News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Forum Ads

Started by Alex, November 05, 2014, 09:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

In an effort to help pay for the increased costs of the recent server upgrade, we have added ads to the forum. However, as long as you're logged in and not in the "Parking Lot" group (you need 3+ posts to move onto Dirt Road status, so how about introducing yourself), you will not see any change here, nor any of the ads. Thank you for your understanding in this.

6a

They show up in Tapatalk, which I think is a separate thing as far as ads are concerned. I don't mind at all, just FYI.

hotdogPi

No malware ads, right?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

FLRoads

Quote from: 1 on November 21, 2014, 07:19:23 PM
No malware ads, right?

No, there are not any malware type ads.

And if you follow what Alex originally posted you will not see any ads as long as you are logged in and meet the criteria.

Alps

Molandfreak

Why am I seeing ads on Tapatalk?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Molandfreak on November 26, 2014, 11:53:28 PM

Maybe Tapatalk just added them to make money on the free app.  That's all I can think of, as nobody but the 'Parking Lot' group and Guests should see them otherwise.

Pete from Boston

No ads on Tapatalk here.

Duke87

Quote from: Alex on November 05, 2014, 09:54:51 PM
However, as long as you're logged in and not in the "Parking Lot" group (you need 3+ posts to move onto Dirt Road status, so how about introducing yourself), you will not see any change here, nor any of the ads.

This does pose an interesting question, though. What percentage of pageviews come from the unexempt group that will have the ads? I feel like it would be a small minority but then I could be wrong.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Duke87 on November 30, 2014, 02:22:57 AM
However, as long as you're logged in and not in the "Parking Lot" group (you need 3+ posts to move onto Dirt Road status, so how about introducing yourself), you will not see any change here, nor any of the ads.

This does pose an interesting question, though. What percentage of pageviews come from the unexempt group that will have the ads? I feel like it would be a small minority but then I could be wrong.

70%. Check "Who's online" and it will be about 70% guests and 30% members.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=who
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alps

Quote from: 1 on November 30, 2014, 08:14:10 AM
Quote from: Duke87 on November 30, 2014, 02:22:57 AM

70%. Check "Who's online" and it will be about 70% guests and 30% members.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=who
I don't know if this controls for bots.

froggie

There may not be "malware ads", but there's certainly spam-type ads...I just had one while I wasn't logged in that was "Meet Older Russian Women".

rickmastfan67

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on November 27, 2014, 12:56:58 AM

Maybe Tapatalk just added them to make money on the free app.  That's all I can think of, as nobody but the 'Parking Lot' group and Guests should see them otherwise.

Yes, if you're seeing ads on Tapatalk and you're logged into the forum here, it is indeed all from Tapatalk and not us.
https://support.tapatalk.com/threads/tapatalk-for-smf-plugin-release-announcement-and-changelog.4080/page-3#post-144286

We'll try to rectify this later tonight if that option does what it says it does (#9).

rickmastfan67

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 07, 2014, 07:21:22 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on November 27, 2014, 12:56:58 AM

Yes, if you're seeing ads on Tapatalk and you're logged into the forum here, it is indeed all from Tapatalk and not us.
https://support.tapatalk.com/threads/tapatalk-for-smf-plugin-release-announcement-and-changelog.4080/page-3#post-144286

We'll try to rectify this later tonight if that option does what it says it does (#9).

Alright, new version of Tapatalk has been installed in the forums.  I've tweaked the setting in the forum software area and hopefully ads will no longer show up in the app for anybody except the 'Parking Lot' group.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.