News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Yellow Strobes at Rail Crossings?

Started by US71, June 21, 2010, 09:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Just rolled in from a trip to Missouri. I noticed a railroad crossing in Belton had a single yellow strobe light on each side of the crossing, situated just behind the crossbuck (photos to come). Has anyone noticed something like this elsewhere?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mightyace

^^

No, I haven't seen of it or heard of it, even in the railroad related magazines.

You might be able to get these pictures published in a railroad magazine for a few bucks.

Please PM me if you are interested in attempting to do this.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

BigMattFromTexas

Never heard of such a thing. It sounds interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.
BigMatt

Revive 755

This an example?
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=belton,+mo&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=52.107327,135.263672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Belton,+Cass,+Missouri&ll=38.8148,-94.534264&spn=0.025413,0.066047&z=15&layer=c&cbll=38.81484,-94.534175&panoid=HzNJ07jSxJVlbmR7XYJvVw&cbp=12,303.27,,0,-2.78

I'm gonna guess the yellow strobe lets the train engineering know that a stoplight preemption (as in the stoplights go red for any movement that would cross the track) is working at the two adjacent stoplights on North Street.

Though if they went through the trouble install such a thing, I'm surprised they didn't just add a pair of flashing lights while they were at it.

US71

US71

cjk374

I also notice the EXEMPT sign under the crossbucks.  This indicates the track is no longer used by trains.  This is very strange to me. 
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cjk374 on June 23, 2010, 03:31:40 PM
I also notice the EXEMPT sign under the crossbucks.  This indicates the track is no longer used by trains.  This is very strange to me. 

is that what it means?  If so, why not just remove the crossbucks, and instead put in some sign that says "unused railroad - rough crossing" or the like, to indicate to drivers that attention is to be paid not towards the possibility of a train approaching, but rather to slow down a bit since the road quality diminishes temporarily.  Maybe a yellow diamond sign with an advisory speed underneath it?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 23, 2010, 03:42:37 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on June 23, 2010, 03:31:40 PM
is that what it means?  If so, why not just remove the crossbucks, and instead put in some sign that says "unused railroad - rough crossing" or the like, to indicate to drivers that attention is to be paid not towards the possibility of a train approaching, but rather to slow down a bit since the road quality diminishes temporarily.  Maybe a yellow diamond sign with an advisory speed underneath it?

The "exempt" sign means that school buses, trucks carrying flammable materials, etc. don't have to stop for the crossing.  The crossbucks are left up because these tracks are (sometimes anyway) occasionally used.

agentsteel53

Quote from: bugo on June 23, 2010, 03:45:09 PM

The "exempt" sign means that school buses, trucks carrying flammable materials, etc. don't have to stop for the crossing.  The crossbucks are left up because these tracks are (sometimes anyway) occasionally used.

usually exempt intersections do not have flashing lights - how is one to determine if a train is coming, then, without coming to a stop?  Or is it sufficient to slow down enough to make a judgement?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadfro

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 23, 2010, 04:02:28 PM
usually exempt intersections do not have flashing lights - how is one to determine if a train is coming, then, without coming to a stop?  Or is it sufficient to slow down enough to make a judgement?

Not always.

There's a couple of Exempt crossings on US 95 around the Hawthorne Army Depot that still have overhead lights and gate arms.

Another example from years past is US 93/95 at Railroad Pass between Henderson and Boulder City, NV. For years, the railroad ties remained in the roadway, with "Exempt" signs under the crossbucks and the crossing lights still mounted overhead. At some point (maybe when I-515 was completed around 1994), NDOT pulled up the tracks in the roadway--although this AA Roads photo shows that the lights and at least one crossbuck without an exempt plaque are still mounted (exempt plaques are present on the round RR advance warning signs). The crossing lights are probably still standing as an homage to the name of the pass and the history of this railroad spur playing an important part in the ferrying of construction materials at Hoover Dam--oddly, the pass isn't marked with green elevation signs as is typical for NDOT.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

bugo

There are two railroad crossings on freeways in Missouri: US 60 just west of US 65 (in the process of removal) and US 63 north of I-70.

realjd

Since most of the exempt crossings that I have seen have been on little-used spurs going to factories, I always assumed that the train was going slow enough to essentially stop before crossing the road.

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on June 23, 2010, 10:21:00 AM
Just got a photo uploaded

The tracks (what little is shown) look nice...big rail, some ballast, decent looking ties.  Where was this pic shot?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on June 24, 2010, 04:02:19 PM
Quote from: US71 on June 23, 2010, 10:21:00 AM
Just got a photo uploaded

The tracks (what little is shown) look nice...big rail, some ballast, decent looking ties.  Where was this pic shot?

Belton, MO

Revive 755

I think it may depend on the state, but I think the train has to be prepared to stop quickly for exempt crossing in Missouri.

As for exempt crossings not having active signals or seeing any trains (again the latter varies from state to state - Iowa only allows exempt crossings when the track is paved over or only the part of the track in the road remains), the follow picture from the A-B Brewery area on Broadway in St. Louis is good proof otherwise:
http://www.rxrsignals.net/Missouri/St_Louis/Broadway/16.jpg

roadfro

"Exempt" has nothing to do with the train, but rather the drivers of vehicles. An exempt crossing signifies to drivers of buses, vehicles carrying passengers for hire, or vehicles carrying explosive materials that a full stop is not required prior to crossing the tracks. A stop would still be required if there is minimal sight or obviously if a train is approaching.

The requirements for use of the exempt plaque will vary by state. Use of the plaque is governed by 'option' statements in the national MUTCD.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.