News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Kansas City Here I Come

Started by roadman65, October 23, 2016, 01:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Next week I will be in KC doing a road trip with Alex.  We plan to cover many roads and freeways there, and in Wichita as well as spur over east to clinch I-49 in MO from the southern end near the AR Line up to the Grandview Triangle.   I know Alex says there is a nice shield assembly in Downtown KC of the interstates combined with a dash between the two numbers of 35 & 70, courtesy of another road enthusiast here who tipped  him off of it.  There is also the Johnson County work that was under construction last year when I passed there as well that is near or all the way completed.  Also word is that K 10 is extended on freeway pavement further west into Lawrence.

Anyway, anything else worth seeing in that area, or even in Wichita?  Also did the Kellogg and I-235 project get started yet?  Any progress there too?

I would appreciate any help as I would like to see all road things if I can.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mefailenglish

Quote from: roadman65 on October 23, 2016, 01:21:36 PMI know Alex says there is a nice shield assembly in Downtown KC of the interstates combined with a dash between the two numbers of 35 & 70, courtesy of another road enthusiast here who tipped  him off of it.
That was me.  Stumbled across this back in May:

roadman65

Reminds me of my trip in 08 to Indy as there was something similar back then there with both I-65 & 70.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

coatimundi

Quote from: roadman65 on October 25, 2016, 12:22:51 PM
Reminds me of my trip in 08 to Indy as there was something similar back then there with both I-65 & 70.

This one is very typical of Indy:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7572356,-86.1452142,3a,34.4y,150.91h,94.46t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s_Q1s1N5JKP9ma_IfS27DWA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D_Q1s1N5JKP9ma_IfS27DWA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D44.761692%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

They seemed to have removed a lot of them in the last few years. I remember there being more around the actual freeway, but they appear to have been replaced with separate signs mostly.

The KC one looks strange with that italicized dash.

kphoger

235 and Kellogg is currently under active construction, and not all ramps are open at this time. It's definitely worth seeing, with large work underway.

Near Kansas City, 95th at I-35 is a DDI, 87th is a SPUI whose bridge was designed by a good friend of mine, and that same edit northbound also serves the former Tunnel to Nowhere. These are all in close proximity.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Darkchylde

There's a new bridge that just got done a few months back on I-70 just west of I-435 on the Missouri side that may be worth taking a peek at.

Alex

Quote from: Darkchylde on October 25, 2016, 10:43:04 PM
There's a new bridge that just got done a few months back on I-70 just west of I-435 on the Missouri side that may be worth taking a peek at.

The Blue River bridges between US 40 and I-435. Saw the the construction last year and and would like to see the the completed project.

Is the work work finished on I-35 at the merge with US 69 at Liberty finished yet?

Been adding a ton of content to the site and looking around and have a few stops in mind. One is the high level level pedestrian bridge above I-670 to the west of Summit Street.  Is that worth checking out, or does the decorative fence block the view?

Also is the lower deck of the Central Avenue Bridge over the Kansas River permanently closed? Saw that on GSV and wondered.

Would like to see that that double deck 12th Street viaduct too.

kphoger

If you're near downtown KCMO at mealtime, Red Dragon House near 8th and Broadway is the best Chinese restaurant my wife and I have ever been to.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.