News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Have any of you not been to your state's capital?

Started by Roadgeekteen, January 05, 2018, 09:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkyatari

Yes, but got to the state capitol building in Springfield 15 minutes before closing.  They let us in to wander for those 15 minutes.

Nothing was going on, but yet, I still got sick to my stomach.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

abefroman329

I've been to many state capitals, but never a state capitol.

hotdogPi

I don't know why so many people are talking about capitol buildings. There is no mention of capitol buildings in the OP, nor are there any misspellings.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

1995hoo

Been to the following state capital cities:

Boston, Massachusetts
Hartford, Connecticut
Albany, New York
Trenton, New Jersey
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Annapolis, Maryland
Richmond, Virginia
Charleston, West Virginia
Raleigh, North Carolina
Atlanta, Georgia
Montgomery, Alabama
Nashville, Tennessee
Indianapolis, Indiana
St. Paul, Minnesota
Austin, Texas (but not since I was one year old at the oldest)
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Denver, Colorado
Boise, Idaho
Phoenix, Arizona
Juneau, Alaska
Honolulu, Hawaii
(Honorable mention: Columbus, Ohio, and Providence, Rhode Island–both passed through on the Interstate without stopping)

Other capital cities I've visited: Washington DC; Ottawa (national capital); Toronto (provincial capital); Quebec City (provincial capital); Charlottetown (provincial capital); Halifax (provincial capital); London (capital of both the UK and England); Edinburgh (capital of Scotland); Copenhagen (national capital); Tallinn, Estonia (national capital); Helsinki (national capital); Stockholm (national capital); and Berlin (national capital).

Capitol buildings I've been inside would be a much shorter list: Washington DC (the US Capitol, not the District Building), Ottawa, Berlin, Juneau, and Raleigh. Walked around outside the one in Santa Fe, took pictures on the steps of the one in Denver, and drove past the one in Charleston. Took pictures in Boise from a block or two away but didn't bother going closer because it was starting to rain and I didn't have an umbrella or other rain gear.

Visiting the Reichstag in Berlin got rather creepy when it came time to exit. For security reasons, they don't just open a door and let you leave. Instead you enter a sort of cube-shaped room with a bunch of other people; a glass door in front of you prevents you from exiting. They then close a glass door behind you and only once it's fully shut do they open the door to the outside to let you out. I could not help but think of all sorts of utterly tasteless Holocaust-related things (though I did not dare voice any such comments while we were still in Germany!).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SD Mapman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 05, 2018, 11:38:55 PM
States I've visited "significant" portions of where I have not been to or through the general vicinity of the capital:
-snip-
South Dakota

You're not missing much.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

SD Mapman

Capital cities I've been too:
Pierre, SD
Bismarck, ND
Cheyenne, WY
Denver, CO
Boise, ID
Topeka, KS
Lincoln, NE
Des Moines, IA
Springfield, IL
Madison, WI

I've only been in the ND and SD buildings.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

kphoger

Capitals I've been to:

Washington, DC
Denver, CO
Atlanta, GA (airport only)
Des Moines, IA
Springfield, IL
Indianapolis, IN (I think)
Topeka, KS
Boston, MA
Saint Paul, MN
Jefferson City, MO
Lincoln, NE
Santa Fe, NM
Oklahoma City, OK
Austin, TX
Salt Lake City, UT
Madison, WI

Victoria, BC

Saltillo, Coah
Chihuahua, Chih
Monterrey, NL

Vienna, Austria
Brussels, Belgium (rail station only)
London, England
Paris, France
Vaduz, Liechtenstein
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Warsaw, Poland

Stuttgart, Baden—Wittenberg
Munich, Bavaria
Erfurt, Thuringia
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Doctor Whom

I have been to the capital of every state in which I have lived (CA, MD, NJ, MI, and VA), as well as the capitals of a few other states, constituent countries, and regions. The only state capital that I did not visit while I lived in that state was California, where I lived from birth to the ripe old age of three.

kphoger

Of those 31 capitals I've been to, I've only been to two capitols:  The US Capitol and the Kansas State Capitol.  I've seen a couple of others from the road (Austin and Des Moines come to mind) but never bothered to stop.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

Quote from: 1 on January 08, 2018, 03:07:22 PM
I don't know why so many people are talking about capitol buildings. There is no mention of capitol buildings in the OP, nor are there any misspellings.

You may have noticed that it's the rule rather than the exception that posters go far beyond the original questions...

1995hoo

Quote from: kkt on January 08, 2018, 04:48:09 PM

You may have noticed that it's the rule rather than the exception that posters go far beyond the original questions...

Oscar mentioned capitol buildings a couple of posts down into the thread. There's no requirement that comments be strictly confined by the contours set out in the first post.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 08, 2018, 04:52:06 PM
Oscar mentioned capitol buildings a couple of posts down into the thread. There's no requirement that comments be strictly confined by the contours set out in the first post.

I just assumed Roadgeekteen might have misspelled the word and actually wanted to know about capitols.  Figured I might as well answer both questions.
Male pronouns, please.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on January 08, 2018, 04:28:01 PM
Of those 31 capitals I've been to, I've only been to two capitols:  The US Capitol and the Kansas State Capitol.  I've seen a couple of others from the road (Austin and Des Moines come to mind) but never bothered to stop.

