News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minnesota Notes

Started by Mdcastle, April 18, 2012, 07:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 12, 2022, 07:40:07 PM
I actually don't think I've been through there (I only drove US 63 long after it was rerouted off Broadway, no pun intended for theater geeks). I actually just started looking at possible O'Reilly locations. It's tough to see but I could see hills in the background of the picture with the O'Reilly sign, so I looked at some suburban strip crap in Hermantown/Duluth and Cloquet first, tried Hibbing's location, tried some more southern locations in Winona, Hastings, and Red Wing where the terrain is a bit hillier, and for whatever reason had a sudden thought it might be Rochester, though I don't know why.

My original plan, once it was discovered that there was an O'Reillys in the shot, was to do the exact same thing; just start panning around and GSV'ing them one by one. Problem for me, not knowing Minnesota geography, is knowing which areas are flat, and which are hilly. In retrospect, I could have utilized the topo layer in Google Maps. Alas, I was quite busy during the afternoon and you were able to find it before I was even able to open Google Maps!

So again: thank you a ton, and I appreciate you dedicating some time to this. It's very helpful! Better Call Saul was almost entirely filmed in Albuquerque, NM. So this shot, a couple others, are the only times it was filmed outside of New Mexico. The actor, Bob Odenkirk, wouldn't have actually been driving. These types of scenes are used by filmmakers from time to time, where the outside and inside shots are filmed separate. Unfortunately for them, I recognize a Minnesota mast arm and signal design quite easily, so I knew this was a rare non-NM scene.

TheHighwayMan3561

A vehicle struck the pedestrian bridge over TH 62 in Edina located between Valley View and MN 100. The bridge will be removed/repaired over the coming days (tweet isn't clear), but the westbound lanes of the road are closed at I-35W as of now.

https://twitter.com/MnDOTMetro/status/1559637560800034816

Actually the second time in six months this bridge has been hit. https://www.hometownsource.com/sun_current/community/edina/pedestrian-bridge-in-edina-closes-after-truck-damage/article_94ad507a-9402-11ec-96fb-3bb9f2474d76.html
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Papa Emeritus

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 16, 2022, 06:25:59 PM
A vehicle struck the pedestrian bridge over TH 62 in Edina located between Valley View and MN 100. The bridge will be removed/repaired over the coming days (tweet isn't clear), but the westbound lanes of the road are closed at I-35W as of now.

The STrib says the damaged part of the bridge has been removed, and the freeway has reopened.

https://www.startribune.com/westbound-crosstown-hwy-62-reopens-in-edina-after-damaged-pedestrian-bridge-removed/600199299/

It would be nice if the owner of the truck that hit the bridge had to pay for the bridge to be torn down and replaced, instead of having the taxpayers pay for it.....but that's not going to happen.

TheHighwayMan3561

MnDOT released the video of the truck/bridge impact, which sent clouds of debris showering onto 62. Fortunately there were no injuries. Thank goodness no one was walking over the bridge at the time either.

Papa Emeritus

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 18, 2022, 03:25:25 PM
MnDOT released the video of the truck/bridge impact, which sent clouds of debris showering onto 62. Fortunately there were no injuries. Thank goodness no one was walking over the bridge at the time either.

https://video.startribune.com/watch-truck-hits-hwy-62-pedestrian-bridge-in-edina/600199323/

Here's the video; as you said, TheHighwayMan394, it's VERY lucky there were no injuries. I would not have wanted to be in one of the cars directly behind the truck after it hit the overpass.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

skluth

Quote from: Papa Emeritus on August 18, 2022, 04:06:23 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 18, 2022, 03:25:25 PM

https://video.startribune.com/watch-truck-hits-hwy-62-pedestrian-bridge-in-edina/600199323/

Here's the video; as you said, TheHighwayMan394, it's VERY lucky there were no injuries. I would not have wanted to be in one of the cars directly behind the truck after it hit the overpass.

