June 17th 2023 Potential Little Rock, AR Road Meet

Started by codyg1985, August 23, 2022, 02:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

I have thought of an idea for a potential road meet that could happen next year: Little Rock, AR. There is a major project there to rebuild the I-30 corridor through North Little Rock and downtown Little Rock. Other potential attractions (in my mind) would be the I-430/I-630 interchange, various pedestrian crossings of the Arkansas River, and the completed US 67/167 rebuild in part of Jacksonville.

I am not very familiar with Little Rock, but if I get the opportunity to scout it prior to summer 2023, I could potentially host it. Admittedly, this would be a little bit out of my comfort zone since it is a city I don't know a whole lot about and it's six hours away from where I live.

Is there any interest in a meet there?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

74/171FAN

I'm interested, but I already have a long trip based in Florida in March 2023 so I am unsure of the chances of my attendance.

Maybe I need my sister to convince me to visit her husband's family in Texas.   ;-)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cjk374

Count me in! Just a 3 hour drive for me, and I am quasi-familiar with LR.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

codyg1985

Quote from: cjk374 on August 23, 2022, 04:02:03 PM
Count me in! Just a 3 hour drive for me, and I am quasi-familiar with LR.

Since you are kind of familiar with LR, would you know of some good places for us to eat for lunch?

The more I think about this, the more I see this working. I'd like to focus on the crossings of the Arkansas River (three pedestrian crossings, including one across a dam) as well as explore the area around the I-430/630 interchange since there is what appears to be a park-and-ride lot right there.
Cody Goodman

cjk374

I have been on the "big dam project." It was a very nice walk across the lock & dam. I do remember this place called "The Purple Cow" we ate at a few years ago. I'll see if I can find some other choices to choose from as well.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

A.J. Bertin

-A.J. from Michigan

signalman

I'm definitely interested. I need to spend more time in Arkansas.

hbelkins

Quote from: cjk374 on August 23, 2022, 04:17:11 PM
I have been on the "big dam project." It was a very nice walk across the lock & dam. I do remember this place called "The Purple Cow" we ate at a few years ago. I'll see if I can find some other choices to choose from as well.

Interesting. My little hometown, for years, had a restaurant called "The Purple Cow." It served good home cooking, plate lunches, and fantastic burgers. It has since become a Mexican restaurant but the owners retained a big purple cow mural that had been painted by some local art students and some of the old-style diner-type menu offerings.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MikieTimT

I can recommend Corky's BBQ.  All Aboard is a pretty neat train themed restaurant that delivers your food by train and lift system.  Food is pretty good too.  Even if you're not a kid.

MikieTimT

Depending on date, I might be interested as well.  I was just there last week.  Hydroplaned about 200 ft of US-67 south of Jacksonville in the old pavement portion that pools up horribly during heavy rain doing about 60MPH.  Thankfully had the presence of mind to keep the wheel straight and just ease off the gas until I regained pavement.  They are thankfully done with I-430, although Cantrell is still a horrible mess.  Should be much better next year, although I-30 isn't scheduled to be done until mid-2025.  You can get lots of pretty current views of the Interstates around LR with the LRHN and Real World Police YouTube channels with various Chargers, Challengers, 300s fleeing from ASP.  Hours of entertainment and lots of PIT maneuvers.

codyg1985

I am considering June 17th as the day of the meet. It is Juneteenth/Father's Day weekend.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

Here is a draft itinerary for the road meet.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XcDHl16XpaM5RUtExeT1jII5ieuTJSjAqQJ6L3okSSM/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know if anyone has any trouble viewing this.
Cody Goodman

jpi

I would be very much interested in this since it is a similar drive time from my house but can stop in Bartlet Friday night then get to Little Rock in just a couple hours Saturday morning. There is however a toy show in St Louis the next day but I may be able to tie the 2 in together.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

kevinb1994

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 01, 2022, 11:17:36 AM
Here is a draft itinerary for the road meet.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XcDHl16XpaM5RUtExeT1jII5ieuTJSjAqQJ6L3okSSM/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know if anyone has any trouble viewing this.
Actually was able to send you a message via Google because I don't have access.

