AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Delaware  (Read 695202 times)

mtantillo

• Last Login: May 21, 2023, 04:48:53 PM
Re: Delaware
« Reply #150 on: June 26, 2011, 01:40:49 AM »

Went along I-95 southbound through Delaware today and photographed some new signs going up between the service plaza and the Newark tolls. The Newark toll plaza is nearing completion and I must say, it doesn't look half bad...

Thanks for posting the pics!  Its nice to see what the toll plaza actually looks like, seeing as I haven't actually driven through it in many years. 

Alex

• Webmaster

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 02:36:56 PM
    • AARoads
No relief in sight for road-weary motorists (DE)
« Reply #151 on: June 26, 2011, 12:56:35 PM »

No relief in sight for road-weary motorists

1. Del. 1 at I-95: Christiana Mall bridge relocation, $12.2 million, through November 2012.

2. I-95 Newark toll plaza: $30 million, could open all lanes by July Fourth weekend.

3. Elkton Road: Casho Mill to Delaware Avenue, $10.5 million, through September 2012.

4. Kirkwood Highway: Del. 7 to Del. 100 at east end of Elsmere, $2.1 million, repair/repaving through mid-November.

5. Del. 141 Newport Bridge: 1-95 at Newport, $14.8 million, through summer 2014.

6. Del. 1: Barkers Landing (St. Jones River south of Dover Air Force Base) to Frederica, repairs/repaving.

7. Indian River Inlet Bridge: $150 million, lane restrictions. Opens in December.

8. Del. 54: West of Fenwick Island, $10 million, widening and improvements through May 2012.

mtantillo

« Reply #152 on: June 26, 2011, 11:25:44 PM »

Looks like we have some progress at the Newark Toll plaza.  Here's what I saw when I was through that area just now. 

I didn't pass through the toll plaza (haven't in years), and I was taking my usual diversion route: MD 279/DE 2, Otts Chapel Road, Welsh Tract Road, DE 896. So I crossed over 95 twice on both Otts Chapel and Welsh Tract. There were signs on I-95 saying "new traffic pattern (today's date)"

Southbound was not done yet. Looked like the left lane was going through the high-speed E-ZPass (but not at high speed yet), the center two were going to the booths (the left of 2 lanes signed for E-ZPass Only), and the right lane is still exit-only at DE 896/Exit 1. Traffic was rather heavy in the one cash approach lane, and looked like it was moving at medium speed through the high-speed lane. 

Northbound, it appeared as if 2 lanes were going through the high-speed E-ZPass area....the center lane diverged.

I can already see what the next problem is going to be...the 3-lane section of I-95 in MD between the DE tolls and MD 24/Exit 77. With the floodgates open and all that DE traffic suddenly able to get into MD quickly, I-95 will get bogged down in MD during busy times. It was a bear tonight. Northbound will likely jam up at the I-95/I-495/I-295/NJ Turnpike split worse than it does now.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #153 on: June 27, 2011, 07:53:19 PM »

Looks like we have some progress at the Newark Toll plaza.  Here's what I saw when I was through that area just now. 

I didn't pass through the toll plaza (haven't in years), and I was taking my usual diversion route: MD 279/DE 2, Otts Chapel Road, Welsh Tract Road, DE 896. So I crossed over 95 twice on both Otts Chapel and Welsh Tract. There were signs on I-95 saying "new traffic pattern (today's date)"

Is that faster than Chestnut Hill Rd.? Or about the same?

MASTERNC

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:10:31 PM
« Reply #154 on: June 27, 2011, 11:15:56 PM »

Southbound was not done yet. Looked like the left lane was going through the high-speed E-ZPass (but not at high speed yet), the center two were going to the booths (the left of 2 lanes signed for E-ZPass Only), and the right lane is still exit-only at DE 896/Exit 1. Traffic was rather heavy in the one cash approach lane, and looked like it was moving at medium speed through the high-speed lane. 

From what I saw on traffic cameras over the past few days, it looks like the lanes are open in both directions.  The southbound pattern has been restored to 4 lanes past DE 896.  The E-ZPass lanes are being closed off-peak to finish construction.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
I-95 high-speed E-ZPass lanes open at Newark toll plaza (DE)
« Reply #155 on: June 28, 2011, 11:11:50 AM »

I-95 high-speed E-ZPass lanes open at Newark toll plaza

Some good news for the road-weary this holiday weekend -- the I-95 toll plaza in Newark, which has been a major chokepoint, will be easing its grip on traffic.

