News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Chickasaw Turnpike Questions:

Started by In_Correct, October 16, 2018, 08:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finish It?

4 Lane It With East Terminus Interchange.
0 (0%)
4 Lane It To Ada And Interstate 35.
1 (4.8%)
4 Lane It To Interstate 40 And Interstate 44.
6 (28.6%)
Do Nothing.
14 (66.7%)
Undecided.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

will_e_777

Quote from: bugo on November 27, 2018, 10:09:46 AM
I guess you haven't been on old OK 33 between US 69 and the Arkansas border. It was curvy, dangerous, slow, deadly, narrow, winding, hilly, choked with traffic and had poor geometry. It was a death trap. It connected Tulsa and Oklahoma City and points west to the booming northwest Arkansas area and needed to be built. And if you can make it in more than 12 minutes longer than it would be then you would be going way too fast for that road. And if you get behind a slow moving vehicle, it will take even longer. And it's a scary drive, especially at night or in inclement weather. The turnpike is well worth the money.

This bumper sticker was common in northeastern Oklahoma and northwestern Arkansas during the 1970s. I also remember seeing similar stickers for US 71.

I can remember many road trips in the late 80s and until 1993 or 1994 when the turnpike opened, traveling along that 2-lane section of 33 between Chouteau and Springdale with my grandparents.
Rocky Mountain man.

rte66man

Quote from: will_e_777 on November 27, 2018, 03:36:39 PM
Quote from: bugo on November 27, 2018, 10:09:46 AM
I guess you haven't been on old OK 33 between US 69 and the Arkansas border. It was curvy, dangerous, slow, deadly, narrow, winding, hilly, choked with traffic and had poor geometry. It was a death trap. It connected Tulsa and Oklahoma City and points west to the booming northwest Arkansas area and needed to be built. And if you can make it in more than 12 minutes longer than it would be then you would be going way too fast for that road. And if you get behind a slow moving vehicle, it will take even longer. And it's a scary drive, especially at night or in inclement weather. The turnpike is well worth the money.

This bumper sticker was common in northeastern Oklahoma and northwestern Arkansas during the 1970s. I also remember seeing similar stickers for US 71.

I can remember many road trips in the late 80s and until 1993 or 1994 when the turnpike opened, traveling along that 2-lane section of 33 between Chouteau and Springdale with my grandparents.

When I was a student at TU in the late 70's, we used to drive to Fayetteville every year for the TU/Arkansas football game.  I hated driving OK33.  I was so thankful that Dan Holmes worked tirelessly to get that road improved.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

bugo

No, you can't. I couldn't go any faster than 45 when I drove it. It took 30 minutes longer than taking the turnpike. Besides you can drive as fast as you have the balls to on the turnpike and it is a lot less stressful.

Scott5114

It's worth noting that 33 (current 412 Alternate) was probably much worse before the turnpike was built, by virtue of having far more traffic.

The one time I drove 412 Alternate (it was 412 Scenic at the time) I remember thinking that I now understood why the turnpike was there.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MikieTimT

I drove the shun-pike for the Cherokee Turnpike exactly 1 time in all the trips I've taken to Tulsa.  I don't remember it being particularly treacherous, but I remember it taking noticeably longer primarily due to speed-zones towns.  I like to make a game of doubling the speed plates under the curve signs for those 30 and under, so curves aren't much of a bother.  It was mainly slowing down for towns that impacted the trip times.  The Cherokee Turnpike is reasonably priced for the time it saves.

The Ghostbuster

Would anyone be surprised, if one day, Oklahoma decided to demolish the entire Chickasaw Turnpike? It doesn't seem very far-fetched to me.

Scott5114

I would. It's apparently used enough that the time it was shut down for reconstruction, it caused traffic jams in Sulphur. It's also a decent timesaver for people going from Ada to Dallas (which includes people going from Chickasaw Nation headquarters to their largest business, in Thackerville). If anything, I'd expect to see the remainder of it turned over to ODOT and the whole thing become SH-7 Spur.