Or worse, a pedestrian on that bridge

TheHighwayMan3561

Hennepin CSAH 47 in Plymouth will be turned over to the city, with the new name Chankahda Trail replacing the current legal name of County Road 47 following the turnback.

https://www.plymouthmn.gov/departments/public-works/project-spotlight/county-road-47-corridor-study/-fbclid-IwAR3Jz9hncxGAqxiiZ06UXQWsdf3wpRb26ETKHOSOmafI-pa123_EOwaPqLY

andarcondadont

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 24, 2022, 10:29:26 PM
Hennepin CSAH 47 in Plymouth will be turned over to the city, with the new name Chankahda Trail replacing the current legal name of County Road 47 following the turnback.

https://www.plymouthmn.gov/departments/public-works/project-spotlight/county-road-47-corridor-study/-fbclid-IwAR3Jz9hncxGAqxiiZ06UXQWsdf3wpRb26ETKHOSOmafI-pa123_EOwaPqLY
After watching the CCX Media report on this name change, I watched the Plymouth city council meeting in order to watch the resolution get passed. Two councilmembers expressed their dissent. I won't use their names in fear of targeting them, but I will analyze their concerns. I must also mention that I do not live nor work in the city of Plymouth; I am simply a resident from across town interested in this story.

1. One of the councilmembers doesn't see the point of renaming this road, and simply wants it named Old County Rd 47, which is the part I understand. But then a case is made where places are renamed in order to fit a woke agenda. I'm not sure about other places, and he may have a point for certain places. But this road is being renamed simply because the majority of residents in the area want to see a road name dedicated to the Dakota.

2. After watching the road renaming committee, the other councilmember pointed out that the name "Chankahda" may be difficult to pronounce for some. While I and other people present at that meeting won't deny that the name takes some learning, Minnesotans are already used to names of Native American origin, especially if those names have been around for centuries.

That concludes my analysis of the dissenting opinions regarding this road name change.  I would nitpick the road name, but I think it and the suffix "Trail" is very fitting. Though if I were a resident and I had my way, I would've proposed an extension of Hackamore Rd from County 101 to County 61 for name continuity.

Computer Science and GIS student at the University of Minnesota.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: andarcondadont on August 25, 2022, 01:40:25 AM
2. After watching the road renaming committee, the other councilmember pointed out that the name "Chankahda" may be difficult to pronounce for some. While I and other people present at that meeting won't deny that the name takes some learning, Minnesotans are already used to names of Native American origin, especially if those names have been around for centuries.

Lol "difficult to pronounce".  Have they been around Minnesota before?  There are some doozies out there, dotcha know.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 25, 2022, 04:39:50 PM
Quote from: andarcondadont on August 25, 2022, 01:40:25 AM

Lol "difficult to pronounce".  Have they been around Minnesota before?  There are some doozies out there, dotcha know.

It'll probably just be called "Chan Trail" by locals, like the city of Chanhassen is already colloquially shortened to (if that town name sounds vaguely familiar, it's where Prince lived - and died, with his estate now a museum).

andarcondadont

What I find interesting is that this road also (briefly) serves as the border between Plymouth and Maple Grove, running from the intersection with County 101 to just east of the Vagabond Ln intersection. The street sign installed by Maple Grove (or at least looks similar to the design found all over that city) signs the road as Hackamore Rd, which I briefly stated is the name of the road beyond County 101 that is shared between Corcoran and Medina. Unknown if Plymouth crews will change the Hackamore Rd sign at Vagabond Ln.

Computer Science and GIS student at the University of Minnesota.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: andarcondadont on August 26, 2022, 07:02:05 PM
What I find interesting is that this road also (briefly) serves as the border between Plymouth and Maple Grove, running from the intersection with County 101 to just east of the Vagabond Ln intersection. The street sign installed by Maple Grove (or at least looks similar to the design found all over that city) signs the road as Hackamore Rd, which I briefly stated is the name of the road beyond County 101 that is shared between Corcoran and Medina. Unknown if Plymouth crews will change the Hackamore Rd sign at Vagabond Ln.

