AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Delaware  (Read 695179 times)

Alex

• Webmaster

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 02:36:56 PM
    • AARoads
Re: Delaware
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2011, 01:48:57 PM »

Delaware roads: Deficit may force hike in tolls

Proposals to fix shortfall would barely make a dent

TOP REVENUE-GENERATING OPTIONS

Raise Del. 1 weekday toll to $2, weekend toll to $3: $36.4 million

Raise all I-95 tolls by $1: $24.5 million

Charge toll for new Indian River Inlet bridge: $7.6 million

Raise Del. 1 commercial vehicle toll by $1: $4.5 million

Increase gas tax by 1 cent: $4.5 million

Estimated state road and transit budget shortfalls have swollen to nearly $1 billion for the next five years and $3.7 billion through 2023, according to an updated tally released late Tuesday by a panel seeking options for closing the gap.

In the first draft of a plan to deal with the growing money shortage, Transportation Trust Fund Task Force members listed possibilities that included hikes in tolls on Del. 1 and I-95, new fees for some types of driver's license renewals and motor vehicle transactions, higher penalties for insurance violations and a boost in billboard fees.

Those actions, however, would barely make a dent in the deficits, which ultimately will have to be settled by lawmakers and Gov. Jack Markell. The 10 largest revenue proposals, including some given little chance of approval, would generate only about $210 million annually.

"This is getting to look to me like it's unobtainable," said Sen. Robert L. Venables, D-Laurel, who co-chairs the Legislature's capital budget committee. He added later: "I don't think the General Assembly realizes what we're working on and how bad these figures are."

Other, more drastic steps that made the list of recommendations included new tolls on Del. 1 ramps that are currently free south of the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal and along the Del. 1 main line south of Milford, as well as higher fuel taxes and fees for transit services used by the disabled and elderly.

Lawmakers formed the trust fund panel last year in response to warnings that DelDOT would run out of money as early as 2012 for projects financed only with state revenues. A report is due to the General Assembly and Markell by March 31.

"We're now down to the core programs, primarily," said outgoing DelDOT Secretary Carolann Wicks. "All we really have are federally funded projects like the U.S. 202 interchange, Route 54 -- they're all federally funded. We've already lost all of the state-only projects."

Markell's office released a cautious written statement late Tuesday after receiving a briefing on the draft list.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2011, 12:05:03 PM »

Transportation Trust Fund Task Force 2011 proposed fee increases

Thanks to Bob Chessick for sending me the link. Listed are a bunch of proposals, some in the near term, others down the road, of fee/toll increases in Delaware.

Among those listed, $1 toll increases for Interstate 95 and SR 1
A $2 monthly maintenance fee for Delaware-based EZPass accounts
Tolling Delaware 1 south of Milford
Tolling the new Indian River Inlet Bridge
Tolling the free ramps from the SR 1 Bridge at South St. Georges (though I doubt they could get the law changed as to why those are free).
Speed cameras on the SR 1 Turnpike
Tolls on U.S. 13, U.S. 113, Delaware 404 in Sussex County

Many of things will never fly, such as adding tolls to an arterial highway. But others, like the toll increases and EZPass account maintenance fees probably will.

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2011, 12:15:24 PM »

They could arguably put tolls on DE 1 *IN* Milford...it's close enough to freeway grade and while there are alternative routes, they're a bit time-consuming.

Same with the Indian River Inlet Bridge.

deathtopumpkins

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 01:10:40 PM
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2011, 10:15:24 PM »

Speed cameras, eh? Those would certainly cement my decision to take I-95 rather than go up the Eastern Shore in the future.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

elsmere241

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:53:40 PM
« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2011, 08:35:40 AM »

Tolling the free ramps from the SR 1 Bridge at South St. Georges (though I doubt they could get the law changed as to why those are free).

