News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Motorcycle 'lane splitting': Good or bad?

Started by Revive 755, April 22, 2010, 02:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

http://articles.sfgate.com/2000-10-30/news/17664760_1_lane-splitting-motorcyclists-bay-bridge

This does not seem like a good idea to me, especially in the situation mentioned in the article where motorcyclist rides between lines of cars ahead of a toll plaza.  There's issues with merging/cutting into line at the toll plaza.  As to being safer than waiting in line, I don't know about anyone being forced to ride a motorcycle.

Definitely like to see some other opinions here.

J N Winkler

Lane splitting is legal in California and is safe as long as it is done carefully.  The same is true when it is done with a bicycle, as I do on a more or less daily basis.

Things to avoid when lane splitting:

*  Being in the tracking area of large vehicles near the approach to an intersection

*  Being in the door zone of any vehicle in a location where passengers are likely to get out of the car

*  Allowing a large speed differential to develop between yourself and the surrounding vehicles

*  Making unpredictable maneuvers when in the blind spot of any vehicle which is likely to make a conflicting move
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Duke87

1) Riding a motorcycle is dangerous regardless of how you do it.
2) Either way, the danger is to the biker, not to other motorists.

Thus, I see no reason to not allow lane splitting. It's not a threat to anyone who isn't willingly accepting the danger. And if studies are saying it may actually be safer than sitting in traffic, then the argument of "we need to ban it because it's dangerous" really starts to fall apart.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

The Premier

Quote from: Duke87 on April 22, 2010, 03:19:05 PM
1) Riding a motorcycle is dangerous regardless of how you do it.
2) Either way, the danger is to the biker, not to other motorists.

Thus, I see no reason to not allow lane splitting. It's not a threat to anyone who isn't willingly accepting the danger. And if studies are saying it may actually be safer than sitting in traffic, then the argument of "we need to ban it because it's dangerous" really starts to fall apart.

I believe lane splitting is a good thing. Not only it is more safer than sitting in traffic, but for police motorcycles, they can get to an emergency faster.
Alex P. Dent

Bryant5493

Lane splitting can be done safely, but I've seen many motorcycle riders do it poorly and dangerously. I was riding on Riverdale Road/Georgia State Route 139 in northern Clayton County a few years ago. The road has been rerouted, to make way for the Atlanta Airport's 5th runway; therefore, the road's shaped like a snake. Traffic's moving pretty good. There's a car next to me and we're in one of the curves. The guy on the motorcycle splits us.

Riverdale Road

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Brandon

My feelings are that it is inherently unsafe and just plain rude.  All it takes is a vehicle changing lanes to collide with them, and having them ride on the lane lines is more akin to line jumping which may cause road rage.

Most folks who do that (illegally) around here are the jerks on the crotch rockets.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

mightyace

^^^

I tend to agree with Brandon here.

I put lane splitting in the same category as "Berm Running" by vehicles of all types.

The example with the toll plaza is one time where legal or not it is rude.  If I'm waiting to go through the cash lanes and some motorcycle zips beside me and jumps in the toll line somewhere ahead of me, that's just not right.

Even if the study is right and it is safer, it doesn't appear to be safer.

And certainly, the blind spot for a motorcycle passing a couple feet to my left is much greater than if he/she was in the left lane.

And, yes, when I was in grad school in Baltimore, I "lane split" with my bike especially in the parking lane.  But, I was young and foolish!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

corco

Of course emergency vehicles should be able to lane split, but that doesn't mean everybody else should be allowed to.

I disagree with it in principle- when I'm in a lane I believe I own everything horizontally between the white lines, and I don't want a motorcyclist to enter my lane space, especially not to pass me.

I suppose there's no real problem with it being legal besides that it is annoying. However, if I as the driver of a car fail to account for the presence of a lane splitter and flatten you, it shouldn't be my fault. Lane splitters should have to do so at their own peril and be automatically at-fault should they get into a collision.

Sykotyk

Quote from: corco on April 22, 2010, 05:28:40 PM
Of course emergency vehicles should be able to lane split, but that doesn't mean everybody else should be allowed to.

I disagree with it in principle- when I'm in a lane I believe I own everything horizontally between the white lines, and I don't want a motorcyclist to enter my lane space, especially not to pass me.

I suppose there's no real problem with it being legal besides that it is annoying. However, if I as the driver of a car fail to account for the presence of a lane splitter and flatten you, it shouldn't be my fault. Lane splitters should have to do so at their own peril and be automatically at-fault should they get into a collision.

Sounds like a fun new game for sadists. How many times would people intentionally 'accidentally' cross the line to take out a motorcyclist because they know it'll automatically be the motorcyclists fault?

Not exactly prudent.

If it's safer, it's safer. The point of traffic control is to safely control traffic. If this is safer, then this should be done as there is no undo cost or burden on the engineers to situate this setup.

Sykotyk

mightyace

Quote from: Sykotyk on April 22, 2010, 08:21:17 PM
If it's safer, it's safer. The point of traffic control is to safely control traffic. If this is safer, then this should be done as there is no undo cost or burden on the engineers to situate this setup.

That is assuming, of course, that the study is valid.  I would like to see some details especially since the conclusion is counter-intuitive.  I'm not saying the study is wrong, I'd like to see the information that backs up the claim.

corco

Sounds like a fun new game for sadists. How many times would people intentionally 'accidentally' cross the line to take out a motorcyclist because they know it'll automatically be the motorcyclists fault?