As of Monday, the highway-speed E-ZPass lanes -- where electronic transponders are read without vehicles having to slow down or drive through a traditional tollbooth -- are completed and open for business, said Delaware Department of Transportation spokesman Mike Williams, with two lanes on the northbound side and two lanes on the southbound side.

The expectation is that the lanes will ease congestion at the tolls, which had gotten worse over the past year as construction shut down conventional toll lanes to make way for the new E-ZPass lanes.

"It is not going to magically make backups or delays go away," said Williams, adding that during unusually high-volume times like holiday weekends, that would be next to impossible. But he said the new lanes are a major change and drivers should notice a much more "comfortable" ride through the plaza.

Fleetwood Mac Attack

• Last Login: March 20, 2018, 12:04:20 PM
« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2011, 12:42:46 PM »

Was just going to ask the same thing. Also, is it just me, or are more and more people catching on to skirting the MD/DE state line toll? Last time I skirted it I made the mistake of going all the way up to DE-4 and sat in a 10-15 minute queue (of course, I could sit in that same queue on I-95 and pay $4, too!). That WAS Memorial Day weekend though, if I recall...

NJRoadfan

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:30:29 PM
« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2011, 07:18:23 PM »

Was just going to ask the same thing. Also, is it just me, or are more and more people catching on to skirting the MD/DE state line toll? Last time I skirted it I made the mistake of going all the way up to DE-4 and sat in a 10-15 minute queue (of course, I could sit in that same queue on I-95 and pay $4, too!). That WAS Memorial Day weekend though, if I recall...

Hard economic times. I bypass it to payback the speeding ticket I got in Delaware, makes me feel good. I always spot out of state plates doing the shunpike, most people do the DE-4 route, not too many are aware of Otis Chapel/Chestnut Hill Rd. or Welsh Tract Rd.

ChezeHed81

• Last Login: March 04, 2024, 05:23:33 PM
Delaware SR-1, Exit 86 Opened
« Reply #158 on: July 05, 2011, 02:10:15 PM »

This past weekend, I was able to get down to Frederica, and check out SR-1's newest interchange, which opened June 28, 2011.

Southbound

Southbound

Southbound; the highway curves to the left here, so the overpass itself was easier to capture from the northbound direction (see next image).

Northbound; with a partial view of the overpass, which features two-way traffic separated by a double yellow line.  Where the northbound on ramp transitions from two-way traffic, Do Not Enter / Wrong Way assemblies are present on the northbound off ramp from SR-1.  Minimal control, but likely adequate for the level of traffic this interchange will serve.

The intersection where the north- and southbound SR-1 on/off ramps meet, from the bottom of the northbound off ramp.  The down stroke of the overpass to this intersection seems rather steep; should be interesting to see how the design holds up when the pavement becomes icy.  The ramps seem to be additionally intended to function well as a u-turn opportunity, which is good since several median crossings will be closed in the area.  Southbound has a similar assembly.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:21:39 PM by ChezeHed81 »

mtantillo

« Reply #159 on: July 07, 2011, 01:31:51 AM »

I'd say about the same in the NB direction, and slightly faster in the SB direction (since you can't make the left from 896 to Chestnut Hill and have to go through that NJ style jughandle loop).  I like Welsh Tract just because I can laugh at the people stuck in traffic when I cross over 95 twice.  I guess I won't be doing that anymore, but I can still laugh at them for throwing away $4!

mtantillo

« Reply #160 on: July 07, 2011, 01:37:36 AM »

Yeah, over Labor Day weekend, I was stuck in a long delay making the left from DE 4 onto DE 2.  So I rarely go that way in the southbound direction anymore, preferring Welsh Tract instead (Chestnut Hill is an alternative too, but involves a jughandle loop to make the turn off of 896).  Northbound, I find that all 3 routes work just fine, because the major turns are all to the right!

I'm considering being nice to DelDOT and maybe being willing to pay the toll in the SB direction since they were nice enough to provide high speed lanes.  I think $2 each way is a semi-reasonable price to pay for the Delaware Turnpike, so I can pay that $4 per round trip by paying the $4 toll in one direction and bypassing in the other.  If I'm only going to bypass in one direction, I'd choose northbound, since there are fewer left turns involved. 

