News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

New Interstate 885 in Durham

Started by bob7374, August 19, 2014, 11:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 02, 2021, 10:01:08 PM
NCDOT uses Richmond as the northbound control city extensively on I-85. Petersburg only appears once you get into VA.
Most signage is Petersburg... besides Richmond maybe on mileage signs, where else is it used at ramps or on overheads?

NJRoadfan

Pretty much all the northbound on-ramps from Henderson to the state line use Richmond, although recently replaced signs use Petersburg.

architect77

NCDOT uses Richmond as the northbound control city extensively on I-85. Petersburg only appears once you get into VA.

I contend that that there aren't any overhead signs at all in NC on I-85 mentioning Richmond. If there are a few they must be well North of Durham through Henderson or Warrenton and that rural stretch wouldn't be worthy of "extensive use."

fillup420

Quote from: architect77 on May 04, 2021, 04:57:39 PM

I contend that that there aren't any overhead signs at all in NC on I-85 mentioning Richmond. If there are a few they must be well North of Durham through Henderson or Warrenton and that rural stretch wouldn't be worthy of "extensive use."

Agree. I live right off I-85 and use it frequently between Durham and the VA line. There is hardly any mention of Richmond on the signs, almost all Petersburg.

cowboy_wilhelm

Not sure what the proper term is for these signs, but I believe he's referring to the ones on the local roads prior to the interchange with I-85. These are all north of Henderson.

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
Example 4

tjcreasy

EEC will likely open in September.  Track work is scheduled to be complete in August for both CSX and NS sometime in August, plus you need to factor in demo of the old structure.

Sincerely,

Someone involved with the project

architect77

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on May 05, 2021, 08:45:08 AM
Not sure what the proper term is for these signs, but I believe he's referring to the ones on the local roads prior to the interchange with I-85. These are all north of Henderson.

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
Example 4
Oh OK, shoulder signs. I was only thinking about large overheads on I-85 itself. I would place these shoulder signs in their own catergory of guidance since there are probably 50 roads at the border with Virginia. I don't see anyrhing woriong or inconsistent using different cities on these.

There are often so many relevant places that you need to not be repeating just one over and over.

tolbs17

I want it changed "TO I-95 NORTH" "Richmond, VA"

Who not add VA like they have on US-17 saying Chesapeake?

WashuOtaku

Quote from: tolbs17 on May 07, 2021, 08:41:56 AM

Should we also add "TO I-10 WEST" "New Orleans, LA"

I-85 ends at Petersburg, no need to identify beyond that.

architect77

Quote from: tolbs17 on May 07, 2021, 08:41:56 AM

Because Richmond is well known enough to stand on its own.

I wouldn't mind listing Washington D.C. and miles to on a shoulder sign in NC near the border on 85 and 95 though.

When the poster mentioned I-10 I first thought they were referring to it in Calif.

They stopped replacing the Barstow sign on i-40 in Wilmington because it was stolen about 20 times.

I always made sure i saw the Wilmington sign when I drove through Barstow. All I remember about it was that it was on wooden posts and was a dull colored sign.

LM117

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 27, 2021, 06:49:14 PM
The opening of the connector has been delayed again... From the RDU meet thread:

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 26, 2021, 09:43:46 AM
QuoteHello Mr. Moore,
East End Connector will not be open to traffic in June 2021. The contractor is completing final construction items throughout the project before they place the final layer of asphalt. I am unable to give an exact date of opening right now. Although the entire project will most likely not be 100% complete by the end of the year, we do expect the connector from NC 147 to US 70 (I-885) to be open to traffic by that time.
Please do not hesitate to contact me again with any questions or requests for updates.
Kind regards,
Liam Shannon, Resident Engineer

ABC11 (WTVD) posted an interview with Liam Shannon yesterday regarding the delays.

https://abc11.com/traffic/whats-the-hold-up-on-the-east-end-connector-ncdot-explains/10673823/
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

tolbs17

Isn't the east end connector supposed to open this month?

froggie

^ Read upthread...you'll find your answer.

tolbs17

Quote from: froggie on June 02, 2021, 09:10:46 AM
I did. But I want to know what the progress is like

fillup420

Quote from: tolbs17 on June 02, 2021, 09:12:08 AM

Its been like 90% done for the last 2 months. Pavement is down, overhead signs are up, no lines painted yet. Interchanges just about complete.

Source: drive past nearly every day

bob7374

Quote from: fillup420 on June 02, 2021, 05:58:46 PM

Its been like 90% done for the last 2 months. Pavement is down, overhead signs are up, no lines painted yet. Interchanges just about complete.

The exact completion % according to NCDOT is 93.8 as of May, that's up from 93.6 in February. At that pace it should be 100% complete in Sept. 2031. :-D

tolbs17

Quote from: bob7374 on June 02, 2021, 10:53:42 PM

The exact completion % according to NCDOT is 93.8 as of May, that's up from 93.6 in February. At that pace it should be 100% complete in Sept. 2031. :-D
Which means they are just wasting time. Like come on....... GET A MOVE ON!

The Ghostbuster

Has the Interstate 885 designation been officially submitted and approved yet? It seems like they are dragging their feet on everything! I do have confidence everything will be completed eventually. Whether or not we have the patience to wait that long is another story.

VTGoose

Quote from: tolbs17 on June 02, 2021, 10:57:29 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on June 02, 2021, 10:53:42 PM

Which means they are just wasting time. Like come on....... GET A MOVE ON!

The blame falls to the contractor and CSX per this story: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article251843723.html

Building the new railroad bridge by the contractor was delayed due to winter weather. It is complete, but it is up to CSX to lay the tracks (and CSX has been shedding employees to cut costs for the benefit of stockholders). Once the tracks are in place and the new bridge is in use, the temporary bridge can be demolished, removing concrete piers that are in the way of new lanes for the new road.

"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

bob7374

While we wait (and wait and wait..,) for the East End Connector to be opened, I've posted some photos taken recently over the unopened roadway, courtesy of roadwaywiz:

The rest at: https://malmeroads.net/ncfutints/fut885.html#photos

wdcrft63

Great photos! Thanks.
The signage makes clear that NC 147 will continue coincident with I-885.

tolbs17

If it said Petersburg, VA then it would make more sense to me.

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on June 23, 2021, 06:28:32 PM
Is there a Petersburg, NC to be confused with?

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on June 23, 2021, 05:33:25 PM
Great photos! Thanks.
The signage makes clear that NC 147 will continue coincident with I-885.

It's likely temporary, since there are plans to eliminate that overlap, as well as redesignate the tolled section of NC-147 as NC-885.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Strider

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 23, 2021, 06:41:01 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on June 23, 2021, 06:28:32 PM
Is there a Petersburg, NC to be confused with?

There is a Petersburg, NC but that town is so tiny and is in the western part of the state just north of Asheville, so no confusion here.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.