codyg1985

Does anyone know of a way to attach a PDF to here so I can share it that way? Looks like I will have to grant access to everyone who looks at this document. :/
Cody Goodman

Nikolai

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 01, 2022, 02:46:27 PM
Does anyone know of a way to attach a PDF to here so I can share it that way? Looks like I will have to grant access to everyone who looks at this document. :/

On the document, once you click the Share button, you should be able to change "Restricted" to "Anyone with the link" under "General access".

codyg1985

Quote from: Nikolai on September 01, 2022, 03:22:23 PM

On the document, once you click the Share button, you should be able to change "Restricted" to "Anyone with the link" under "General access".

Thanks for the tip. I have updated the share link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XcDHl16XpaM5RUtExeT1jII5ieuTJSjAqQJ6L3okSSM/edit?usp=sharing
Cody Goodman

MikieTimT

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 01, 2022, 03:38:23 PM
Quote from: Nikolai on September 01, 2022, 03:22:23 PM

Thanks for the tip. I have updated the share link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XcDHl16XpaM5RUtExeT1jII5ieuTJSjAqQJ6L3okSSM/edit?usp=sharing

Looks like a great itinerary.  Only thing I see as a possible issue is that the time spent on the Big Dam Bridge is pretty tight, especially if you catch a towboat/barge going through the lock just downriver and directly under you.  There's a fair number of placards on the bridge explaining the MKARNS and how much freight goes into each of the barges, given in number of tractor/trailer loads.  I have walked it at night and they have it lit with colored uplighting that rotates colors, which is pretty neat for anyone who considered staying overnight before or after the meet and going back at/after dusk.  The park at the south end is pretty safe after dark.  There are places in LR away from the river that I might have some concern, though, after dark.

Scott5114

I'm interested, subject to the standard money and scheduling restrictions. I haven't spent much time in Little Rock.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

codyg1985

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 01, 2022, 10:31:51 PM
Looks like a great itinerary.  Only thing I see as a possible issue is that the time spent on the Big Dam Bridge is pretty tight, especially if you catch a towboat/barge going through the lock just downriver and directly under you.  There's a fair number of placards on the bridge explaining the MKARNS and how much freight goes into each of the barges, given in number of tractor/trailer loads.  I have walked it at night and they have it lit with colored uplighting that rotates colors, which is pretty neat for anyone who considered staying overnight before or after the meet and going back at/after dusk.  The park at the south end is pretty safe after dark.  There are places in LR away from the river that I might have some concern, though, after dark.

Thanks for the tip about the Big Dam Bridge. I added 20 minutes at that stop.

Depending on the amount of people attending, we would probably need to add a few minutes at each stop.
Cody Goodman

Duke87

You know, I had noticed that American Airlines was about to begin direct LGA-LIT service buuuut yep, they're doing the thing they're doing with most of their new destinations from LGA where the service is fucking useless because it's one flight a day and the outbound flight gets in late while the inbound flight leaves at ass o'clock in the morning.

Nonetheless, color me interested as it is a city I've never been off the interstate in. And I'd either get a connecting flight so my itinerary doesn't disrupt my sleep schedule or just fly into MEM or DFW, both of which have reasonably timed flights.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

A.J. Bertin

-A.J. from Michigan

SSOWorld

even if I have to squeeze a 12 hour drive in to get there, I'll likely be there.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

74/171FAN

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 23, 2022, 03:54:58 PM
I'm interested, but I already have a long trip based in Florida in March 2023 so I am unsure of the chances of my attendance.

Maybe I need my sister to convince me to visit her husband's family in Texas.   ;-)

I'm currently planning to attend this one.  I think I am going to change my route plan based on my friend in Nashville, TN, moving east to Richmond, VA, though.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.