News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NM 47 and NM 528 in Albuquerque

Started by oscar, December 12, 2015, 03:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

I'm trying to fix up the New Mexico state routes on the Travel Mapping website (successor in development to the Clinched Highway Mapping project), so people can map their travels on the state route system along with other highways in New Mexico and elsewhere. As I near the finish line, I'm running into issues with two routes in Albuquerque, NM 47 and NM 528.

The High Plains Traveler discussed the NM 47 situation in 2012. His take back then was that the north end of that route had been transferred to local control, effectively truncating the route to end at Albuquerque's southern city limit. That sounds right to me as I start digging into it, and in particular recent GMSV imagery indicates NM 47 signage continues north of NM 500 but not north of rhe (unmarked) city limit. Any updates or other thoughts?

On NM 528, State Transportation Commission minutes from July 2011 indicate, though very confusingly, that a chunk of the route has been removed from the state system, between 2nd St. NW (old NM 47) and I-25. The minutes are particularly confusing on NM 528's routing west of 2nd St. East of 2nd St., GMSV indicates no NM 528 signage westbound west of I-25 -- but I-25 and at least its SB exit ramp have very good NM 528 signage. Any thoughts on this situation as well?
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: oscar on December 12, 2015, 03:12:05 PM
I'm trying to fix up the New Mexico state routes on the Travel Mapping website (successor in development to the Clinched Highway Mapping project), so people can map their travels on the state route system along with other highways in New Mexico and elsewhere. As I near the finish line, I'm running into issues with two routes in Albuquerque, NM 47 and NM 528.

The High Plains Traveler discussed the NM 47 situation in 2012. His take back then was that the north end of that route had been transferred to local control, effectively truncating the route to end at Albuquerque's southern city limit. That sounds right to me as I start digging into it, and in particular recent GMSV imagery indicates NM 47 signage continues north of NM 500 but not north of rhe (unmarked) city limit. Any updates or other thoughts?

On NM 528, State Transportation Commission minutes from July 2011 indicate, though very confusingly, that a chunk of the route has been removed from the state system, between 2nd St. NW (old NM 47) and I-25. The minutes are particularly confusing on NM 528's routing west of 2nd St. East of 2nd St., GMSV indicates no NM 528 signage westbound west of I-25 -- but I-25 and at least its SB exit ramp have very good NM 528 signage. Any thoughts on this situation as well?
Wow, confusion about where New Mexico routes begin and end, based on current signage. Whoulda thought it?

As far as 47 goes, I'm convinced that the south city limits is the current north terminus. I drove it a couple of years ago, and even though there is no END sign, route signage stops as soon as you enter the city.

I guess I forgot or didn't note that 528 was to have been truncated. I do remember changes around the triangle of 448, 528 and Coors Blvd. around the Cottonwood Mall that were worded confusingly. What I took that to be was exchanging 448 between Coors and Alameda (528) for Coors on the west side of the mall. 448 was then replaced by 45 south of 528, so that Coors Blvd/Road had the same designation over its entire length. This included the state taking back a piece of Coors between St. Joseph Road and Central Ave. that it had previously relinquished.

Just to confuse things, Streetview of the intersection of 2nd. St. NW (old 47) and Alameda Blvd. (528) has a 528 <-> on a post just south of the intersection, but the marker was obviously removed from the Alameda Blvd. street sign on the signal arm.  And, 47 is still on the 2nd Street sign on the signal arm on Alameda.  But 47 is definitely gone in that area, since at its old terminus - an end-to-end with 556 where 2nd and 4th Streets meet in the far north valley - there is no signage at all except for 556.

I have done nothing with the New Mexico highways web page for a long time, so I need to go back in and review some of what I've written.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

DJStephens

The NM 47 designation used to be on South Broadway, which persists as a horrible undivided four lane cross section despite it's wide ROW.  Not even a center turn lane!  It is wide enough south of Rio Bravo (NM 500) and for a distance north of there as to wonder if it would be been more sensible to have routed Interstate 25 back in the day, along the S. Broadway corridor from just south of Avenida Cesar Chavez (former Stadium Blvd) southward.   The S. Broadway corridor features junkyards, u pull its and other automotive oriented businesses.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.