News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 69 Improvements in Oklahoma

Started by I-39, June 10, 2017, 06:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

The Democrats need to reach out to the progressive bloc if they expect to win elections in the future. They disenchanted them in the 2016 election and that's what got them beat. Embrace progressivism because it is the future of left-wing politics and if the Dems don't welcome progressives they will start their own party. The establishment Democrats cannot sustain their current model. The conservative Democrat is rapidly aging and younger voters tend to be much more progressive than the Clintonian Democrats. The Democratic Party has moved too far to the right in an attempt to compete with Republicans. If they want to win elections then they have to quit being Repub-lite and stand on their own feet.

Bobby5280

Actually I disagree with that assessment. The Democratic Party has hopelessly lost touch with white working class voters. It's as simple as that. Many of those working class voters were Union dues-paying people, but not really any longer. But those working class folks are still the "little guys" Democrats claim to represent.

Here in flyover country most working class people think the Democrats only care about upwardly mobile yuppies in coastal cities like New York and San Francisco. I personally agree with drawing a tough hard line to protect the environment or stand up for the rights of minorities. But there's also too much old style Democrat cronyism creeping into government workings. There is a good point to be made about streamlining bureaucracy and simplifying regulations. Everyone on this board likes big highways, especially brand new ones. Well, there's a hell of a lot of regulations and legal red tape adding up to totally kill this nation's ability to build big things. Construction companies that want to build some big new highway have to produce giant volumes of crap very few people are going to read more than once or twice. A bunch of this paperwork crap seems to only be there to keep a good number of people in their jobs. The red tape isn't producing anything productive.

bugo

Okies aren't like New Yorkers. They want to be left alone. The Democrats on the coasts don't understand this. Give me single payer health care, medicinal marijuana, better schools, common-sense gun laws and better roads and leave me alone. Raise the taxes on the oil industry, which has literally been sucking the state dry for years. Most of my friends from Oklahoma who are 50 or younger want these same things. Bernie Sanders won the state. This group is bigger than the media will admit. It is the future. I think things will get better in the future as it's mostly the old churchgoers who don't want these things and they're dying off. It will take a while though,

sparker

Quote from: bugo on June 14, 2017, 03:40:20 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on June 13, 2017, 02:31:43 PM
New terrain bypasses would be necessary for Tushka, Atoka, Stringtown, Kiowa, Savanna, Wagoner, Chouteau, Pryor Creek, Adair and even Big Cabin itself (where the highway would need a new freeway to freeway interchange with I-44). Muskogee would need a new Western bypass for US-69. Freeway quality bypasses don't always need frontage roads flanking them. Frontage roads are most often necessary when an existing highway going through an already developed area is upgraded into a freeway. It would be too disruptive to convert US-69 into a freeway along its existing route through those towns.

It should hook into the US 69 freeway south of Muskogee and head basically due north and a little to the east and hook into I-44 near the Rogers-Mayes county line. That would save some miles of new construction and wouldn't increase the distance from Muskogee to Miami by very much.

Wow!  Did I open one fat can of worms with my original rant about OK political stagnation and distraction.  In retrospect, sorry about that!  Maybe this'll get it back to the original subject:

If a western bypass of the Muskogee area would be considered, then why not just diverge from the US 69 alignment somewhere near the big curve between Rentiesville and Oktaha and head more or less straight north to the Muskogee Turnpike near the OK 51 interchange east of Coweta.  That way the facility could serve Tulsa as well (since the probability of upgrading US 75 north of the INT is slim & none) as well as provide, via the Creek Turnpike, a path to eastward I-44.  A little bit out of the way -- but probably economically more feasible than poking a through route all the way north to Big Cabin.  The Muskogee Turnpike would require expansion between OK 51 and OK 364/Creek Tpk -- but at least the ROW's already there to do so.  Just an observation!