Not exactly prudent.

That's the point- make it so only idiots would do it, thereby helping to thin the population of morons

-

I suppose I should add to that- the way I see it this makes motorcycles take lane space when there is technically no lane space. Assuming they aren't allowed to go super fast through gridlock, why not just let them use the shoulders? In that case, why not let cars use the shoulders? Or on that note, if you have three Volkswagens in two freeway sized lanes, who is to say the third Volkswagen can't go between the other two? It would fit.

It just seems to give undue preference to a certain type of vehicle, and I see that as a door that doesn't need to be opened, safe or not.

agentsteel53

Quote from: mightyace on April 22, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
"Berm Running"

what does this mean?

is this also done at 30-60mph faster than the traffic in the lanes being split?

that's the one problem I have with lane splitting - a lot of motorcyclists seem to do it as fast and as obnoxiously as possible.  Yes, I know I am a moron for getting stuck in 3mph bumper-to-bumper traffic, but the way to remind me of my eternal damnation is not to ride past me, doing 60mph in second gear, possibly with only one wheel making contact with the ground.  

then again, the 60mph speed differential also applies when I'm going highway speed.  Nothing like having two* riders come out of nowhere, hit every lane from median to shoulder in the span of 150 feet, apparently in some contest to see how many cars they can cut off before the next exit.

* it's always two.  One to get splattered on the concrete, one to bring the spatula.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 22, 2010, 09:53:32 PM
Quote from: mightyace on April 22, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
"Berm Running"

what does this mean?
It means driving on the shoulder - usually during a traffic jam.

<EDIT>
I think I first heard the term back in the 80s.  A Cleveland radio station even made up a "song" about them:

To the tune of the "Roadrunner" song from Looney Toons

Berm runner, the police are after you.
Berm runner, if they capture you you're through.

I think there was more to it but that's all I remember.
</EDIT>

is this also done at 30-60mph faster than the traffic in the lanes being split?

I have definitely seen berm runners going 30+ mph faster than the traffic.

Nothing like having two* riders come out of nowhere, hit every lane from median to shoulder in the span of 150 feet, apparently in some contest to see how many cars they can cut off before the next exit.
I've had that happen to me as well.  When it does, I may not see the moroncyclists until they have already gone past me - especially at night!

agentsteel53

Quote from: mightyace on April 22, 2010, 11:18:23 PM

It means driving on the shoulder - usually during a traffic jam.

or because you're within 15 miles of the right turn that you are intending to take.  Common, odious California behavior.  I always stay to the right side of the right lane until coming up to the intersection where the lane is wide enough to safely fit a second car in a lane striped for one.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

F350

It's good. One of the benefits of riding a motorcycle. I find it funny people bitch and moan about it. Don't like it? Learn how to ride a motorcycle and lane splitting then stop your bitching.

I wish more states would allow lane splitting. It's not legal under any circumstances here in DC so I get stuck during rush hour.

Brandon

Quote from: F350 on April 23, 2010, 03:59:49 PM
It's good. One of the benefits of riding a motorcycle. I find it funny people bitch and moan about it. Don't like it? Learn how to ride a motorcycle and lane splitting then stop your bitching.

I wish more states would allow lane splitting. It's not legal under any circumstances here in DC so I get stuck during rush hour.

Tough.  It's dangerous and should never be allowed.  There is a reason lanes exist.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadfro

I agree. The main thing with lane splitting is that it's completely against driver expectation. Most drivers typically aren't expecting a motorcycle to come riding up along the lane line...they're used to a vehicle staying between the lane lines except for lane changes. When you add to this the fact that lane splitting is often performed in a dangerous or risky manner, it compounds to the problem.

There are probably limited circumstances where lane splitting makes sense. But for the most part, I don't think the benefits outweigh the riskiness of the maneuver.  I only really support it for motorcycle cops when on official business.

BTW: Reno/Sparks hosts an annual motorcycle event called "Street Vibrations" in early fall. Every year, as motorcyclists descend upon the area, NDOT puts messages on all the freeway VMS displays (including a portable one right at the state line on I-80) stating "ILLEGAL TO SPLIT LANES", as a reminder to people coming from California that the practice is not allowed in Nevada.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

allniter89

I was under the impression that motorcyclist split lanes because motorcycle engines are air cooled they will overheat without flowing air to cool the engine  :hmmm:
It used to po me and I often contemplated swinging my door open on them, but then its only a 2 wheeler, its not like he's using alot of room in a lane. I think if the bike rider is moving along slowly and not screaming by at 3000rpm is tolerable.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Alex

I thought that lane splitting was only permitted in California when vehicular traffic was below a certain speed (30 or 40 mph)? Saw it practiced many times when I lived out there.

Its annoying if the riders are obnoxious about it, but otherwise, you just accept it and trudge through the traffic with everyone else...

Once saw a CHP lane splitting in Orange County using the painted median between the HOV-2 lane and the general purpose lanes. He was traveling at freeway speeds and checking each vehicle in the HOV lane to make sure there was the required number of occupants.

SP Cook

I really dislike motorcyclists.  Around here, they spend a lot of the PSA time on preachy "share the road" stuff including the ultra-judgemental "kill a biker, go to jail" theme.  While driving on interstates doing crazy things like lane splitting, passing on the right, and driving on the berm.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.