49) states in alphabetical order from Alabama to Montana.

In Grand Junction/Mesa County, CO, county roads which run east-west are in alphabetical order by the mile (A Road, B Road, C Road, etc...).  For county roads in between the alphabetical miles, they use fractions (C-1/2 Road, H-1/4 Road, H-3/8 Road, J-1/10 Road). 

I'd hate to live on any of the county roads between F and G Roads:  "I live on F-3/4 Road".  (Think About It!!!)   :crazy:

andy3175

As noted in the OP, San Diego has examples of this. In addition to the set linked in the OP (in the Logan Heights area of San Diego), there are other sets of alphabetically ordered street names as follows:

- Downtown/Middletown/South Park (Ash to Walnut - east-west streets/ordered south to north)
- Ocean Beach (Abbott to Guizot - north-south streets/ordered west to east)
- La Jolla (Culver to Ivanhoe - north-south streets/ordered west to east)
- Point Loma/Loma Portal (Addison to Zola and Alcott to Lytton - north-south streets/ordered west to east)
- Pacific Beach (Allison [now Mission Blvd] to Randall - north-south streets/ordered west to east)
- Downtown/Southcrest (A to C, Broadway, E to G, Market, Island, J to L, Imperial, Commercial, ..., and then T and Z Streets follow in what appears to be their appropriate slots with other named streets in between, followed by several east-west streets named after Greek letters starting with Alpha and ending with Eta - east-west streets/ordered south to north)
- Mission Beach (the ___ Court "sidewalk" east-west streets are clustered alphabetically from south to north)

I am sure there are more examples in San Diego beyond these.

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

SidS1045

Boston's Back Bay has a group of its main streets in alphabetical order A through K:  Arlington, Berkeley, Clarendon, Dartmouth, Exeter, Fairfield, Gloucester, Hereford, Ipswitch, Jersey, Kilmarnock.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

cpzilliacus

Quote from: lepidopteran on May 08, 2013, 10:03:40 PM
Quote from: NE2 on May 08, 2013, 09:44:00 PM
Washington, DC. Duh.

Not only that, but I think the first set of alphabetized names are 1 syllable, the next one 2 syllables, and the one after that 3.

That is correct.  Going north on 16th Street, N.W., the last lettered street encountered is V Street.

The first two-syllable street is Belmont (it "should" be Adams, but Adams Street does not exist at 16th).

The last two-syllable street is Webster.

The first three-syllable street is Allison.

The last three-syllable street is Whittier.

Then come streets named after trees, starting with Aspen.

The last one is Primrose (because after that, D.C. runs out), though there are a few "tree" streets that do not intersect 16th, like Spruce Drive, Tulip Street and Tamarack Street.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

US71

Fort Smith, AR has city names, such as Atlanta, Boston and Charlotte that run east-west, beginning at 2900 south. Yuma is last, followed by Zero.

100--2600 south are A, B, C, etc which also run to 2100 North (U St).

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

1995hoo

I don't think alphabetical street names are all that unusual in general.

The first time I remember noticing them outside of the single-letter street names in Washington, DC, and the single-letter avenues in Brooklyn, NY, would almost certainly have been in the third grade when my soccer team practiced at Ravensworth Elementary in Northern Virginia. Here's a map with the placemark dropped on the school; notice how all the surrounding streets run from "Adair" up to "Slidell." It's so obvious even a little kid couldn't miss it.

I note from the map I just linked that the North Springfield neighborhood located across the Beltway from there (pan to the right on the map) uses a similar system. I'd never noticed that before because I've never gone through that area very often.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

Quote from: national highway 1 on May 08, 2013, 08:36:38 PM
In San Diego there is Everett, Franklin, (Ocean View), Harrison, Irving, Julian, Kearney, Logan, (National) and Newton

I wonder what G and M were.

San Diego has several others.  in Pacific Beach, both the north-south and the east-west operate on this system. 

north-south is minerals: Hornblend (sic), Garnet, Felspar (sic), Emerald, Diamond, [Missouri], Chalcedony, [Law], Beryl, and then several blocks further north we have the disorganized Opal, Tourmaline, Sapphire, Turquoise, and Agate.  I do not know why Missouri and Law are so inserted: they are not alleys but full block-separated members of the grid.

east-west is various city leaders: Bayard, Cass, Dawes, Everts, Fanuel, Gresham, Haines, Ingraham, Jewell, Kendall, Lamont, Morrell, Noyes, Olney, Pendleton - at that point the grid breaks down due to geography, but Quincy may be possibly intended to be a member of that collection.  I do not know if Mission Boulevard was ever an A, as that is where it logically is in the grid.

in downtown, just north of a standard A-B-C grid, there are plants - mainly trees with a few close-enough exceptions: Ash, Beech, Cedar, Date, Elm, Fir, Grape, Hawthorn, Ivy, Juniper, Kalmia, Laurel, Maple, Nutmeg, Olive, Palm, Quince, Redwood, Spruce, Thorn, Upas, Walnut.  Sadly after Walnut are Brookes, Pennsylvania, and Robinson, each of which are fairly regular grid elements just south of the next major arterial: University.  I can't think of a tree that starts with X, but xerophyte (a general classification) or xylem (a part of a tree) would not have been so far off the mark as to offend the botanists.  then Yew, and maybe Zamia or Zinnia.  they definitely dropped the ball on those last three there!

edit: I see Andy beat me to it!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Alphabetical street names are pretty common.  See Tulsa, Oklahoma, for another example (X is Xanthus, for those who are interested).  Labette County, Kansas, has named their north-south rural roads in alphabetical order, from Allen to York.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 09, 2013, 12:42:38 PM
I wonder what G and M were.

For reasons not entirely clear to me, Washington, D.C. omits J, X, Y and Z from its "lettered" streets.

Various explanations have been offered - here is one.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

nexus73

Coos Bay has two alphabet setups in the original section of the city.  The north side uses tree names.  The south side uses names of people.  These streets run E-W.

Numbered streets run N-S.

Rick 
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Alps

Around Lake Parsippany in NJ, there are several iterations that run from A-J to A-R, running through different NJ place names.

Bickendan

Portland has the Alphabet District that overlaps the Pearl and Uptown, starts with SW Ankeny St, works its way up to NW Xavier St.

swbrotha100

Mesa AZ has a series of alphabetically ordered street names. They are most of the east-west streets that run north and south of Main St.

roadfro

Las Vegas does this a bit interestingly. In the north and western parts of town, alphabetically-ordered street names appear as the names of major section-line and half-section-line arterial roadways, with other random streets in between.

North/south arterials, heading west from Rainbow Blvd:
Tenaya Way (a small portion of this alignment is Antelope Way), Buffalo Dr, Cimarron Rd, Durango Dr, El Capitan Way, Fort Apache Dr, Grand Canyon Dr, Hualapai Way

East/west arterials, heading north from Lone Mountain Road:
Ann Rd, Tropical Pkwy (breaks the pattern, not sure if a 'B' existed here), Centennial Pkwy, Deer Springs Way, Elkhorn Rd, Farm Rd, Grand Teton Dr, Horse Dr, Iron Mountain Road, (J & K are skipped), Log Cabin Way, Moccasin Rd.

In an older section of Las Vegas, there are the letter streets 'A' through 'N'.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

kphoger

Chicago:  Belmont, from Cumberland to Pulaski.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.