If it's MG's responsibility, they won't touch it. City-line streets with two names aren't unheard of in the metro (Century/Geneva, CSAH 62 being known as Townline Rd in Minnetonka and West 62nd St in Eden Prairie)

Roadguy

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 26, 2022, 07:12:14 PM
Quote from: andarcondadont on August 26, 2022, 07:02:05 PM

If it's MG's responsibility, they won't touch it. City-line streets with two names aren't unheard of in the metro (Century/Geneva, CSAH 62 being known as Townline Rd in Minnetonka and West 62nd St in Eden Prairie)

Maple Grove in late 2021 deferred their portion of CSAH 47 to Plymouth for construction, operations, and maintenance: https://www.maplegrovemn.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/959?fileID=3810

froggie

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 24, 2022, 10:29:26 PM

Quote from: Roadguy on August 29, 2022, 11:34:52 PM
Maple Grove in late 2021 deferred their portion of CSAH 47 to Plymouth for construction, operations, and maintenance: https://www.maplegrovemn.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/959?fileID=3810

Didn't catch this earlier, but 47 isn't on the CSAH system.  It's a plain-Jane County Road.  Though based on the Maple Grove resolution that Roadguy posted, it looks like Plymouth wants to include it in their Municipal State Aid mileage.

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 16, 2022, 06:25:59 PM

https://twitter.com/MnDOTMetro/status/1559637560800034816

Actually the second time in six months this bridge has been hit. https://www.hometownsource.com/sun_current/community/edina/pedestrian-bridge-in-edina-closes-after-truck-damage/article_94ad507a-9402-11ec-96fb-3bb9f2474d76.html

I got to sit in the resulting backup the day this happened on the way to a short job at Southdale. 🤦‍♂️
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

J N Winkler

I've been going through the construction plans for SP 8821-353, a major sign replacement covering US 53 in St. Louis and Koochiching Counties, and have observed both independent-mount and guide-sign versions of a "UT" shield for what appears to be a locally maintained class of minor road.  Does anyone know the story behind these?  Google has not been helpful.

Peat Plant Road (UT 9118) near Eveleth

Murphy Lake Road (UT 9115), also near Eveleth
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

froggie

UT = Unorganized Township.  As I understand state law, public roads in such areas are the responsibility of the county.

J N Winkler

Quote from: froggie on September 01, 2022, 10:50:49 PMUT = Unorganized Township.  As I understand state law, public roads in such areas are the responsibility of the county.

Many thanks!  All is now clear.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

TheHighwayMan3561

Cook County, following its changeover from white squares to pentagon shields for its county roads subsequently did a second replacement of many recently installed blue pentagons with UT shields. Seemed like a waste of money. I don't know if they were going the "pentagon = CSAH, square = no" model some other counties follow, but it didn't seem like that was the case.

Molandfreak

Not every county with UT roads signs them, either. It seems to just be the arrowhead, and then the counties that seem to require their organized townships to sign their roads with a white square (Beltrami, Aitkin, maybe others).
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

froggie

Took a quick look at some MnDOT data.  There are 16 counties that have UT roads...except for Isanti and Chisago (which I would classify as "central"), all of them are in northern Minnesota.  Koochiching is the winner with almost 333 miles.  St Louis County also has over 300 miles, and there are 4 other counties with at least 100 miles.

Regarding Molandfreak's comment about organized townships signing roads, I'm not sure if it's a requirement there, but I know there are some townships in Cass County that sign their township roads...would see the signs all the time going up to my grandfather's cabin.  Hard to see, but here's an example.

Molandfreak

Quote from: froggie on September 02, 2022, 09:55:27 AM
Took a quick look at some MnDOT data.  There are 16 counties that have UT roads...except for Isanti and Chisago (which I would classify as "central"), all of them are in northern Minnesota.  Koochiching is the winner with almost 333 miles.  St Louis County also has over 300 miles, and there are 4 other counties with at least 100 miles.
Surprised there's nothing in Fort Snelling, but I guess all the non-MN/DOT roads there might be under the jurisdiction of either the DNR or the airport itself.

TheHighwayMan3561

I got to drive the new US 14 between 218 and Dodge Center finally. Some observations and questions:

-I didn't realize it was going to be a full freeway. I realize the tracks meant overpassing some roads made sense in some spots.
-The "Claremout"  error appears to have been fixed.
-My biggest issue is with the western MN 56 interchange. There is no directional indicator for MN 56 North going in either direction, just plain MN 56 shields as if it terminates there. I don't know if MnDOT is planning some radical changes to 56 south of US 14 in the very near future, but that seems unlikely as 56 was still posted along the duplex. I think it's just an annoying and misleading oversight.

Molandfreak

Is Business 14 still there?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.