News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Suggestions and Questions / Re: Login Issues
Last post by kernals12 - Today at 09:30:20 AM
It's working now
Off-Topic / Re: Frustrated visitors sue Na...
Last post by oscar - Today at 09:23:37 AM
I've occasionally used a new-style $50 bill at a McDonald's drive-through. Manager got called to check that the bill was valid, but that process only added a few seconds to my order.
Off-Topic / Re: Changing one letter of a t...
Last post by Big John - Today at 09:22:58 AM
SEW features - Things that will needle you.
General Highway Talk / Re: Exits that could be/should...
Last post by Mapmikey - Today at 09:01:36 AM
Exit 12 on I-95 in Virginia.  This is the former transition from the longtime temporary end of I-95 to US 301 NB. It has an AADT of under 500.  Exit 13 is a 1/2 mile further and accomplishes the same thing.  They did remove access from US 301 SB to I-95 SB.  Eliminating this ramp would also make it so that the 301 SB overpass of this ramp wouldn't have to be replaced (65+ years old) when it gets decrepit.
Last post by hotdogPi - Today at 08:57:15 AM
My grocery store workplace in 2019 had a customer pay for about $140-160 worth of food with an old (uncolored) $20 and three regular $20s. Both the customer and the cashier thought the uncolored $20 was a $100 (since $100s last long enough that a greater percentage of $100s are old-style compared to $20s). It was accepted, and only after the customer was gone did the cashier realize he wasn't given enough money.
Welcome! / Re: Forum functionality issues
Last post by Alex - Today at 08:56:08 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on Today at 06:33:04 AM
Quote from: SignBridge on March 27, 2024, 07:55:07 PMI checked off several topics to receive both alerts and e-mails, but no e-mails were received even though there are new posts in those topics. They're not in my junk folder either. Also I was having the same problem in the old forum but I hoped it would be corrected with this revision.

Emails are currently broken.  No idea why.  So, don't expect any from the forum at this time.

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on Today at 06:24:37 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on March 27, 2024, 02:18:25 PMI tried doing that. I still can't log in from my computer. It won't accept my password and password reset emails won't go through

Emails being sent are still broken sadly.  No idea why.

Are you sure you fully cleared your cookies?  Have you tried a 'Private' window in your browser to see if you can login via that on your PC?  If it works in a Private window, that means not all cookies from the old forum have been cleared out in the normal windows.

Happy to report that I restored email functionality from the Forum. Let us know if you encounter anymore problems with receiving alerts.
Last post by 1995hoo - Today at 08:54:41 AM
One thing about the current generation of US paper currency is that the addition of distinct color to the different bills has helped quite a bit when you do use a $50. Back when the Treasury started redesigning them in the 1990s, introducing the so-called "large portrait notes," the $20 and the $50 apparently looked similar enough at a quick glance—see below—that several times I encountered cashiers trying to give me change based on a $20 when I used a $50 (which caused me to start saying, "That's out of $50" whenever I used a $50). That has never happened to me with the current-generation currency. (Then you had the time prior to the mid-1990s redesign when we were getting ready to leave on a family vacation and my father sent me to McDonald's to buy us all breakfast and gave me a $50. The cashier didn't think it was real money and I had to insist, adamantly and very vocally, that she call the manager.)

Suggestions and Questions / Re: NEW features
Last post by hotdogPi - Today at 08:49:32 AM
It's the one immediately to the right of the YouTube button.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by jmacswimmer - Today at 08:45:11 AM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on March 27, 2024, 06:52:13 PM-Once debris clearing begins, it sounds like the first priority will be removing the steel resting on the ship's bow, which is currently pressing it into the river bottom (as was noted upthread). Then the ship can be refloated and moved out of the way, presumably back to the port or somewhere else nearby as the investigation progresses.

Update from USACE this morning on the debris clearing priorities, which differs from my previous understanding:

QuoteMore than 1,000 US Army Corps of Engineers personnel were activated to help clear the critical shipping channel where Baltimore's Key Bridge collapsed.

Lt. Gen. Scott Spellmon, commander and chief of engineers, explained the team will approach the mission in three steps. Here's what they are:

Step 1: Get the steel truss out of a 700-foot-wide by 50-foot-deep channel, and examine what parts of the concrete are still at the bottom. "Any piece of concrete, any piece of steel on the bottom is just as much as of a hazard as that in the channel," Spellmon said. This step will allow "one-way traffic going in and out of the Port of Baltimore again," he said.

Step 2: Work closely with the Coast Guard to stabilize containers on top of the ship. Then the truss of the bridge that is still on top of the ship needs to be taken off "so it can be tugged to a safe part of the port," Spellmon said. "By removing the vessel, that will allow us to reopen two-way traffic."

Step 3: Take out the remaining 2,900 feet of steel and all the associated concrete and roadway that's at the river bottom.

"We're up to this task. We have what we need," Spellmon said.

(From CNN's continuous coverage page: https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/baltimore-key-bridge-collapse-03-28-24/index.html)
Suggestions and Questions / Re: NEW features
Last post by MATraveler128 - Today at 08:43:04 AM
Where did the image button go? I can't seem to find it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.