Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

Any license plate collectors here?

(1/8) > >>

DrZoidberg:
My roadgeekiness got me into the hobby of collecting plates a few years ago.  I've completed a full set of US plates, along with Canada, and am working on a Mexican collection.

The bonus room in our house is a travel/road themed room with license plates, framed maps, highway signs, and vintage TWA posters (my wife's grandfather worked for TWA for numerous years, and that's her collection)

Just curious if anybody else is interested in plates?

Alex:
Most of my collection is online at https://www.aaroads.com/license_plates , but there are several other tags that are unphotographed. I try to stay on top of getting the latest issues, but they change so often there's often a lag on getting all the new versions unless you are able to attend one of the license plate shows. One run I've been working on since I started tag collecting in 1993 is a Florida County run. You'll note many of the county tags I have on the Florida section of the license plate page.

If you have not checked it out before, a good resource for license plate news is the web site http://www.licenseplates.cc

DrZoidberg:
That's an awesome site, aaroads.  I really collect more as a casual hobby (picking up from antique stores, flea markets, etc.) but it's great to know there are others out there.

Alex:

--- Quote from: DrZoidberg on February 24, 2009, 11:54:50 PM ---That's an awesome site, aaroads.  I really collect more as a casual hobby (picking up from antique stores, flea markets, etc.) but it's great to know there are others out there.

--- End quote ---

Most of the ones I've purchased over the years were from antique stores, flea markets, yard sales, other collectors online, ebay, and in the past few years, platedepot.com. I also ask friends or people that I know if I can have their old tags when they are done with them, and have gone to a couple of plate shows now too.

DrZoidberg:

--- Quote ---I also ask friends or people that I know if I can have their old tags when they are done with them, and have gone to a couple of plate shows now too.
--- End quote ---

Not a bad idea, I should do that.  Of course, in Oregon, people never have to re-tag.  I still see plates out here from the late 60s!  I think Florida requires you re-plate every so often, is that correct?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version