Bobby5280

Quote from: sparkerIf a western bypass of the Muskogee area would be considered, then why not just diverge from the US 69 alignment somewhere near the big curve between Rentiesville and Oktaha and head more or less straight north to the Muskogee Turnpike near the OK 51 interchange east of Coweta. That way the facility could serve Tulsa as well (since the probability of upgrading US 75 north of the INT is slim & none) as well as provide, via the Creek Turnpike, a path to eastward I-44. A little bit out of the way -- but probably economically more feasible than poking a through route all the way north to Big Cabin.  The Muskogee Turnpike would require expansion between OK 51 and OK 364/Creek Tpk -- but at least the ROW's already there to do so. Just an observation!

That might be a work-able solution if the road was going to be built as a turnpike. I think one of the reasons why US-69 is so clogged with truck traffic is truckers are using that road to shun-pike the Turner Turnpike and half of the Will Rogers Turnpike.

US-69 does little to serve Tulsa other than pull long-haul trucks away from it. Scooting a new super highway 15 miles or so West of Muskogee isn't going to make much difference for Tulsa metro traffic. I don't think businesses in Muskogee would like their town getting bypassed so far away either. I'm think a new terrain US-69/I-45 bypass of Muskogee could work 3 or 4 miles West of town, starting at the bend South of town near Summit.

As for upgrading US-75 North of the Indian Nation Turnpike to Interstate quality, I think it's still do-able. Some properties would have to be cleared in Henryetta and Olkmulgee would have to be bypassed.

rte66man

To get this topic back on track before it is locked, I will mention that there is an active project on US69 in McAlester to create grade separations south of the US270 interchange.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/contracts/a2016/plans1609/250_1509_ACNHPP-013N(017)SS_1499904/000%20FULL%20FILE.pdf
WARNING:  This is a 192 page .pdf.

The bid was awarded in September 2016 for $ 13,420,172.08 to KOSS CONSTRUCTION COMPANY & SUBSIDIARY.  Project length is scheduled for 385 days and was to begin on February 13, 2017 (according to the latest "Projects Under Construction" report.  I seem to recall the next step is to complete the grade separations from there south to the junction with US69B.  I'll see if I can find something on that.

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

I-39

^^

Are those improvements being done to Interstate standards?

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

sparker

Quote from: rte66man on June 22, 2017, 09:33:45 AM
Quote from: I-39 on June 21, 2017, 10:49:49 PM
^^

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/meetings/a2015/151105/presentation.pdf

Pretty much looks like it.  10' outer shoulders, 4' inner; just made it!  Don't start celebrating now -- from there south to the Atoka/Bryan county line won't see anything similar in the near term.  It's a start (as with the projects south of Durant), but just that; don't read too much into it!

US71

Quote from: sparker on June 22, 2017, 04:21:41 PM
^^

Pretty much looks like it.  10' outer shoulders, 4' inner; just made it!  Don't start celebrating now -- from there south to the Atoka/Bryan county line won't see anything similar in the near term.  It's a start (as with the projects south of Durant), but just that; don't read too much into it!

69 is being resurfaced south of McAlester, but I've seen no signs of upgrading to full interchanges
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

I-39

Quote from: US71 on June 23, 2017, 09:55:30 AM
Quote from: sparker on June 22, 2017, 04:21:41 PM
^^

69 is being resurfaced south of McAlester, but I've seen no signs of upgrading to full interchanges

They'd likely have to build a fair amount of new alignment segments between McAlester and south of Tushka if they ever wanted to go full freeway. 

rte66man

from ODOT:

Traffic Advisories
Tuesday, July 18, 2017

US-69 frontage road closes at Comanche Ave., Comanche Ave. narrows to one lane July 20

The northbound US-69 frontage road will be closed at Comanche Ave. and Comanche Ave. will be narrowed to one lane with flaggers at US-69 from 10 p.m. Thursday, July 20 to 6 a.m. Friday July 21 to install a drainage pipe as part of an ongoing project. 

US-69 narrowed at Comanche Ave. in McAlester through spring 2018

Northbound US-69 is narrowed to one lane over Wade Watts Ave. just north of Comanche Ave. through early August for bridge work as part of the project to reconstruct US-69. Additionally, access to Wade Watts Ave. and Kiamichi Dr. is closed from the US-69 frontage road through mid-August.

