News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Michigan's Diagonal Highways, 1935-36 (New Article)

Started by bessertc, January 14, 2013, 04:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bessertc

Hey all,

Another update from the Michigan Highways website I thought might be of some interest. I've uploaded a new article regarding the push in the mid-1930s to build three major diagonal routes across various parts of Michigan's Lower Peninsula. While all three relied heavily on already-completed segments of highway, only one of the routes was ever completed. The first part of the article consists of text taken directly from the 1935-36 biennial report of the State Highway Commissioner and features a map of the routes. The remainder of the article discusses what eventually happened to each route and where they are today. Here's a direct link to the article:

http://www.michiganhighways.org/indepth/diagonalhighways.html

Let me know what you think!

Later,
Chris
Drive right. Pass Left. Please!

catch22

Interesting.  As one old enough to remember traveling on M-218 as a child (my late grandfather had a cottage on Orchard Lake, and my family spent a lot of time there in the late 50s - early 60s), I could never have conceived back then routing a major trunkline through the lake district west of Pontiac.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.