Scott5114

There isn't one. The original route number system, established August 24, 1924, had north-south numbers with even numbers, and east-west numbers with odd numbers. Most of these original routes were replaced by US routes, and after that, the system was expanded in an ad-hoc manner, with routes getting whatever number was available at the time. There has never been a Great Renumbering as in other states; therefore, some of the original 1924 routes still exist. 9 and 11 are both examples of these.

Because of this, and OkDOT's general tendencies, oddities abound. 251A, for instance, when there's never been a 251, three instances of 9A (and no 9B or 9C), 56 Loop and 7 Spur, and more. There's plenty of instances of short highways that should be suffixed routes getting full two- or three-digit numbers (42, 89, 156) and a few lettered routes that are long enough to cross entire counties. It's a mess.

bugo

OK 11 used to go all the way to West Siloam Springs.

bugo

I discovered this highway while checking out some old Wagoner County, Oklahoma maps. This is SH 251D. It has four termini, much like the infamous OK 77S. I also discovered a SH 251B, SH 251C and SH 251E along with the extant SH 251A. The funny thing is that not only do these connect to SH 251, but there is no SH 251 and there likely never was one. These highways were mostly access roads for Fort Gibson Lake.

Scott5114

Quote from: bugo on December 28, 2018, 04:20:55 AM
OK 11 used to go all the way to West Siloam Springs.

And at one point, it went all the way to Boise City along what I believe is now US-64.

bugo

Quote from: rte66man on November 26, 2018, 07:57:43 AM
I wonder if an FOI request would provide a detailed breakdown, not just by turnpike, but by segment.  Some pikes (the Indian Nation from Henryetta to MacAlester and the Bailey from OKC to Chickasha) have segments that I believe are way more profitable than the remaining segments.  I would also like to see the breakdowns for the 2 urban pikes.

Traffic on the Muskogee Turnpike is usually much heavier on the BA-Muskogee segment than on the Muskogee-Webbers Falls segment so the profits would be higher on the western half of the highway.

In_Correct

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 27, 2018, 03:51:52 PM
I would. It's apparently used enough that the time it was shut down for reconstruction, it caused traffic jams in Sulphur. It's also a decent timesaver for people going from Ada to Dallas (which includes people going from Chickasaw Nation headquarters to their largest business, in Thackerville). If anything, I'd expect to see the remainder of it turned over to ODOT and the whole thing become SH-7 Spur.

The Chickasaw Turnpike also provides a type of bypass for Sulphur, which is very confusing to go through town. Another reason to support Chickasaw Turnpike is that because of its short length, it is basically a tolled bypass of Sulphur more so than a connection to Ada. On the other hand, half of that bypass is Spur 7.

It also brings back my original question of where is the Chickasaw Turnpike supposed to go? (That map is silly. I very much doubt a toll road parallel to U.S. 70.) I had convinced myself that it would have kept going west being north of Davis so it would not have to go through mountains. But the alignment that ends at S.H. 7 seems like they would have kept going south. And would Chickasaw Turnpike have gone southeast of Ada?)

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

rte66man

Quote from: In_Correct on December 31, 2018, 10:46:24 AM
It also brings back my original question of where is the Chickasaw Turnpike supposed to go? (That map is silly. I very much doubt a toll road parallel to U.S. 70.) I had convinced myself that it would have kept going west being north of Davis so it would not have to go through mountains. But the alignment that ends at S.H. 7 seems like they would have kept going south. And would Chickasaw Turnpike have gone southeast of Ada?)

The original intent was for a turnpike from south of Davis to near Henryetta on I40 to serve as a shortcut from Dallas to Tulsa as well as a way to connect Ada to the rest of the world.  Lonnie Abbott was a legislator from Ada that had a lot of stroke.  He was the chief impetus behind getting the Chickasaw built.  He also got ODOT to 4 lane OK1 from Roff to Ada. I suspect he thought "get this part built and the rest would follow".
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.