I'm sure the Des Moines one is because the gold dome is so shiny. Don't worry, it's a nice veneer for the BS that goes on beneath it.

inkyatari

Capital cities I've been to / Through (Cities in bold means we actually stopped to visit)

Olympia
Sacramento
Boise
Salt Lake City
Phoenix
Cheyenne
Denver
Pierre
Topeka
Oklahoma City
Little Rock
Des Moines
St. Paul
Madison
Springfield
Jackson
Montgomery
Nashville
Frankfort
Columbus
Lansing
Harrisburg
Atlanta
Talahassee
Richmond
Annapolis
Dover
Montpelier
Augusta
Providence

DC
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Brandon

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 08, 2018, 07:59:36 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 08, 2018, 04:28:01 PM

I'm sure the Des Moines one is because the gold dome is so shiny. Don't worry, it's a nice veneer for the BS that goes on beneath it.

Could be worse.  You could be one state to the east.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on January 08, 2018, 04:55:59 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 08, 2018, 04:52:06 PM

I just assumed Roadgeekteen might have misspelled the word and actually wanted to know about capitols.  Figured I might as well answer both questions.
I mean capital.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

Because the question posed by the OP is simple yes/no question and those are no fun to answer, so we started adding more info.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

triplemultiplex

I live in my state's capital.  Hell I can see the rotunda from my work.
(Well not right now as it's super foggy.)

Never been in the actual capitol building though.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

KEVIN_224

Downtown New Britain is only 9 miles from downtown Hartford. I've been to Bushnell Park, which is the big lawn on the north side of the capitol building. I can't recall ever being inside the building itself. I have been to the Bushnell Theater across from the capitol on its east side, however. :)

PHLBOS

Capital Cities I've been/driven to/through (& not counting flight connections):
- Albany
- Atlanta
- Augusta
- Boston
- Columbus (courtesy of last year's road meet)
- Concord, NH
- Dover
- Harrisburg
- Hartford
- Montpelier
- Nashville
- Salem, OR (even toured the Capitol Building)
- Trenton
- Providence

and of course; Washington, D.C. (I know it's not a state)
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brandon

Capital cities I've been through, or lived in:
- Lansing, MI (lived in)
- Baton Rouge, LA (lived in)
- Springfield, IL
- Indianapolis, IN
- Madison, WI
- Columbus, OH
- Des Moines, IA
- Lincoln, NE
- Cheyenne, WY
- Denver, CO
- Topeka, KS
- St Paul, MN
- Oklahoma City, OK
- Austin, TX
- Nashville, TN
- Harrisburg, PA
- Albany, NY
- Concord, NH
- Boston, MA
- Providence, RI
- Dover, DE
- Annapolis, MD
- Atlanta, GA
- Jackson, MS
- Phoenix, AZ
- Honolulu, HI
- Salt Lake City, UT
- Columbia, SC
- Little Rock, AR
- Toronto, ON
- Winnipeg, MB

States I've been in, but never to the capital city:
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- Montana
- Idaho
- Nevada
- California
- New Mexico
- Missouri
- Kentucky
- Alabama
- Florida
- North Carolina
- Virginia
- West Virginia
- Vermont
- New Jersey
- Connecticut
- Maine
- Coahuila, MX
- Quintana Roo, MX
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

bulldog1979

I have visiting the State Capitol in Lansing and clinched the adjacent Capitol Loop. I have driven right past the State Capitol in Madison, but not entered the building. I have walked the National Mall in Washington, DC, but I did not enter the US Capitol. Of the other states/provinces I have visited, I have been within the Springfield, IL, city limits on I-55, but I did not otherwise go into town. I have never been within the city limits of Mexicali, Sacramento, St. Paul, Jefferson City, Indianapolis, Columbus, Harrisburg, Richmond, Annapolis, Albany, Toronto or Québec. I will probably tick one off the list later this year since a major conference I attend is being held in the Columbus area.

Hurricane Rex

Another sad list.

State capitals I've been to:
Salem (drive through)
Olympia (family)
Springfield, IL (drive through)

Just for kicks: Country Capitals:
Paris, France (1 week vacation).

I need a good road trip if my wallet cooperated with me.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 11, 2018, 01:55:50 AM
Another sad list.

State capitals I've been to:
Salem (drive through)
Olympia (family)
Springfield, IL (drive through)

Just for kicks: Country Capitals:
Paris, France (1 week vacation).

I need a good road trip if my wallet cooperated with me.
I'm over 3 times older than you and that would still be the reason why I haven't gone on extensive road trips.  Don't feel so bad, half the cities on my list didn't come about until I was in my 20s or later.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Buck87

State Capitals visited...

Bold - actually set foot in
Italics - drove around its downtown on surface streets
Plain - just drove through on freeways

Columbus, OH
Indianapolis, IN
Harrisburg, PA
Boston, MA
Trenton, NJ
Annapolis, MD
Richmond, VA
Charleston, WV

Columbia, SC
Atlanta, GA
Nashville, TN
Montgomery, AL
Baton Rouge, LA
Little Rock, AR
Des Moines, IA
St. Paul, MN
Madison, WI
Topeka, KS
Oklahoma City, OK
Denver, CO
Cheyenne, WY
Boise, ID
Salt Lake City, UT

Washington, DC

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.