News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cities that are a lot bigger or smaller than you thought they were

Started by KCRoadFan, April 21, 2023, 01:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

achilles765

I was going to mention Dallas but someone already did. People think dallas is so large because so many conflate Dallas with all the small cities that are part or the metroplex. Actual Dallas proper is smaller in size and population than San Antonio.

And cities in Texas are generally larger than cities in other states so the scale of what is and isn't a major city can be a bit fuzzy. I'm from Louisiana where "major city"  includes Lafayette and lake Charles, at like 120,000 and 60,000 people respectively. In Mississippi, a "major city"  is somewhere like Vicksburg or Meridian, both well under 100,000.

In Texas, we don't even consider Amarillo or Lubbock "major cities."   They are some of our smaller "large cities."  And both have populations over 200,000. Even Corpus Christi isn't considered a major city, with its 350,000. Because major city for us means Houston, Austin, San Antonio, El Paso, Dallas, Ft Worth.

The other thing people don't realize is just how large the Rio Grande Valley is. Tons or smaller cities all clumped together and over one million people.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

jgb191

I mentioned earlier how shocking it is for Flagstaff's population not being in the six-figures.

I am also surprised Duluth isn't also well into the six-figures; you'd think one of the busier ports in North America would have had at least 200K in the city itself (maybe even approaching a quarter-million residents).
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Rothman

Quote from: jgb191 on June 09, 2023, 10:42:24 AM
I mentioned earlier how shocking it is for Flagstaff's population not being in the six-figures.

I am also surprised Duluth isn't also well into the six-figures; you'd think one of the busier ports in North America would have had at least 200K in the city itself (maybe even approaching a quarter-million residents).

The Duluth-Superior MSA has nearly 300,000 people.  There's a reason why they're called the Twin Ports...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

thspfc

Quote from: Rothman on June 09, 2023, 10:44:00 AM

The Duluth-Superior MSA has nearly 300,000 people.  There's a reason why they're called the Twin Ports...
"Twin" used very loosely. The Wisconsin side accounts for less than a sixth of that 300k.

Henry

Quote from: Chris on May 29, 2023, 05:19:47 PM
Jacksonville, FL was mentioned upthread.

I was surprised it's not only the largest city in Florida, but actually the largest city in the entire southeastern United States. The city itself is almost twice as big as Atlanta.
Charlotte, NC may catch Jacksonville in that regard one day. With its continuous annexing of land that hasn't already been taken by a nearby town and resulting increase in population, don't be surprised if it happens a decade or two down the road.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Rothman

Quote from: thspfc on June 09, 2023, 09:41:19 PM

"Twin" used very loosely. The Wisconsin side accounts for less than a sixth of that 300k.
You forgot to add in Oliver.

Besides, the natural harbor is in Superior.  Duluth's harbor requires constant dredging.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Hunty2022

I thought Gloucester Point, VA was way smaller than around 9,000 people.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

thspfc

Quote from: Rothman on June 09, 2023, 10:04:15 PM
Quote from: thspfc on June 09, 2023, 09:41:19 PM

You forgot to add in Oliver.

Besides, the natural harbor is in Superior.  Duluth's harbor requires constant dredging.
I used Douglas County's total population. Only 44k.

bing101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming
Here's an interesting one the entire state of Wyomings population can fit in places like Fresno, and Sacramento city propers.

MikieTimT

Quote from: bing101 on June 11, 2023, 11:31:35 AM
Here's an interesting one the entire state of Wyomings population can fit in places like Fresno, and Sacramento city propers.

I would be there'd be more people in those cities interested in moving to Wyoming than the other way around.  I know I would.

zzcarp

Quote from: MikieTimT on June 12, 2023, 01:37:24 PM

I would be there'd be more people in those cities interested in moving to Wyoming than the other way around.  I know I would.

People have tried, but that Wyoming wind just blows them back out of state.
So many miles and so many roads

bing101

Quote from: kurumi on May 15, 2023, 10:27:40 PM
Providence, RI metro population: 1.67 million
Rhode Island total population: 1.1 million
Rhode Island's land area and Population size can fit inside Sacramento County, CA. Yes the State of Rhode Island is close to the same size as Sacramento County,CA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhode_Island

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacramento_County,_California

Hunty2022

I thought Ocean City, MD was way larger in population.

Only 6,844 at the 2020 census. I was honestly expecting around 20-25k.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

roadman65

Quote from: zzcarp on June 12, 2023, 01:50:59 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on June 12, 2023, 01:37:24 PM

People have tried, but that Wyoming wind just blows them back out of state.

Considering Florida is grown and surpassed New York and now is third populous state in nation, I'm kind of envious of Wyoming not having greedy developers bulldoze the open ranges. Our state is always building and never stops as every rural parcel is $$$ to private and public organizations.

