Symbolic county road letter designations in Wisconsin

Started by KCRoadFan, October 01, 2021, 01:06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: dvferyance on October 07, 2021, 12:06:46 PM
Another one would be DK the old routing of highway 57 a good bet that stand for Door and Kewaunee Counties.
There is also the famous DL in Sauk County which of course stands for Devils Lake.
Rock County has a BT which I assume is an abbreviation for Beloit.
Outagamie County has a CA which you could argue is an abbreviation for College Ave the name of the road or county airport since that is where it goes to.

Brown and Outagamie County 'CE' is the eastward extension of College Ave from WI 441 in Appleton to WI 57 in Brown County (unincorporated Hollandtown).  The part that is closer to Appleton is built to a fairly high standard and it is what I would consider to be a 'natural' future reroute for US 10 eastward from Appleton towards Manitowoc. 

Also, running north-south past the ATW airport is Outagamie and Winnebago County 'CB'.

Mike

Molandfreak

One that I noticed is CTH-GG from Clam Lake to Mellen. This is basically an alternate route of WIS 77, coming within a couple blocks of WIS 77 on both ends. I assume it was given this designation because G is the 7th letter of the alphabet.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

GeekJedi

CTH-NN in Waukesha County is so named because it was the original routing of WI-99, before it moved south and then later became CTH-LO
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

The Ghostbuster

My late stepfather had a CTH-BB sign hidden in the garage of his and my mother's for many years (I believe it dated back to when he lived in Vernon County back in the 1970s). The one county designation I would hope never comes into fruition is a CTH-BS, for obvious reasons.

GeekJedi

I'm about 1/4 mile away from the "P OO" intersection. I noticed today that about a mile south of there is the "P UN" intersection!
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

KCRoadFan

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 25, 2023, 10:19:24 PM
My late stepfather had a CTH-BB sign hidden in the garage of his and my mother's for many years (I believe it dated back to when he lived in Vernon County back in the 1970s). The one county designation I would hope never comes into fruition is a CTH-BS, for obvious reasons.

Did he use the sign as a BB gun target, by chance?

The Ghostbuster

I have a correction to make. It was a CTH-DD sign, not a CTH-BB sign (DD was his initials, same as my mother's).

triplemultiplex

Ah yes, CTH DD, the Dolly Parton Commemorative Highway. :P
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mgk920

Quote from: KCRoadFan on April 26, 2023, 12:54:00 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 25, 2023, 10:19:24 PM

Did he use the sign as a BB gun target, by chance?

Prospect Ave on the Outagamie/Winnebago County Line here in the Appleton area is County 'BB'.

Mike

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mgk920

For many years, well into the mid 20th century, before they were converted to the present day 'arrows', sign tabs with a 'L' or an 'R' on route marker shields advised drivers that the route was turning.  Thus, there were no county highways 'L' or 'R' in Wisconsin until that rule was changed in the federal MUTCD.  Since then, some have appeared (ie, former US 141 between Green Bay and Manitowoc became Brown and Manitowoc County 'R' when I-43 was completed).

Mike

Big John

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Big John

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

mgk920

triplemultiplex

Quote from: mgk920 on April 26, 2023, 06:53:55 PM
There is also a County 'II' (former WI 150) in the Neenah, WI area.

I for sure saw some maps that had it is CTH "Eleven" the first year after 150 and 110 were decom'd in the area.
Misunderstandings like that are why I think counties would not want to have an II.

Big John

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 27, 2023, 11:16:56 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on April 26, 2023, 06:53:55 PM
There is also a County 'II' (former WI 150) in the Neenah, WI area.

I for sure saw some maps that had it is CTH "Eleven" the first year after 150 and 110 were decom'd in the area.
Misunderstandings like that are why I think counties would not want to have an II.
The BGS on 41 had an erroneous CTH 11 when STH 150 was decommissioned.

triplemultiplex

dvferyance

Quote from: kphoger on April 26, 2023, 02:40:49 PM
To me, CTH II looks like CTH Roman Numeral 2.
I hope there will never be a CTH IO anywhere. Then many will think it's Hwy 10.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: dvferyance on May 07, 2023, 05:53:25 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 26, 2023, 02:40:49 PM
To me, CTH II looks like CTH Roman Numeral 2.
I hope there will never be a CTH IO anywhere. Then many will think it's Hwy 10.

Or an On/Off switch for the road.  :)
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Big John

peterj920

The one place where WISDOT will not use a unisign because of the letter combination on Wis 28 near Cascade.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/bC9Nf1cJaZBcFCUM9?g_st=ic

JREwing78

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.