This is the first phase of a $13 million project to reconstruct US-69 from Peaceable Rd. to Wade Watts Ave. in McAlester. In addition to the reconstruction of  US-69, this project includes:

Widening the US-69 bridges over Wade Watts Ave. and the Arkansas-Oklahoma Railroad;
Constructing on and off-ramps from US-69 to the frontage roads near Wade Watts Ave.;
Adding a J-turn on US-69 to the northbound frontage road between Peaceable Rd. and Kinkead Rd.;
Removing the signalized light at Peaceable Rd. and Comanche Rd. and permanently closing direct access to these roads from US-69; and
A complete overlay and re-striping of the frontage roads from Kinkead Rd. to Peaceable Rd.

This project is expected to be completed in March 2018. Motorists can subscribe for email updates or check for traffic advisories online at www.odot.org. The contractor can earn financial incentives for early completion of the project.

A second project scheduled for federal fiscal year 2019 will reconstruct US-69 from Kinkead Rd. to Peaceable Ave. including the north and southbound frontage roads and will construct an interchange at Kinkead Rd.

-Yogi Berra

sparker

Quote from: rte66man on July 18, 2017, 04:58:40 PM
from ODOT:

Traffic Advisories
Tuesday, July 18, 2017

US-69 frontage road closes at Comanche Ave., Comanche Ave. narrows to one lane July 20

The northbound US-69 frontage road will be closed at Comanche Ave. and Comanche Ave. will be narrowed to one lane with flaggers at US-69 from 10 p.m. Thursday, July 20 to 6 a.m. Friday July 21 to install a drainage pipe as part of an ongoing project. 

Northbound US-69 is narrowed to one lane over Wade Watts Ave. just north of Comanche Ave. through early August for bridge work as part of the project to reconstruct US-69. Additionally, access to Wade Watts Ave. and Kiamichi Dr. is closed from the US-69 frontage road through mid-August.

This is the first phase of a $13 million project to reconstruct US-69 from Peaceable Rd. to Wade Watts Ave. in McAlester. In addition to the reconstruction of  US-69, this project includes:

Widening the US-69 bridges over Wade Watts Ave. and the Arkansas-Oklahoma Railroad;
Constructing on and off-ramps from US-69 to the frontage roads near Wade Watts Ave.;
Adding a J-turn on US-69 to the northbound frontage road between Peaceable Rd. and Kinkead Rd.;
Removing the signalized light at Peaceable Rd. and Comanche Rd. and permanently closing direct access to these roads from US-69; and
A complete overlay and re-striping of the frontage roads from Kinkead Rd. to Peaceable Rd.

This project is expected to be completed in March 2018. Motorists can subscribe for email updates or check for traffic advisories online at www.odot.org. The contractor can earn financial incentives for early completion of the project.

A second project scheduled for federal fiscal year 2019 will reconstruct US-69 from Kinkead Rd. to Peaceable Ave. including the north and southbound frontage roads and will construct an interchange at Kinkead Rd.

Any maps of the affected areas available for viewing?

I-39

Just go full freeway in the McAlester area already!

Plutonic Panda

They are for part of the project.

rte66man

Quote from: sparker on July 19, 2017, 04:43:36 PM
Quote from: rte66man on July 18, 2017, 04:58:40 PM
from ODOT:

Traffic Advisories
Tuesday, July 18, 2017

See Reply #75 upthread.

-Yogi Berra

sparker

Quote from: rte66man on July 20, 2017, 09:16:50 AM
Quote from: sparker on July 19, 2017, 04:43:36 PM
See Reply #75 upthread.

