News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Construction Cones & Barrels & line striping

Started by Mergingtraffic, April 08, 2010, 07:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

I remember growing up backin the day and see yellow cones with black bottoms.  I think yellow cones are from the early 60s.  Actually the tippy top was black too.  I also remember orange metal round barrels with white stripes and just regular large cones.

Today, the cones I see aren't really cones, they are large rectangle type cones & plastic barrels.

Anybody have any old construction stuff? Cones, barrell etc.

Also, I remember my school used to have children's books on road building.  One book fromthe 1960s showed a picture of crews painting a broken center line on a cement freeway.  The device had a needle that went between the cement slabs to keep the lines straight.

Any memories for you?

Below, I always thought they used trucks, if I did it itwould be crooked.

By the way, when they paint lines from a truck, how do they match it so closely? Is there a computer on board that tells them when to paint? mirrors etc?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

CASIGNS

I have two old Black and Yellow, 12" traffic cones used by the old California Division of Highways in the early 60's.  Send me an email and I will send photos.

Brian

roadfro

Quote from: doofy103 on April 08, 2010, 07:44:24 PM
Today, the cones I see aren't really cones, they are large rectangle type cones & plastic barrels.

The main types of construction channelizing devices are drums (aka barrels), cones, tubular markers, vertical panels and barricades.  The rectangular cones you're referring to are most likely vertical panels.

It seems many agencies don't really use cones much anymore, likely due to the fact that typical cones are rather short and not as visible to traffic. Caltrans seems to still use cones quite a bit, but Nevada DOT doesn't use them at all, instead favoring tubular markers.

Quote from: doofy103
I always thought they used trucks [to paint lane lines], if I did it itwould be crooked.

By the way, when they paint lines from a truck, how do they match it so closely? Is there a computer on board that tells them when to paint? mirrors etc?

Trucks are generally used to paint lane lines.

When lines need to be painted on a new or resurfaced roadway, crews usually first go and put down a pilot line on the road surface for the painters to follow. This generally consists of small spray paint marks placed at regular intervals and wherever the line shifts transversely across the surface. This ensures the paint truck will follow a generally steady and straight course as it travels along the road.  As to the spacing of the lines, I believe this is achieved through computers or other technology on board the paint truck.  By now, there may even be trucks that can place paint through digitized plans and GPS triangulation--I don't know if these actually exist, but the technology has advanced enough that this can't be too far off it's not out there now.

I believe the placement of raised pavement markers is achieved in a similar fashion. I've seen roads where there are points placed for each individual RPM. I'm not sure if the RPMs are typically placed by hand or through some sort of automated process.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Brian556

As for the history of work zone devices:
Barricades were wood, the stripes were black & white.
"smudge pots" and lanterns were used before battery powered lights.
Older battery powered lights had metal cases and lens rims.

As for channeling devices:
Cones w/o reflective collars: Daytime use only
Cones w/ reflective collars: Nighttime use at ATTENDED work areas only.
At work zones that are unattended at night, more substantial devices such as drums, vertical panels, or 42 inch cones w/ detachable base and 4 orange /white stripes are to be used. It is desirable to use the more substantial devices even at attended work zones because the 28 inch reflective cones really aren't that visable at night.

mightyace

Quote from: roadfro on April 09, 2010, 01:55:47 AM
It seems many agencies don't really use cones much anymore, likely due to the fact that typical cones are rather short and not as visible to traffic. Caltrans seems to still use cones quite a bit, but Nevada DOT doesn't use them at all, instead favoring tubular markers.

Cones are used quite often here in TN for temporary lane closings.  I've passed by several setups in just the last week.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

architect77

Don't forget NC State student's infamous barrel monster....

Ian

Quote from: architect77 on April 10, 2010, 08:03:04 PM
Don't forget NC State student's infamous barrel monster....

Oh, so it IS real! I saw it on the funny pics app on my iPhone and thought it was fake.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

architect77

Yes it's real, and the guy had to do community service. The company who owned the stolen barrels, however, was so impressed that they commisioned him to do another piece for their company's headquarters. Then, a few months ago, I think the city of Raleigh held an exhibit downtown of more of his work. Now the guy is quasi-famous.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.