Miami or Miami Beach

Started by roadman65, January 19, 2021, 02:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Where is the real Southern terminus of US 41?

AASHTo says 5th and Collins in South Beach but FDOT says Tamiami Trail at Brickell Ave.

I will go with ASHTO.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on January 19, 2021, 02:35:57 PM
Where is the real Southern terminus of US 41?

AASHTo says 5th and Collins in South Beach but FDOT says Tamiami Trail at Brickell Ave.

I will go with ASHTO.
Definitely not South Beach.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

It's mildly interesting to note that while Google Maps shows the road past Bayfront Park and the basketball arena as being US-41, the reassurance shields visible along there in Street View show only US-1.

The "END" shield Wikipedia shows is no longer there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 19, 2021, 04:50:53 PM
It's mildly interesting to note that while Google Maps shows the road past Bayfront Park and the basketball arena as being US-41, the reassurance shields visible along there in Street View show only US-1.

The "END" shield Wikipedia shows is no longer there.
Safe to say, it would be in Miami.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Ghostbuster

I don't think US 41 should have been extended to Miami Beach. It should have always terminated where former US 94 (1926-1949) terminated, at US 1. Even Will Smith knows where US 41 terminates (jest): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwBS6QGsH_4.

OCGuy81

There was a time it was routed over the MacArthur Causeway to end at A1A in Miami Beach.  I'm not sure when they truncated it to the current terminus that AASHTO shows now.

sparker

Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 26, 2021, 01:58:08 PM
There was a time it was routed over the MacArthur Causeway to end at A1A in Miami Beach.  I'm not sure when they truncated it to the current terminus that AASHTO shows now.

Pretty much every US highway that terminates on FL's east coast extends out to A1A (US 98, 192, 92, and 90 do so).  While US 1 is the major surface N-S arterial, A1A hosts considerably more tourist destinations, so FDOT has simply played the role of an effective "chamber of commerce" and funneled those routes right to where dollars are churned.  US 41 was no different, but its role was usurped by neighboring I-395 -- particularly since now A1A is the continuation of that spur Interstate; navigating downtown Miami traffic to continue US 41 past US 1 just wasn't deemed necessary any longer. 

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kevinb1994

Quote from: kphoger on April 28, 2021, 09:22:13 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 27, 2021, 10:49:59 PM
Wikipedia says Miami.

far from official
Except when it comes to sports. Miami was once the spring training home of the Braves.

usends

Wikipedia says Miami.

far from official

The main WP page for US 41 says Miami, but the Florida US 41 page says Miami Beach.

From what I've been able to gather, the official endpoint has been Miami Beach since 1952.  But in 2000 FDOT removed US 41 signage between US 1 and A1A, leaving us with a situation similar to US 127 in Chattanooga: the signposted terminus is no longer the same as the official terminus.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Mapmikey

Then there was that time US 41 South was signed on Brickell...

https://goo.gl/maps/3w1JWmZHfQdU3EcAA

roadman65

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 28, 2021, 12:25:19 PM

Signed the wrong way too as that is NB US 41 notSB.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Ask the guy who spammed all the Freewayjim type Facebook pages with the same question. 

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on April 28, 2021, 12:32:15 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on April 28, 2021, 12:25:19 PM

Signed the wrong way too as that is NB US 41 notSB.

Not signed the wrong way...this is SB Brickell leaving US 41 Tamiami.  Posted as if US 41 south had turned right at US 1.  When I saw this in person, it was around the time US 1 had been (on paper anyway) moved off Brickell to meet I-95 at Exit 2 and I wondered if US 41 had been rerouted to replace US 1 on the surface route.

formulanone

Quote from: usends on April 28, 2021, 12:19:23 PM
Wikipedia says Miami.

far from official

The main WP page for US 41 says Miami, but the Florida US 41 page says Miami Beach.

From what I've been able to gather, the official endpoint has been Miami Beach since 1952.  But in 2000 FDOT removed US 41 signage between US 1 and A1A, leaving us with a situation similar to US 127 in Chattanooga: the signposted terminus is no longer the same as the official terminus.

Anecdotally, there were US 41 signs near A1A back in the mid-1990s. I even remember orange shields just west of the "terminus" with A1A. I don't actually remember seeing a "US 41 West" shield posted at A1A/Collins Avenue...probably because there were lots of distractions to a 20-something in that time and place.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: formulanone on April 28, 2021, 04:01:52 PM
Quote from: usends on April 28, 2021, 12:19:23 PM
Wikipedia says Miami.

far from official

Anecdotally, there were US 41 signs near A1A back in the mid-1990s. I even remember orange shields just west of the "terminus" with A1A. I don't actually remember seeing a "US 41 West" shield posted at A1A/Collins Avenue...probably because there were lots of distractions to a 20-something in that time and place.

I remember US 41 signs on the causeway and in Miami Beach in the 80s.

Rothman

Meh.  US 41 ends in Miami and it is barely posted even there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

OCGuy81

Might be a bit of a tangent, but where does 41 begin being signed as East-West?  Is it the Miami-Dade county line?

roadman65

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 03, 2021, 11:00:31 AM
Might be a bit of a tangent, but where does 41 begin being signed as East-West?  Is it the Miami-Dade county line?

The first E Bound shield.  Then the Milemarkers reflect it east of the county line.

[/img]

In Collier its signed this pretty much.

Sheryl Crowe

OCGuy81

Quote from: roadman65 on May 03, 2021, 11:32:19 AM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 03, 2021, 11:00:31 AM

The first E Bound shield.  Then the Milemarkers reflect it east of the county line.

[/img]

In Collier its signed this pretty much.

Cool! Thank you, and great pictures.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.