News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Stuff on Old TV That Would Not Be Allowed Today

Started by roadman65, July 08, 2017, 10:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

See how Camels agree with your throat:

And two just for me....which you'll never see again:

jeffandnicole

Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 08, 2017, 09:22:49 PM
Quote from: GaryV on July 08, 2017, 04:46:23 PM
Speedy Gonzales.

Ironically, IIRC, Mexicans actually love that character.

Much of the time, it's a very small subset of a culture that gets upset about something. They contact the media; the media does a story about how upset these people are, and eventually someone decides to apologize or change a law or whatever.

In many cases, if you take a careful look at the news story, the protesters may number in the teens or twenties. Careful editing will make it appear that the screen is full of protesters. But you continuously see the same people over and over again.  Most people aren't offended, and the results of the protest make it worse for them rather than helping.

US71

Quote from: bandit957 on July 09, 2017, 12:18:55 AM
One thing you never see on TV anymore is commercials for bubble gum. I have no idea why.

Not even Saturday AM cartoons?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SP Cook

Quote from: US71 on July 09, 2017, 08:58:57 AM

Those are gone too.   The FCC came up with a rule about educational content and the networks had to swap the cartoons out for cheaply made nature shows. 

The Nature Boy

Quote from: SP Cook on July 09, 2017, 09:07:22 AM

Those are gone too.   The FCC came up with a rule about educational content and the networks had to swap the cartoons out for cheaply made nature shows.

It's actually worse than that.

Congress came up with the rule, the FCC didn't enforce it very well for 6 years, and then they were pressured by Congress to do something. If the FCC had come up with it, it could be repealed relatively easy but getting rid of the E/I requirement is going to take an act of Congress now.

It's a shame because Congress basically killed the tradition of Saturday morning cartoons.

thenetwork

I was watching an episode of Johnny Carson on TV last night from 1974, and Ed McMahon was mentioning a fundraiser he was going to attend to benefit "retarded" children.

Now the PC term is "mentally challenged".

LM117

Quote from: The Nature Boy on July 09, 2017, 09:26:04 AM
Quote from: SP Cook on July 09, 2017, 09:07:22 AM

It's actually worse than that.

Congress came up with the rule, the FCC didn't enforce it very well for 6 years, and then they were pressured by Congress to do something. If the FCC had come up with it, it could be repealed relatively easy but getting rid of the E/I requirement is going to take an act of Congress now.

It's a shame because Congress basically killed the tradition of Saturday morning cartoons.

Congress fucking things up...what else is new? :meh:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

1995hoo

Here's an old favorite from the DC area. I'm sure they'd never allow the two kids at the end today because they'd call it stereotypical.

If the singer's voice sounds familiar, that's because it's Nils Lofgren.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7PEMGuA6tw
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Stephane Dumas

Any Tex Avery cartoon would had triggered the various Peggy Charen and others trigglypuffs.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4832ax_batty-baseball-1944_fun

I-39

Johnny Bravo on Cartoon Network would never be allowed today. That should had a mild edginess to it and people are too sensitive these days.

Stephane Dumas

I couldn't resist to post this one. ^^;   We won't see "real news" on CNN anymore with all the #CNNBlackmail and #CNNmemewars happening.  :pan:

But we could still watch various Downfall parodies clips on Youtube/Dailymotion/Vimeo/etc.... ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWKgZv7CXD8

Stephane Dumas

bing101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VApZrgriw_8

The TV edition of Ghostbusters. I don't think the part of Slimer kissing the front desk lady would work in 2017. Certain people will find that offensive though.

bing101

http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/The_Bogeyman_Is_Back.

That episode storyline cannot be done anymore due to the sensitivity of the post 9/11 fallout.

GCrites

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 09, 2017, 07:35:33 PM
We don't see a scene like that often in any recent Disney toons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuclnKHE12A

I seem to recall Baloo drinking at Louie's before flying fairly often.

The Duke Boys definitely were seen drinking beer at the Boar's Nest then hopping in the General if they had to chase someone.

Takumi

Pretty much this whole skit. Especially the line "well today you're not gay, but one day you wake up, you like men, Gerald Ford dies and we're screwed!" and the Zimbabwe part.
https://youtu.be/fvQKH1O4Hkw
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

US71

There was a (classic) Hawaii Five-O that was only seen once.

okc1

I suspect Quick Draw McGraw, Yosemite Sam, and other cartoon characters using guns casually were pulled for fear kids would copy them.
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

21stCenturyRoad

The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

SP Cook

Quote from: US71 on July 09, 2017, 11:36:17 PM

Really?  Details?

I do know that I Love Lucy had probably the first use of what became a sit-com standard of a Christmas Carol with Fred as Scrooge, but appartently is was so unfunny and mean spirited that it was never rerun and not included in the syndication until being "found" (it really was not lost) and released in the early 90s.

US71

Quote from: SP Cook on July 10, 2017, 10:42:36 AM
Quote from: US71 on July 09, 2017, 11:36:17 PM

Really?  Details?

Per Wikipedia: "Bored, She Hung Herself", the 16th episode of the second season, depicted a Five-O investigation into the apparent suicide of a woman by hanging, which she was supposedly practicing as part of a health regimen. A viewer reportedly died trying the same technique, and as a result, the episode was not rebroadcast, was never included in any syndication packages, and has not been included on any DVD release of the show to date

vdeane

Quote from: US71 on July 10, 2017, 12:12:39 PM
Per Wikipedia: "Bored, She Hung Herself", the 16th episode of the second season, depicted a Five-O investigation into the apparent suicide of a woman by hanging, which she was supposedly practicing as part of a health regimen. A viewer reportedly died trying the same technique, and as a result, the episode was not rebroadcast, was never included in any syndication packages, and has not been included on any DVD release of the show to date
Sounds like the Porygon episode of the Pokemon anime.  The episode included rapidly flashing colors that gave kids seizures; the dubbing company was prepared to edit the video to fix it, but instead the episode received an international ban and will never be seen again.

Speaking of anime, content standards in Japan have gotten stricter in recent years, so even some 90s anime/manga like Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura could not be produced today, which has actually affected recent releases; Sailor Moon Crystal had to edit out the nightmare fuel to make the monsters less scary, and the new arc of Cardcaptor Sakura actually has one of the minor characters written out entirely.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Stephane Dumas

bing101

Quote from: 21stCenturyRoad on July 10, 2017, 10:16:54 AM
Anything by Archie Bunker

Anything by Bill Cosby will not be allowed on TV today for pretty obvious reasons.

bing101

If you are from Los Angeles You remember the Wally George show. This person would not be on local TV today. If Wally George was done today then it would be on national news every night like any rant the president makes on Twitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9BVvmE1a8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPWQ4oVP-3Q

If Morton Downey did his show today then it would be a battle on Cable News over the presidents connections to two talk show host in question both Wally George and Morton Downey and it becomes a cabinet scandal.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.