However the cold temps between November and late May have a lot to do with that as Florida rarely drops below 50 in those months. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Dantheroadfan

Fresno ca is a lot bigger than people think with traffic and a population of about a million up from the 2010 census

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: roadman65 on July 03, 2023, 06:09:35 PM
However the cold temps between November and late May have a lot to do with that as Florida rarely drops below 50 in those months. 

This has long been a problem for many northern tier states with harsh winters that the remote work era then kicked into another gear. Some Midwestern states are realizing they need to remake themselves and their images as "destination states"  in order to reverse or at least slow the trends, some with varying approaches. South Dakota has gone all-in on trying to appeal to disaffected blue-state conservatives to consider choosing it over the traditional Sun Belt options, while Minnesota used its most recent legislative session to try to create in its government's words "the best state to raise a family" . Obviously no legislation can fix winter here, and it's admittedly not for everyone.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

The Nature Boy

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 04, 2023, 10:35:01 PM

This has long been a problem for many northern tier states with harsh winters that the remote work era then kicked into another gear. Some Midwestern states are realizing they need to remake themselves and their images as "destination states"  in order to reverse or at least slow the trends, some with varying approaches. South Dakota has gone all-in on trying to appeal to disaffected blue-state conservatives to consider choosing it over the traditional Sun Belt options, while Minnesota used its most recent legislative session to try to create in its government's words "the best state to raise a family" . Obviously no legislation can fix winter here, and it's admittedly not for everyone.

The invention of the air conditioner was the worst thing to ever happen to the Northeast and Upper Midwest.

MATraveler128

I never thought that Mesa, Arizona and Memphis were actually bigger than Miami. Miami feels a lot bigger than it actually is population wise.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

formulanone

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on July 04, 2023, 10:49:00 PM
I never thought that Mesa, Arizona and Memphis were actually bigger than Miami. Miami feels a lot bigger than it actually is population wise.

Well, there's Miami proper and then Miami + surrounding cities with "Miami" + suburbs and suddenly you have 2 million people in Miami-Dade County. It's even more once the unbroken stretch north to Jupiter is counted.

If Miami was just some isolated city, but throw in Miami Beach (because otherwise Miami just being there would just be kind of pointless) then it would be roughly the size of Wichita's metro area.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: formulanone on July 05, 2023, 02:55:21 PM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on July 04, 2023, 10:49:00 PM

Well, there's Miami proper and then Miami + surrounding cities with "Miami" + suburbs and suddenly you have 2 million people in Miami-Dade County. It's even more once the unbroken stretch north to Jupiter is counted.

If Miami was just some isolated city, but throw in Miami Beach (because otherwise Miami just being there would just be kind of pointless) then it would be roughly the size of Wichita's metro area.

I know this isn't the reality, but in my mind I built a picture of Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood being "suburbs" of Miami, while Boca, Pompano and West Palm are their own entities. Yes, I know about FLL. I'm not from the area.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

brad2971

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_net_migration

South Dakota has had something that Sunbelt states like California, Hawaii, and New Mexico haven't had: Net positive domestic in-migration in the last two years totaling 14,711 new residents. And SD's rate of positive domestic migration per 1000 residents currently beats that of high-growth places like Colorado and Georgia.

And yes, this South Dakota native is surprised at this situation, as this has not been happening to South Dakota in more than 100 years.

Ted$8roadFan

Worcester, MA now has over 200,000 people for the first time since 1950. It is the second largest city in New England, but because it is so close to Boston its size isn't as noticeable. 

Road Hog

Quote from: brad2971 on July 05, 2023, 09:34:36 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_net_migration

South Dakota has had something that Sunbelt states like California, Hawaii, and New Mexico haven't had: Net positive domestic in-migration in the last two years totaling 14,711 new residents. And SD's rate of positive domestic migration per 1000 residents currently beats that of high-growth places like Colorado and Georgia.

And yes, this South Dakota native is surprised at this situation, as this has not been happening to South Dakota in more than 100 years.
You can thank the energy sector and more specifically, fracking for that.

brad2971

Quote from: Road Hog on July 06, 2023, 09:46:39 PM
Quote from: brad2971 on July 05, 2023, 09:34:36 PM

This has long been a problem for many northern tier states with harsh winters that the remote work era then kicked into another gear. Some Midwestern states are realizing they need to remake themselves and their images as “destination states” in order to reverse or at least slow the trends, some with varying approaches. South Dakota has gone all-in on trying to appeal to disaffected blue-state conservatives to consider choosing it over the traditional Sun Belt options, while Minnesota used its most recent legislative session to try to create in its government’s words “the best state to raise a family”. Obviously no legislation can fix winter here, and it’s admittedly not for everyone.

You can thank the energy sector and more specifically, fracking for that.

There you go again, confusing the Dakotas. NORTH Dakota has the oil/gas fracking. A fair number of your fellow Texans go up there to work in the Bakken formation, so I'd think you would know that.

Road Hog

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.