News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Theme Change?

Started by Hobart, March 26, 2024, 12:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobart

So I logged onto AARoads today after hearing about the Francis Scott Key bridge collapse.

I noticed that I appear to be on some kind of default theme (screenshot attached). Is there any way to change this back, or is this just the new normal? I understand there was some kind of change behind the scenes.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

thspfc

Please go back to the old theme 🙏🙏

rickmastfan67

Quote from: thspfc on March 26, 2024, 12:21:24 PMPlease go back to the old theme 🙏🙏

Not possible at this time.

It would have to be remade from scratch to work with the new version of SMF we're running on now.

There are plans to do this (or at least make it look similar), but this will take time.

SectorZ

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 26, 2024, 12:24:44 PM
Quote from: thspfc on March 26, 2024, 12:21:24 PMPlease go back to the old theme 🙏🙏

It would have to be remade from scratch to work with the new version of SMF we're running on now.

There are plans to do this (or at least make it look similar), but this will take time.

You've already put enough effort getting it running again, count me as a vote to not spend any of your time making it look like the old forum. You'll put all the effort into it and then some update to SMF will render it dead again. I'd love to see the old look but not at the expense of someone else's time.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: SectorZ on March 26, 2024, 12:35:59 PM

You've already put enough effort getting it running again, count me as a vote to not spend any of your time making it look like the old forum. You'll put all the effort into it and then some update to SMF will render it dead again. I'd love to see the old look but not at the expense of someone else's time.

Ditto.

rickmastfan67

There's still other work that needs to get done later.  I've only installed the most basic of mods that we needed to get the forum back online.  I spent like 7h this morning to get this back and running.

As for the theme, it was the plan to still update it to work.  It will just take time.  Maybe I'll put a few hours aside over the weekend to get a start on it since I've already figured out how to host an 'offline' forum for theme testing purposes.

ZLoth

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 26, 2024, 12:40:38 PMThere's still other work that needs to get done later.  I've only installed the most basic of mods that we needed to get the forum back online.  I spent like 7h this morning to get this back and running.

Thank you for your efforts and providing us with a status update.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Voyager

@rickmastfan67 Can you change the SMF settings to allow for the "forever" login? It's defaulting to an hour up to a month but unless SMF changed it, you should be able to do forever still.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Voyager on March 26, 2024, 01:47:26 PM@rickmastfan67 Can you change the SMF settings to allow for the "forever" login? It's defaulting to an hour up to a month but unless SMF changed it, you should be able to do forever still.

The 'Forever' option is still there.  Just log out, then log in and 'Forever' is above '1 hour'.

Voyager

hbelkins

Is there a way to make it look different than the default look it is now? I realize the Button Copy look, which I was using, may be a ways off. It's going to take some getting used to this new look and feel of the forum.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: hbelkins on March 26, 2024, 01:51:21 PMIs there a way to make it look different than the default look it is now? I realize the Button Copy look, which I was using, may be a ways off. It's going to take some getting used to this new look and feel of the forum.

Not at this time, as it takes time to create themes.  So, at this time, we only have 1 theme, and it's the default SMF theme that comes in the 2.1 branch.

Voyager

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 26, 2024, 01:53:52 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 26, 2024, 01:51:21 PMIs there a way to make it look different than the default look it is now? I realize the Button Copy look, which I was using, may be a ways off. It's going to take some getting used to this new look and feel of the forum.

Not at this time, as it takes time to create themes.  So, at this time, we only have 1 theme, and it's the default SMF theme that comes in the 2.1 branch.

It's been a long time since I created the original one for the forum (which I think is what the redesign revolved around, unless Alex made a different one, but the files aren't compatible with 2.1? The old theme uploader was fairly simple but I guess in the last 15 years they've likely changed the entire workflow around it in SMF (annoyingly).

EDIT: looks like a quick Google Search answered my question as many others have asked and the answer is no. Oh well, chance to make a fancy new one (just like button copy to the current sign styling!).

Scott5114

Fortunately, it bothers me enough that I'll probably end up making it if nobody else does. I still have all of the files from when I made the original, so it shouldn't be too hard. (Also I know more about CSS now so I can do stuff like make a dark mode option.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 26, 2024, 08:11:38 PM(Also I know more about CSS now so I can do stuff like make a dark mode option.)
Dark mode option would be a godsend.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

epzik8

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 26, 2024, 08:11:38 PM

Fortunately, it bothers me enough that I'll probably end up making it if nobody else does. I still have all of the files from when I made the original, so it shouldn't be too hard. (Also I know more about CSS now so I can do stuff like make a dark mode option.)

I'll get used to the new look.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Rothman

Would like a "go back to unread posts" button at the bottom of the page.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JoePCool14

Understandable that the Button Copy theme would take time to return, but it would be nice to see a basic dark mode implemented. It's not urgent though, at least for me, since I use an extension that basically creates a dark mode for almost any website that doesn't have one.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

Quote from: epzik8 on March 26, 2024, 09:02:08 PM

Yeah, but I won't, and that's motivation enough for me to fix it. :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

In_Correct

Thank you in advance for recreating the theme Scott. ... as for dark mode, that should not need an extension. My computer set up includes high contrast which the web browsers detect. The result in the old aa roads smf has the text box solid black with black text. It means I copy and paste what I typed. ... if any body is interested in adding a so called dark mode theme ... why not make it " Button Copy At Night " ?! :sombrero:
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Henry

I like the old look better, but I'll give this one time to grow on me.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 26, 2024, 10:27:04 PMYeah, but I won't, and that's motivation enough for me to fix it. :P

I won't either, so thanks!
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

epzik8

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 26, 2024, 10:27:04 PM

Yeah, but I won't, and that's motivation enough for me to fix it. :P

You're one of those who call the shots, and I'm not, so I shall respect this.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Molandfreak

This extension in Chrome works really well for dark mode on the forum. It also makes the logo much more visible. My issue with the new theme is that it really strained my eyes, so this fixes that issue pretty well.

Thanks @JoePCool14 for letting us know about these extensions.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Molandfreak on March 28, 2024, 09:45:48 PM
This extension in Chrome works really well for dark mode on the forum. It also makes the logo much more visible. My issue with the new theme is that it really strained my eyes, so this fixes that issue pretty well.

Thanks @JoePCool14 for letting us know about these extensions.

No problem! In case anyone wants to know what I use, it's called Dark Reader.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.