It would be easier to put in a tollbooth on DE 1 somewhere north of the Canal.

mightyace

• Last Login: October 04, 2012, 01:36:29 PM
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2011, 03:41:12 AM »

Many of things will never fly, such as adding tolls to an arterial highway. But others, like the toll increases and EZPass account maintenance fees probably will.

If you go electronic only, it's possible.  But, even there only practical if there aren't too many access points for shunpiking.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2011, 07:50:15 AM »

Speed cameras, eh? Those would certainly cement my decision to take I-95 rather than go up the Eastern Shore in the future.

Since you're on the Peninsula, I could see that.  If you were Southside, even with speed cameras on the Delmarva, it'd still be faster/shorter to take 13/113/etc etc.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2011, 11:19:48 AM »

Northbound Del. 1 to close tonight near Christiana Mall

Northbound Del. 1 near Christiana Mall will be closed for eight hours tonight to allow for overhead sign removal, DelDOT reports.

The work is part of an interchange project to improve the connection with I-95.

The northbound lanes will be closed from 9 tonight until 5 a.m. Thursday.

Northbound traffic will be detoured onto Del. 273 at exit 162, west to I-95 and north to the Del. 1 exit (4A).

The southbound lanes were closed for the work on Tuesday night.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2011, 11:57:24 AM »

Delaware roads: Midstate highway faces more obstacles

Lower projections for traffic, tolls raise questions as DelDOT seeks federal help

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2011, 05:55:04 PM »

Bridge authority plans $1 toll hike on Delaware Memorial

Tolls on the Delaware Memorial Bridge would rise by a $1 for passenger cars and trucks with a similar per-axle increase for commercial vehicles under a proposal to avert a budget crisis at the bridge authority.

The rate hike would help pay for a variety of projects, Salmon said, including $29 million in improvements to I-295, $28 million for painting and structural work on the bridge, $10 million for upgrades at toll collection stations, $9 million for inspection of bridge cables and suspension ropes and $4.3 million to replace the electronic signage system that lets motorists know when lanes on the bridge are closed.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2011, 07:32:09 PM »

Bridge authority plans $1 toll hike on Delaware Memorial

Tolls on the Delaware Memorial Bridge would rise by a $1 for passenger cars and trucks with a similar per-axle increase for commercial vehicles under a proposal to avert a budget crisis at the bridge authority.

The rate hike would help pay for a variety of projects, Salmon said, including $29 million in improvements to I-295, $28 million for painting and structural work on the bridge, $10 million for upgrades at toll collection stations, $9 million for inspection of bridge cables and suspension ropes and $4.3 million to replace the electronic signage system that lets motorists know when lanes on the bridge are closed.
Hopefully incentive to get more traffic off this bridge on summer weekends and onto US 322.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2011, 10:51:21 AM »

Delaware roads: A bridge so far

DelDOT expects the cable-supported north and south sections of the bridge deck to meet in the middle by October, with the roadway expected to be opened to traffic in December, about eight months past the original plan.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2011, 10:00:08 PM »

Delaware government: DelDOT will pay developers until bypass plan is settled

Markell also gave the Sussex County legislators an ultimatum, telling them to reach a consensus by the end of the legislative session on U.S. 113 improvements or risk having the money spent elsewhere in the state. All planning on the U.S. 113 project, on which $14 million already has been spent, was stopped.

Now, the 12 Sussex lawmakers agree unanimously that they won't support the current bypass plan, according to Rep. Pete Schwartzkopf, D-Rehoboth Beach. The House majority leader said Thursday he had drafted a letter outlining a new proposal for Markell. The delegation said it wants all improvements to U.S. 113 from Milford to Selbyville to be made on the highway's current alignment, with a short bypass diverting traffic east of the town of Millsboro, Schwartzkopf said.

The lawmakers support routing the bypass at Millsboro through as much state land as possible, such as the Stockley Center north of Millsboro, Schwartzkopf said.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2011, 10:43:42 AM »

Christina bridge [Wilmington] plans to be unveiled

Possible locations for Riverfront span to be discussed
A Wilmington Riverfront transportation coalition will take plans for a new bridge over the Christina River to the public from 5 to 7 p.m. next Monday at the Center on the Riverfront.

