News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mukade

Below are some pics of the I-69 signs with new exit numbers. Only a few guide signs and signs that will soon be replaced still have old exit numbers.

Steuben County

Allen County (Fort Wayne)

Allen County (Fort Wayne)

Dekalb County

theline

QuoteLooking a few pages back to the bit about US 231 being considered the temporary route for I-69 from Crane north to I-69 I started thinking: is is wise to be sending the interstate-bound traffic through Bloomfield, Worthington and Spencer?
Will INDOT post an "official" temporary route from Crane to Indy or will they leave drivers to figure it out? What's the precedence on this in other projects? Many projects have an obvious route for the unfinished portion, but not so here.

hbelkins

Quote from: theline on September 17, 2012, 11:47:38 PM
Will INDOT post an "official" temporary route from Crane to Indy or will they leave drivers to figure it out? What's the precedence on this in other projects? Many projects have an obvious route for the unfinished portion, but not so here.

Whatever the GPS says...  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

tdindy88

There is a picture of a sign, a few pages up that mukade had posted that tells motorists as they apporach the US 231 exit (where they will have to get off for a couple of years) to use US 231 north to I-70 as a temporary route. So according to INDOT's signage plans, this is their idea for a temporary route. How it will be marked on US 231 itself is unknown.

mukade

Both bids from the September letting for the last section 4 I-69 contract in Greene County were rejected and will be re-advertised. The lower bid was for about $178M. As that stretch is difficult terrain, I wonder if this will affect the planned 2014 opening date.

tdindy88

This may only interest me, but the plans for signage around the SR 37 interchange (Exit 114) are now out. First of all, it appears that the free-flowing trumpet design (or whatever it's called, not the roundabout one) is being used for the interchange, meaning that SR 37 south will enter and exit the I-69/Eventual I-69 corridor without having to navigate any roundabouts.

Second, as I suspected, on I-69 the exit is signed for SR 37 south to Bedford and SR 37 north to Bloomington, with no mention of Indianapolis. Perhaps that will change in the future when I-69 is extended further north. I live for the day I can see Evansville on I-465, or even a dual mention of Bloomington and Evansville on 465 will work for me. Southbound on SR 37, Evansville is indeed the control city as it should be.

A quick look from INDOT's site shows that the planned community days on the new interstate (or whatever the event's name is) is scheduled for October 20th at the interchanges with US 231, SR 58, US 50, SR 61 and SR 64.

mukade

Good news on the new I-69 plans. I was hoping the remainder of the Hamilton County US 31 plans might also be available as they are supposed to be let the same day. I did not see them.

Seeing that INDOT issued that one press release today, you would think that the rejected I-69 bids would also merit a press release.

mukade

Here is a news report on I-69 construction in southern Indiana from September 20 (from WTHI).

mukade

The Bloomington Herald-Times has a headline on 9/23 entitled "I-69 paving work almost done from Evansville to U.S. 231 in southern Greene County". As usual, you cannot read the article unless you pay. Again, some of the comments, which you can read are funny. The following is about one guy who insists little has been done between Crane and Bloomington and the bulldozers just need to be rerouted to upgrade the US 231 corridor to I-70:

(outspoken opponent) is a pretty smart feller and can handle himself in just about any topic of discussion, but you get him on this I-69 thing and he immediately goes all slobber jaw. They will be seed and straw'n and he will still say it's not too late...

Comments can be read here.

tvketchum

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 18, 2012, 11:19:52 AM
There is a picture of a sign, a few pages up that mukade had posted that tells motorists as they apporach the US 231 exit (where they will have to get off for a couple of years) to use US 231 north to I-70 as a temporary route. So according to INDOT's signage plans, this is their idea for a temporary route. How it will be marked on US 231 itself is unknown.
It likely will not be posted or marked on US 231, if you use the example set by I 465 and all of the routes that are multiplexed on it (other than I 74). None of the US or IN state routes are marked once on I 465.

tdindy88

Well, this is an interstate and not a state or US route that would be signed so the 465 example wouldn't work (as you said I-74 is signed) in that regard. Now I don't know how temporary interstates would work being signed, in fact I don't know if I've ever seen a temporary interstate signed (only the I-69 corridor signs in Kentucky.) In any case I guess we'll see what happens and find out in a few months how it will work.

