News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-49 at Fort Smith's Chaffee Crossing

Started by O Tamandua, August 26, 2013, 02:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Tamandua

Quote from: Henry on July 06, 2015, 12:16:04 PM
Quote from: O Tamandua on July 06, 2015, 11:44:01 AM
I've never seen more hype over an interstate that currently will go to nowhere
That is, until the big gap between Texarkana and Fort Smith is completely filled in, and the issues concerning the Bella Vista Bypass and Shreveport ICC have been resolved.

(Sigh) Don't forget the new Arkansas River bridge between Alma and Fort Smith/Barling.  (Not mad at you...just frustrated at leaders for not seeing what was going to happen here sooner.)

Henry

Quote from: O Tamandua on July 06, 2015, 01:58:49 PM
That is, until the big gap between Texarkana and Fort Smith is completely filled in, and the issues concerning the Bella Vista Bypass and Shreveport ICC have been resolved.

(Sigh) Don't forget the new Arkansas River bridge between Alma and Fort Smith/Barling.  (Not mad at you...just frustrated at leaders for not seeing what was going to happen here sooner.)
Oh, right...that too.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US71

Quote from: Henry on July 07, 2015, 11:46:57 AM
Quote from: O Tamandua on July 06, 2015, 01:58:49 PM

Oh, right...that too.
There seems to be a lot more emphasis on the Arkansas River Bridge than there is finishing the road to Texarkana.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Bobby5280

I think if the I-49 bridge over the Arkansas River gets built (and fills in the gap to Alma and the I-40/I-49 interchange) then that will set up the momentum for the gap between Fort Smith and Texarkana to get filled. I-49 would start extending southward from Fort Smith, probably very slowly but with more progress than is happening now.

US71

Southbound 549 /Future 49 opened just after 10:30. Governor Asa Hutchinson and his entourage were the first to drive the highway.

Northbound is still closed as of 11am and police are stopping anyone driving around the barricades.

UPDATE
Northbound is now open.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

O Tamandua

Quote"This is the exclamation point for economic development here,"  he said.

Tim Allen, president and CEO of the Fort Smith Regional Chamber of Commerce, said the event was another milestone for the area's infrastructure and said the chamber was looking forward to the day when the intersection of I-49 and I-40 places the area in the cross-hairs of economic activity.

Fort Chaffee Redevelopment Authority Executive Director Ivy Owen said the day was a "hugely historic one"  and said the region would benefit from the project's completion for years to come.

Owen said he personally has been waiting for the stretch of roadway to be completed for eight years, while others have been waiting for more than 20 years or so and said it will be a "huge payoff"  to those who have invested their time and money into projects at Chaffee Crossing and other areas across the region.

http://swtimes.com/news/fort-smith-region-state-leaders-celebrate-completion-interstate-project#sthash.9TBmaMwX.dpuf

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.