The session, at 815 Justison St., will include possible locations for the new span, which will expand links to several routes, including I-95, I-495, U.S. 13 and local roads.

The Delaware Department of Transportation's long-range plans call for a bridge that would connect the Riverfront area just south of The Shipyard (formerly the Shipyard Shops) with U.S. 13 south of the South Walnut Street and South Market Street split.

Current estimates peg the cost at about $45 million, including $33.4 million for construction and $8.6 million for right-of-way purchases, possibly beginning as early as next year. Construction is unlikely to begin before 2014, however, with the Federal Highway Administration picking up 80 percent of the cost of land and construction.

Wilmington Initiatives, a group that includes the city of Wilmington, the Wilmington Metropolitan Planning Organization and state transportation agencies, will sponsor the session.

Information will be available on several other projects, ranging from sidewalk and lighting improvements to streetscape and beautification efforts. Most are intended to promote a balance of transportation services, including mass transit, pedestrian, bicycle, rail and motor vehicle.

Although DelDOT has warned that the state's Transportation Trust Fund is short of cash, the Markell administration's proposed Bond Bill for the fiscal year that begins July 1 sets aside $8.6 million to begin land purchases.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
Tolls to go up on Delaware Memorial Bridge
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2011, 04:41:45 PM »

The Delaware River and Bay Authority has approved a $1 increase to the toll at the Delaware Memorial Bridge, a spokesman said.

The toll is currently $3. The new $4 rate goes into effect July 1, said DRBA spokesman Jim Salmon.

The $4 toll will apply to passenger vehicles; a $1 per axle increase was also approved for commercial vehicles.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
Re: Tolls to go up on Delaware Memorial Bridge
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2011, 09:01:34 AM »

Follow up article on the toll increase:

Delaware Memorial Bridge tolls to rise

The increases are expected to raise an additional $22 million in revenue annually -- money that will be used for capital improvements at the bridge and the Cape May-Lewes Ferry.

The money raised will be used for a variety of projects -- not just at the bridge. Among them are I-295 highway upgrades that are expected to cost $29 million and dock work and improvements to passenger loading systems at the Cape May-Lewes Ferry that are expected to cost $15 million.

The Delaware River and Bay Authority has approved a $1 increase to the toll at the Delaware Memorial Bridge, a spokesman said.

The toll is currently $3. The new $4 rate goes into effect July 1, said DRBA spokesman Jim Salmon.

The $4 toll will apply to passenger vehicles; a $1 per axle increase was also approved for commercial vehicles.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #141 on: June 06, 2011, 11:34:58 AM »

NJ E-ZPass taking over operations for Del. Memorial Bridge

NEW CASTLE – New Jersey's E-ZPass service center is taking over management of accounts issued by the Delaware River and Bay Authority.

The authority operates the Delaware Memorial Bridge, which connects New Jersey and Delaware near Wilmington.

It has 43,000 E-ZPass accounts.

The DRBA says it will save $750,000 per year by having the New Jersey operation handle its accounts.

Customers will also save. Their monthly membership fee will be $1 instead of the current $1.50 and they won't have to pay to buy transponders any more. They'll also benefit from additional discount plans.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #142 on: June 07, 2011, 02:01:51 PM »

Comparisons between the two Delaware Memorial Bridge spans.

Massive spans might look alike but each has its own history

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »

Bridge work to close I-495, I-95 lanes next week

Southbound I-495 in Claymont will be reduced to one lane for months starting next week as crews peform maintenance on a bridge over the highway, officials announced today.

Both southbound lanes will be closed between the Naamans Road and Philadelphia Pike exits from 9 p.m. Wednesday until 5 a.m. Thursday to allow for placement of a barrier wall to protect workers. Detours will be posted.