Alps

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 30, 2012, 09:04:05 PM
Well, this is an interstate and not a state or US route that would be signed so the 465 example wouldn't work (as you said I-74 is signed) in that regard. Now I don't know how temporary interstates would work being signed, in fact I don't know if I've ever seen a temporary interstate signed (only the I-69 corridor signs in Kentucky.) In any case I guess we'll see what happens and find out in a few months how it will work.
I would think I-69 signs will be added to I-465 once the highway is signed on up to 465. The assumption comes in that if the new interchange is not completed and traffic has to use a little bit of 37 to get to 465 for a couple of years, I would still expect there to be new signs erected. The Beltway can already be signed as I-69, as it's continuous Interstate, so it would only be the little piece left to be signed as temporary.

civeng

My guess is that it won't be temporarily signed, just as the newly opened portion is now.  It simply states that you must exit to SR 68.

Alps

Quote from: civeng on October 02, 2012, 02:07:17 PM
My guess is that it won't be temporarily signed, just as the newly opened portion is now.  It simply states that you must exit to SR 68.
I should probably elaborate on my guess - I don't expect "TEMPORARY I-69" signs, but I do expect I-69 to be signed continuously in some fashion. (I.e. you won't "lose" the route.)

Rick Powell

Quote from: Steve on October 02, 2012, 06:28:08 PM

I should probably elaborate on my guess - I don't expect "TEMPORARY I-69" signs, but I do expect I-69 to be signed continuously in some fashion. (I.e. you won't "lose" the route.)

The infamous "TO I-69"?

Henry

Now that Evansville to Crane is out of the way, all that's left to be done is the remainder of the stretch through Bloomington to Indianapolis...which could be several years away.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mgk920

tdindy88

mukade

Quote from: tdindy88 on October 06, 2012, 09:48:00 PM
Article in the Indianapolis Star, presumeably for Sunday's paper about the future of I-69.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20121006/NEWS05/210060346/Money-runs-low-completion-69-extension-from-Evansville-Indy?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Cimg%7CIndyStar.com&nclick_check=1

That reads like an article CARR and Tom Tokarski would be proud of. While completing I-69 will not be easy, there are options. Among them are the using part of the money from the recent budget surpluses and raising the gas tax (which can easily be argued as a fee). They could also sell bonds - not sure if that will fly or if it would be wise, but they could.

At the very least, it would be relatively inexpensive to make I-69 a freeway all the way through Bloomington. The plans to rebuild all except the SR 46 interchanges could be put on hold in order to extend the freeway as far north in Monroe County as the budget allows.

Personally, I think the state should put highest priority to improve the most congested and dangerous remaining intersections (make grade separations) on SR 37 between Bloomington and Indy and on US 31 from Plymouth to Hamilton County. That plan would not be a budget breaker, but would provide a very excellent value to the state.

theline

How about a toll road for Bloomington to Indy? It will enable quick contrstruction, and allow the new gov to avoid raising taxes.

And then they can lease it out to finance other projects.  :-D

ShawnP

I say toll all the exits and entrances to Bloomington.

ARMOURERERIC

They can do ORT and call it the "Greenie Pass"

mukade

A Greene County planning committee is busy preparing for a king-sized Interstate 69 celebration on Oct. 20 that can be enjoyed by entire families and communities. The Greene County site will be near the intersection of State Road 58/U.S. 231 junction with the new interstate highway.

Plans for Greene County's I-69 Community Celebration Day coming together (Greene County Daily World)

Less than two weeks away.

tvketchum

hoosierguy

Quote from: theline on October 07, 2012, 02:47:33 PM
How about a toll road for Bloomington to Indy? It will enable quick contrstruction, and allow the new gov to avoid raising taxes.

And then they can lease it out to finance other projects.  :-D

That is a terrible idea. Toll an existing free highway? That defeats the purpose of increased mobility and economic benefits that the highway is supposed to provide.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.