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
Re: Delaware SR-1, Exit 86 Opened
« Reply #161 on: July 08, 2011, 05:05:39 PM »

This past weekend, I was able to get down to Frederica, and check out SR-1's newest interchange, which opened June 28, 2011.
<snip>

Thanks for sharing these photos!  :clap:

Looks like they did a decent job with the new exit. The use of an exit number is a nice surprise.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
Contract cuts cost, time of I-95 project (DE)
« Reply #162 on: July 09, 2011, 11:01:17 AM »

Contract cuts cost, time of I-95 project

A Maryland-based company won a $111.9 million contract Wednesday to rebuild the always busy and often snarled I-95/Del. 1 interchange, undercutting DelDOT's estimate by nearly $34 million and shaving 14 months off the state's construction schedule.

Jessup-based Cherry Hill Construction Inc.'s bid was about 23.2 percent lower than the nearly $145.7 million that DelDOT expected to pay for the sprawling, multi-ramp and multi-overpass design.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2011, 10:22:31 AM »

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #164 on: July 26, 2011, 11:15:34 AM »

Revamped I-95 toll plaza gets official rededication

The pictures PennDOTFan posted give a sense for where the express carriageway begins on the southbound side. Anyone know where it begins going north?

(BTW, I've always liked the "Must Exit" verbiage Delaware uses. I don't know why I prefer it to "Exit Only," I just do.)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:18:49 AM by 1995hoo »
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

akotchi

• Traffic Engineer by Day; Roadgeek by Night

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:41:35 PM
« Reply #165 on: July 26, 2011, 08:29:18 PM »

Contract cuts cost, time of I-95 project

A Maryland-based company won a $111.9 million contract Wednesday to rebuild the always busy and often snarled I-95/Del. 1 interchange, undercutting DelDOT's estimate by nearly $34 million and shaving 14 months off the state's construction schedule.

Jessup-based Cherry Hill Construction Inc.'s bid was about 23.2 percent lower than the nearly $145.7 million that DelDOT expected to pay for the sprawling, multi-ramp and multi-overpass design.

Interesting that project bids are still coming in so far lower than the Engineer's estimates.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

mtantillo

« Reply #166 on: July 31, 2011, 02:35:51 AM »

Revamped I-95 toll plaza gets official rededication

The pictures PennDOTFan posted give a sense for where the express carriageway begins on the southbound side. Anyone know where it begins going north?

Just north of the Otts Chapel overpass. 

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #167 on: August 02, 2011, 10:52:17 AM »

Sprawl in Delaware knows no bounds. This approval is in anticipation of building a 4th shopping center at the intersection of US 40 & Delaware 7, replacing the last area of empty space.

DelDOT: Overpass not needed for Governor's Square

The Delaware Department of Transportation said Monday that the proposed Governor's Square III Shopping Center can be built without having to build a multimillion-dollar overpass of Del. 7 over U.S. 40.

The move clears the way for New Castle County Council to vote on a rezoning request by developer DelleDonne & Associates that would allow the shopping center to be built. The property is now zoned for office space.

DelDOT's conclusion, made as the agency announced it has completed its review of DelleDonne's traffic-impact study, marks a reversal of the agency's comments in March, when it refused DelleDonne's request to waive the study.

At that time, DelDOT officials said huge improvements of the Del. 7 and U.S. 40 intersection might be needed to maintain required traffic-service levels. Monday, DelDOT said new data show that congestion at the intersection has actually dropped from 2009 to 2010.

I have never considered adding a traffic light to be an "improvement"...

The improvements include widening Del. 7 to four lanes from Newtown Road to a point north of Rivers End Drive; extending the southbound left-turn lanes at 7 and 40 to 725 feet; improving intersections and adding traffic lights along Del. 7; and sharing in the costs of any of the improvements performed by DelDOT.

The threshold for an intersection to be at "failed" status is for a vehicle to be delayed for 55 seconds at peak-evening driving times, Bhatt said. "The delay for a vehicle to get through routes 7 and 40 is now 53.6 seconds.

"The agency finds acceptable service levels can be maintained if the developer makes certain improvements in the corridor," DelDOT said in a statement.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #168 on: August 15, 2011, 12:21:59 PM »

North side of new Indian River Inlet Bridge completed

The new Indian River Inlet Bridge moved a step closer to completion today.

Following final concrete formation for the north side of the bridge, workers removed the steel structure used for its construction, the Delaware Department of Transportation announced.

Removal of the 300-ton structure -- called a form traveler -- also means boaters will now have more clearance for traveling beneath the new bridge.