Thanks; forgot about the illustrations in the presentation.  Well, it's a start -- and takes care of a major-town impediment.  I would imagine, given the track record of the smaller towns along US 69 and/or 75 regarding bypassing -- coupled with the state's current political/fiscal issues -- that improvements to this corridor will be limited to this plus already-planned/programmed projects from Durant south to the state line -- at least for the near term.

bugo

rte66man

Traffic Advisories
Friday, November 3, 2017

Intersections close, frontage roads change to one lane on US-69 in McAlester

The project below is weather permitting:

Drivers can expect the following changes on US-69 in McAlester as part of an ongoing reconstruction project:

The US-69 and Peaceable Rd. intersection is permanently closed
The US-69 frontage road on the east side of the highway will be northbound only between Village Blvd. and Wade Watts Ave. beginning Nov. 8
The US-69 frontage roads on the west side of the highway will be southbound only between Wade Watts Ave. and Peaceable Rd. beginning Nov. 8
Direct access to US-69 from Comanche Ave., Osage Ave. and Wade Watts Ave. will be closed beginning Nov. 8, drivers should use the frontage roads
The newly constructed US-69 on- and off-ramps at Wade Watts Ave. will be open beginning Nov. 8
Southbound US-69 is narrowed to one lane over Wade Watts Ave. just north of Comanche Ave. until further notice

This is the first phase of a $13 million project to reconstruct US-69 from Peaceable Rd. to north of Comanche Ave. in McAlester. In addition to the reconstruction of  US-69, this project includes:

This project is expected to be completed in Spring 2018. Motorists can subscribe for email updates or check for traffic advisories online at www.odot.org. The contractor can earn financial incentives for early completion of the project.

-Yogi Berra

US71

Quote from: rte66man on November 07, 2017, 05:44:46 PM
Traffic Advisories
Friday, November 3, 2017

Intersections close, frontage roads change to one lane on US-69 in McAlester

The project below is weather permitting:

Drivers can expect the following changes on US-69 in McAlester as part of an ongoing reconstruction project:

The US-69 and Peaceable Rd. intersection is permanently closed
The US-69 frontage road on the east side of the highway will be northbound only between Village Blvd. and Wade Watts Ave. beginning Nov. 8
The US-69 frontage roads on the west side of the highway will be southbound only between Wade Watts Ave. and Peaceable Rd. beginning Nov. 8
Direct access to US-69 from Comanche Ave., Osage Ave. and Wade Watts Ave. will be closed beginning Nov. 8, drivers should use the frontage roads
The newly constructed US-69 on- and off-ramps at Wade Watts Ave. will be open beginning Nov. 8
Southbound US-69 is narrowed to one lane over Wade Watts Ave. just north of Comanche Ave. until further notice

This is the first phase of a $13 million project to reconstruct US-69 from Peaceable Rd. to north of Comanche Ave. in McAlester. In addition to the reconstruction of  US-69, this project includes:

This project is expected to be completed in Spring 2018. Motorists can subscribe for email updates or check for traffic advisories online at www.odot.org. The contractor can earn financial incentives for early completion of the project.

I'll have to pass that to the Jefferson Highway folks.

Plutonic Panda

Does anyone have an update regarding the US-69/75 Calera upgrade? OkDOT has said construction is to start in 2019 and I haven't a hear a peep about it for over a year now.

https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=277&article_id=23200

US71

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 12, 2019, 04:54:04 PM
Does anyone have an update regarding the US-69/75 Calera upgrade? OkDOT has said construction is to start in 2019 and I haven't a hear a peep about it for over a year now.

https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=277&article_id=23200

I'll see if I can sneak down there in the next couple days.

rte66man

The only bid award announcement I've seen was last October's award of a ROW clearance contract.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: rte66man on February 13, 2019, 06:13:28 AM
The only bid award announcement I've seen was last October's award of a ROW clearance contract.
OkDOT's recent monthly commission wrap up report outlined the federal government shutdowns impact and claimed some projects were going to be delayed by up to a year. I sure hope this isn't one of those projects. It was reliant on federal funding and I'm unsure if it affects the nesting season of migratory birds. This project needed to happen yesterday, was really hoping to drive through a construction zone here during the summer.

rte66man

Woo hoo!!

From the April 2019 Tentative Bid Openings:

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.