News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

MoDOT Rumble Strips

Started by US71, June 24, 2018, 04:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

It appears MoDOT is now using rumble strips ahead of their construction zones. No warning, they just appear. They are also orange in color. I came across some just west of Mt Vernon on I-44 today. One set, followed by another set about half a mile further down.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

sparker

Quote from: US71 on June 24, 2018, 04:48:16 PM
It appears MoDOT is now using rumble strips ahead of their construction zones. No warning, they just appear. They are also orange in color. I came across some just west of Mt Vernon on I-44 today. One set, followed by another set about half a mile further down.

Without an accompanying sign indicating something like "construction zone X miles ahead", at least at the first encountered strip, expecting drivers to intuit the situation by the combination of vibration and color seems overly hopeful on the part of MODOT.   But then this is the same agency that eschews reassurance shields for tiny versions on milepost paddles -- so self-evident signage may not be their strong suit!  It'll be interesting to see how this "experiment" pans out! :confused:

US71

Quote from: sparker on June 24, 2018, 09:31:38 PM

Without an accompanying sign indicating something like "construction zone X miles ahead", at least at the first encountered strip, expecting drivers to intuit the situation by the combination of vibration and color seems overly hopeful on the part of MODOT.   But then this is the same agency that eschews reassurance shields for tiny versions on milepost paddles -- so self-evident signage may not be their strong suit!  It'll be interesting to see how this "experiment" pans out! :confused:

Well, there are the usual construction zone signs, just no Rumble Strip signage.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

sparker

Quote from: US71 on June 24, 2018, 10:00:30 PM
Quote from: sparker on June 24, 2018, 09:31:38 PM

Well, there are the usual construction zone signs, just no Rumble Strip signage.

Rumble strip signage -- never seen that out here in CA -- and, truth be told, I didn't know such existed, much less was posted anywhere.  I can just see it now:

"That annoying sound you just heard was a MODOT construction-zone rumble strip.  There is nothing wrong with your vehicle.   More of the same ahead!" 

If there is official rumble strip signage out there, I'd certainly like to see some pix! :hmmm:

mvak36

In Kansas last year, they put rumble strips on I-435 WB near the US69 interchange because people were driving too fast in the work zone. The rumble strips in Missouri is the second time I've ever heard of rumble strips on an interstate.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

GaryV

Quote from: mvak36 on June 25, 2018, 01:36:50 PM
In Kansas last year, they put rumble strips on I-435 WB near the US69 interchange because people were driving too fast in the work zone. The rumble strips in Missouri is the second time I've ever heard of rumble strips on an interstate.
SB I-75 approaching the Mackinac Bridge toll booths has them. 

Also MDOT often uses them approaching construction zones.

rte66man

Quote from: GaryV on June 25, 2018, 04:42:20 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on June 25, 2018, 01:36:50 PM
SB I-75 approaching the Mackinac Bridge toll booths has them. 

Also MDOT often uses them approaching construction zones.

I44 has them on the HE Bailey Turnpike approaching the toll gates.  So does the Kansas Turnpike (I35)
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

sparker

As long as they're accompanied by some sort of explanatory signage, the rumble strip concept is probably a damn good idea; indicating the approach to a toll barrier seems to be a natural! 

jemacedo9

PennDOT has a yellow warning diamond with "RUMBLE STRIPS AHEAD" where there are rumble strips ahead of a sharp curve in an extreme place.  The one closest to me is the west end of the US 422 freeway west of Pottstown, where it's the end of a freeway, a sharp curve, and a merge all at one place. 

PennDOT used to use them in some freeway work zones, but without a RUMBLE STRIPS AHEAD signage.

NYS DOT does use rumble strips in some freeway work zones...there are some on I-390 in Steuben County.  Here too, without specific warning.

ChiMilNet

The Illinois Tollway used to have them as you approached the toll plazas (in the days prior to ORT). They have been gone for a while, and I think I-355 was one of the first to do away with them on the Illinois Tollway system (ironically, it was also the first tollway to have I-Pass).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.