News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-70 (and I-170) to finally be completed in Baltimore

Started by jmacswimmer, April 01, 2022, 11:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmacswimmer

I'm happy to report some exciting news on a contentious subject around here: the long-awaited completion of I-70 & I-170 in order to meaningfully serve the city of Baltimore and thus be worthy of the control city.  The project will be undertaken by MDTA, as MDOT SHA does not maintain anything within the Baltimore city limits and the City was unwilling to take on the project.

Statement from MDTA:
As part of Governor Larry Hogan's commitment to improving travel across the State of Maryland, the Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA) has awarded a Design-Build contract for the I-70 & I-170 Finish-Up Baltimore Access Routes (70170FUBAR) Project.  The project, funded entirely through toll revenues, will result in a continuous route into motorists approaching Baltimore from Frederick & Western Maryland, eliminating the need to utilize I-695 or stop at the Security Boulevard Park & Ride.

Once complete, I-70 will utilize a previously-proposed route heading east through Leakin Park to an interchange with Hilton Parkway, at which point it will turn southeast towards an interchange with I-95 between Caton Avenue & Washington Boulevard.  A semi-directional interchange with I-170 will be constructed near where I-70 will cross Baltimore Street, and I-170 will head northeast alongside the Amtrak Northeast Corridor to a point near the West Baltimore MARC Station, at which point it will turn east and tie into the previously-constructed alignment between Franklin & Mulberry Streets.

Construction on the 70170FUBAR project is anticipated to start in March 2023, with completion tentatively scheduled for September 2026.

In order to achieve the funding necessary for this project, a two-part toll increase will be implemented at all MDTA toll facilities statewide.  On July 1, 2022 all toll rates will increase by 50%, followed by an additional 50% increase on July 1, 2023.  As an example, a two-axle vehicle with a valid Maryland E-ZPass will pay $4.50 at the Fort McHenry Tunnel on or after July 1, 2022, and $6.75 on or after July 1, 2023.

E-ZPass remains the most cost-effective way to travel toll roads in Maryland. Video Tolling occurs for any trips not paid with a valid E-ZPass or Pay-By-Plate at the time of travel. With Video Tolling, a Notice of Toll Due is generated and sent to the registered owner of the vehicle for standard Video Toll rates. With Pay-By-Plate, tolls are automatically billed to the driver's registered credit card as they use Maryland toll facilities, with no need for a transponder or pre-paid toll deposit.

Enroll in E-ZPass, sign up for Pay-By-Plate or pay Video Tolls at DriveEzMD.com.

Link to the full press release here.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

SkyPesos

famartin

Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 01, 2022, 11:16:41 AM
I'm happy to report some exciting news on a contentious subject around here: the long-awaited completion of I-70 & I-170 in order to meaningfully serve the city of Baltimore and thus be worthy of the control city.  The project will be undertaken by MDTA, as MDOT SHA does not maintain anything within the Baltimore city limits and the City was unwilling to take on the project.

Statement from MDTA:
As part of Governor Larry Hogan's commitment to improving travel across the State of Maryland, the Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA) has awarded a Design-Build contract for the I-70 & I-170 Finish-Up Baltimore Access Routes (70170FUBAR) Project.  The project, funded entirely through toll revenues, will result in a continuous route into motorists approaching Baltimore from Frederick & Western Maryland, eliminating the need to utilize I-695 or stop at the Security Boulevard Park & Ride.

Once complete, I-70 will utilize a previously-proposed route heading east through Leakin Park to an interchange with Hilton Parkway, at which point it will turn southeast towards an interchange with I-95 between Caton Avenue & Washington Boulevard.  A semi-directional interchange with I-170 will be constructed near where I-70 will cross Baltimore Street, and I-170 will head northeast alongside the Amtrak Northeast Corridor to a point near the West Baltimore MARC Station, at which point it will turn east and tie into the previously-constructed alignment between Franklin & Mulberry Streets.

Construction on the 70170FUBAR project is anticipated to start in March 2023, with completion tentatively scheduled for September 2026.

In order to achieve the funding necessary for this project, a two-part toll increase will be implemented at all MDTA toll facilities statewide.  On July 1, 2022 all toll rates will increase by 50%, followed by an additional 50% increase on July 1, 2023.  As an example, a two-axle vehicle with a valid Maryland E-ZPass will pay $4.50 at the Fort McHenry Tunnel on or after July 1, 2022, and $6.75 on or after July 1, 2023.

E-ZPass remains the most cost-effective way to travel toll roads in Maryland. Video Tolling occurs for any trips not paid with a valid E-ZPass or Pay-By-Plate at the time of travel. With Video Tolling, a Notice of Toll Due is generated and sent to the registered owner of the vehicle for standard Video Toll rates. With Pay-By-Plate, tolls are automatically billed to the driver's registered credit card as they use Maryland toll facilities, with no need for a transponder or pre-paid toll deposit.

Enroll in E-ZPass, sign up for Pay-By-Plate or pay Video Tolls at DriveEzMD.com.

Link to the full press release here.

:-D

roadman65

This is ridiculous. I know it's April Fools, but come on, or better yet come off of it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: roadman65 on April 01, 2022, 11:37:02 AM
This is ridiculous. I know it's April Fools, but come on, or better yet come off of it.

Yikes, I take it April Fools Day is not exactly your favorite day of the year then?  Ridiculousness is kind of the point, after all :sombrero:

Quote from: kphoger on April 01, 2022, 11:40:40 AM
That was very well written.  Good job!

Full disclosure - I had an actual MDTA press release open on the other screen and used that as my template.  The last 2 paragraphs about E-ZPass are verbatim from said template.  :-D
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

kurumi

Low key expected the press release URL to end in XcQ
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on April 01, 2022, 11:37:02 AM
Take a break from the forum today.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

theroadwayone

When will they announce the plans to complete I-83 as well?

jmacswimmer

Quote from: theroadwayone on April 01, 2022, 04:14:39 PM
When will they announce the plans to complete I-83 as well?

On the same day they announce the revival of the Baltimore Red Line project  :pan:
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

74/171FAN

Locking since April Fool's Day is long over.   -Mark
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.