DelDOT said the channel was closed in cooperation with the Coast Guard between 2 a.m. and 8 a.m. today while the form traveler was lowered onto a barge. Designed specifically for this project, the form traveler will be taken to Virginia and recycled.

A similar structure remains on the south side of the bridge, where four sections remain to be built.

The final concrete pour is expected in late October or early November, with completion of the $150 million bridge planned in December.

The cable-supported span will carry Del. 1 across the inlet, replacing an older, lower bridge that has been plagued by underwater erosion.

Traffic on Del. 1 remains restricted to one lane in each direction during construction.

mtantillo

« Reply #169 on: August 15, 2011, 09:44:58 PM »

I have never considered adding a traffic light to be an "improvement"...

Most people don't, unless you happen to live on the side street. 

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
US 202 / I-95 interchange work set to begin (DE)
« Reply #170 on: September 27, 2011, 12:20:40 PM »

This project eliminates Exit 8A of Interstate 95 southbound to make way for a new wider ramp from U.S. 202 south onto I-95 south.

Middletown company wins bid for I-95-U.S. 202 project

The Department of Transportation has announced Middletown-based Mumford & Miller Concrete Inc. has received the winning bid for the I-95 and U.S. 202 reconstruction project.

The construction, slated to begin in November and be completed by fall 2014, will have a price tag of $27,607,113.22, the lowest of five bids received.
DelDOT says the project will include the removal of the I-95 southbound ramp to the U.S. 202 loop ramp and relocating the ramp to become a directional ramp that would tie into U.S. 202 with a new traffic signal.

The project will address a vertical clearance by lowering I-95 southbound under U.S. 202, bridge rehabilitations, widening the ramp from I-95 to U.S. 202 northbound from one to two lanes and extending the two-lane ramp from U.S. 202 to I-95 southbound further down I-95.

Truvelo

• Speed limits limit life

• Last Login: December 08, 2023, 03:39:16 PM
Re: US 202 / I-95 interchange work set to begin (DE)
« Reply #171 on: September 27, 2011, 01:24:08 PM »

US 202 around there has undergone a lot of changes over the last few years. In 2006 I took some pictures of what looked like a new road layout only to find the Augustine Cut Off exit has since been removed. Will the I-95/US 202 ramp be the last work to take place?

Speed limits limit life

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
Re: US 202 / I-95 interchange work set to begin (DE)
« Reply #172 on: September 27, 2011, 02:40:42 PM »

US 202 around there has undergone a lot of changes over the last few years. In 2006 I took some pictures of what looked like a new road layout only to find the Augustine Cut Off exit has since been removed. Will the I-95/US 202 ramp be the last work to take place?

The interchange modification is the last piece of the long string of projects dating back to the 1990s at Blue Ball. That Augustine Cutoff turn lane was a popular back way into Wilmington. Now drivers have to use the partial interchange with Foulk Road onto West Park Road to make the connection.

How it looked in December 2008.

Michael in Philly

• Last Login: August 10, 2013, 11:34:05 AM
« Reply #173 on: September 27, 2011, 03:47:46 PM »

This project eliminates Exit 8A of Interstate 95 southbound to make way for a new wider ramp from U.S. 202 south onto I-95 south.

Middletown company wins bid for I-95-U.S. 202 project

The Department of Transportation has announced Middletown-based Mumford & Miller Concrete Inc. has received the winning bid for the I-95 and U.S. 202 reconstruction project.

The construction, slated to begin in November and be completed by fall 2014, will have a price tag of $27,607,113.22, the lowest of five bids received.
DelDOT says the project will include the removal of the I-95 southbound ramp to the U.S. 202 loop ramp and relocating the ramp to become a directional ramp that would tie into U.S. 202 with a new traffic signal.

The project will address a vertical clearance by lowering I-95 southbound under U.S. 202, bridge rehabilitations, widening the ramp from I-95 to U.S. 202 northbound from one to two lanes and extending the two-lane ramp from U.S. 202 to I-95 southbound further down I-95.

That means that erroneous sign will finally be gone!
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #174 on: October 07, 2011, 12:00:28 AM »

Christiana Mall ramp to I-95 NB to close next week

The ramp from the Christiana Mall to northbound I-95 will close permanently Tuesday as part of an ongoing road project in the area, state officials announced today.

Instead, traffic will be directed to the ramp for northbound Del. 1 near JCPenny’s, and then be able to exit onto northbound I-95.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.