News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Tropical cyclone tracking thread

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, May 07, 2015, 11:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

Fun fact: Isaac is the only original I name remaining in the lists. All others have been replaced at least once, most of them twice: Isabel => Ida, Ivan => Igor => Ian, Irene => Irma => Idalia, Iris => Ingrid => Imelda, Isidore => Ike => Isaias (this last one is as of yet unused because 2014 didn't have that many storms).

Jebi has now made landfall in Japan.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Interstate 69 Fan

Helene is on the way as well. 80% chance to form in 5 days.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

ET21

Looks like 12-1am is the projected landfall for tonight with Gordon just east of New Orleans as a cat 1
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

bing101

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-tropical-storm-gordon-20180904-story.html#

There is a report of Gordon heading to Alabama as of the time of the post made by the LA Times.

Bruce

Typhoon Jebi has left a pretty big trail of damage across Honshu, killing at least 6 in Japan

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/04/world/asia/typhoon-jebi-japan-evacuations.html

Hurricane Rex

It sounds like Gordon has made landfall as a 70 mph TS. Also, in all honesty, Isaac should've been retired after 2012.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Interstate 69 Fan

Florence pulled a surprise, intensifying to Category 2 status.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on September 05, 2018, 08:33:47 AM
Florence pulled a surprise, intensifying to Category 2 4 status.

That's the newest advisory now.

Edit: switched 3 for 4.

Running till I die.

ET21

The remnants of Gordon could hit Chicago towards the weekend based on current tracks, marking the first time in 10 years we've had two tropical systems hit the area. 2008 had Gustav and Ike, and we had Alberto earlier this season.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

US71

Quote from: ET21 on September 05, 2018, 02:55:40 PM
The remnants of Gordon could hit Chicago towards the weekend based on current tracks, marking the first time in 10 years we've had two tropical systems hit the area. 2008 had Gustav and Ike, and we had Alberto earlier this season.

Remnants being the operative term, as it appears to be quickly breaking up. We  were scheduled to receive 4-6 inches of rain, but has been dialed back to 1-2 inches.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jp the roadgeek

Hurricane Florence could be an issue by next weekend for many along the Atlantic coast from the Outer Banks up to New England.  One model has it hitting somewhere around Ocean City, MD, while another takes it up across Long Island and into New England.  Either way, those still recovering from Sandy face a possible repeat.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/09/05/hurricane-florence-could-hit-east-coast-next-week-atlantic-storm/1202464002/
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Hurricane Rex

Florence temporarily down to a TS again (that was quick), 2 systems have a 70%+ chance of being developed. Hello Helene and Isaac. One is taking the southern track that can spell trouble down the road. Again, beware the I (potentially).

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

CNGL-Leudimin

In 2014 there wasn't an I at all (there were so few storms, it stopped just before Isaias which thus is yet to be used for the first time). In both 2015 and 2016 the I (Ida in 2015, Ian in 2016) remained a tropical storm out in the sea. So not all years the I is a threat (in fact most seasons before 1995 didn't reach I, however since then it has been a regular occurrence).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Interstate 69 Fan

Hurricane Rex

Olivia's cone now has Hawaii in it.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

bing101

ftballfan

How many early-alphabet names from the 1979-84 lists are still in use?

Some hurricanes I were surprised didn't warrant retiring: Juan (1985 - did get retired after 2003), Gordon (1994), Bonnie (1998), Emily (2005). Three of the four were billion-dollar storms while the fourth killed over 1,000 people

CNGL-Leudimin

Depend on what "early-alphabet" is. This year up to I all but Gordon (which replaced Gilbert after 1988) were in the original list. In fact list IV (the one used this year) is the list that has seen the least changes since its introduction, as only four names have been retired from the list: Gilbert in 1988, Joan (but not Miriam on the Eastern Pacific) also in 1988, Keith in 2000 and Sandy in 2012. Before 2005 it was list III, which managed to go until 1999 without any names retired. Meanwhile, no iteration of list V has been reused in its entirety, at least one name has been retired every time it has been used.

As for hurricanes that didn't get retired, Gordon wasn't retired because Haiti failed to send a delegate to the WMO, and at the time Mexico wasn't too keen to request name retirement, thus allowing Emily to become the first and only name so far to survive in the list after a category 5 hurricane.

Interstate 69 Fan

Florence rapidly intensifying, Satelite estimates have it as a Category 3, forecasted to peak near Category 5, and then make landfall around Wilmington, NC as a Cat 4. States of Emergencies have been declared for SC, NC, and VA
Mangkhut just passed very close to Guam as a 105 mph Cat 2.
Helene & Isaac are also hurricanes out in the open Atlantic.

ftballfan

Florence has had an odd track history. Until its sharp westward turn a few days ago, it was tracking like most hurricanes in the central Atlantic north of the typical Caribbean track (they generally go north into the open Central Atlantic [a la Helene's projected track]). However, it's still not as odd as Lenny (which went west to east across the Caribbean Sea) or Jeanne (which did a big loop to put itself on a bee line for Florida after heading due north from Hispaniola).

An odd fact about Category 5 hurricanes: All of them have affected land in some way, even after weakening

Interstate 69 Fan

bing101

bing101

hotdogPi

Florence might hit Florence, SC. Would this be the most populous city in the United States to be hit by a hurricane with the same name?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

triplemultiplex

Florence is really starting to look like it's going to park itself over the Carolinas after landfall.  That's going to be more significant than how strong it is when it hits land.  Good luck down there this weekend.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.