News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Small Caps

Started by briantroutman, January 29, 2014, 07:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briantroutman

Would it be possible to add a small caps button to the post formatting palette? Small caps has been included in CSS for years and is supported by almost all browsers–and it would allow us to quote signs without using lots of quotation marks or looking like we're shouting.

hbelkins

Couldn't some of the formatting buttons (bold, underline, text color, etc.) serve the same function?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rickmastfan67

I don't think there is an option to do this in SMF.

However, you could try this: KEEP LEFT

[size=8pt]KEEP LEFT[/size]

briantroutman

Thanks–I could do all caps and reduce the size, although it would be nice to have a button. I realize that the request is a peculiarity–a side effect of being a graphic designer and typography junkie.

I did pose the question to the SMF community and got one "I think it's possible..."  response (here). If an answer surfaces and adding the button wouldn't be too difficult, I would appreciate it. And if not, I'll cope.

Thanks.

Scott5114

I would support adding this, since small-caps has a semantic meaning for roadgeeks–24th Avenue West and 24th Avenue WEST mean different things to us.

rickmastfan: could you look and see if there's a plugin for this? All we really need to do is insert a <span style="..."> </span> around the text.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 02, 2014, 03:14:39 AM
24th Avenue West and 24th Avenue west mean different things to us.
Fixed for you.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 02, 2014, 03:14:39 AM
rickmastfan: could you look and see if there's a plugin for this? All we really need to do is insert a <span style="..."> </span> around the text.

Looks like there might be a mod soon for this.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=517792.msg3664047#msg3664047

PHLBOS

Typically, when I'm quoting a sign message that's in all caps; I usually place it in italics.

Example:
  114 EAST
    SALEM
MARBLEHEAD
------------>
for this LGS (tree branches need to be trimmed) or this LGS (tree branches also need to be trimmed).

Trust me, the EAST cardinal of those two LGS paddles are indeed present despite the branch blockings.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.