One lane of the highway will then reopen.

Contractors will be working behind the barrier wall during the daytime, according to a statement from the Delaware Department of Transportation.

The project also includes rehabilitation of the Naamans Road bridge over I-95.

The northbound and southbound right lanes of I-95 will be closed from 9 p.m. Thursday until 5 a.m. June 17 to allow for placement of barrier walls beneath the Naamans bridge. Then the right shoulders will remain closed around-the-clock until the work is completed in mid-September 2012.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #144 on: June 19, 2011, 11:10:29 AM »

Delaware roads: Access between Del. 1 and Del. 12 to improve soon

Motorists on Del. 1 will get better access to Del. 12 at Frederica this week, but a new overpass under construction won't be opening until early July.

Starting Monday, southbound motorists on Del. 1 will be allowed to exit onto Del. 12 (Frederica Road) at the north end of the town. And drivers on Del. 12 will be able to enter the southbound lanes of Del. 1 at the north end of the town, said Michael Williams of the state transportation department.

But access to and from northbound Del. 1 will continue to be from Frederica Road at the south end of the town until the overpass is opened.

Ian

• Last Login: May 17, 2023, 12:18:33 PM
    • My Flickr
« Reply #145 on: June 21, 2011, 08:35:49 PM »

Went along I-95 southbound through Delaware today and photographed some new signs going up between the service plaza and the Newark tolls. The Newark toll plaza is nearing completion and I must say, it doesn't look half bad...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #146 on: June 21, 2011, 09:07:16 PM »

Went along I-95 southbound through Delaware today and photographed some new signs going up between the service plaza and the Newark tolls. The Newark toll plaza is nearing completion and I must say, it doesn't look half bad...

Whoah  :wow: "Last Exit Before Toll" placards! Amazing, how long has Interstate 95 gone without these?  :banghead:  Even more amazing are those signs (even the Clearview) with the inane "MUST EXIT" garbage that were still in place. Good riddance to those   :nod:

I see US 301 is now relegated to auxiliary signage status. Must be in anticipation of the US 301 toll proposal that will reroute the highway away from the Glasgow end point.

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #147 on: June 22, 2011, 01:37:54 PM »

Considering that US 301 ends at US 40 anyway, the "TO" signs are actually correct even without the toll proposal reroute.

Michael in Philly

• Last Login: August 10, 2013, 11:34:05 AM
« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2011, 04:25:24 PM »

I think the sign for "896 to 301" has read thus since at least 2008....
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
Delaware 1/12 interchange opens 06-28-11
« Reply #149 on: June 24, 2011, 11:11:20 AM »

New Del. 1 overpass to open on Tuesday

A new overpass on Del. 1 at Frederica will be open to traffic on Tuesday, officials announced today.

The overpass, to open by the end of the day, will allow traffic entering and exiting the northbound lanes to cross over the highway to connect with Del. 12 at the north end of town.

Ramps for southbound access were opened earlier this week, following more than a year of construction. The project eliminated a stop-sign controlled median crossing that was the scene of numerous accidents, some fatal.

The Delaware Department of Transportation has other overpasses planned for Del. 1, with some awaiting funding:

- Del. 30 (Wilkins Road/Cedar Neck Road). Construction will begin in spring 2012.

- At south end of Frederica, junction with Frederica, Tub Mill Pond and Milford Neck roads. Construction might begin in fall 2013.

- At Little Heaven, junction with Bowers Beach and Clapham roads. Construction could begin late summer or early fall of 2014.

- At Milford, junction with Northeast Front Street and New Wharf Road. Construction might begin in fall 2015.

- Thompsonville Road south of Frederica. Construction could begin late summer or early fall 2015.

- Barratts Chapel Road north of Frederica. Construction and right-of-way plans are currently not funded. No design work is being planned.

An overpass at Del. 9 at the south end of Dover was completed in November 2009.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.