News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 09, 2022, 10:40:37 AM
(For DE 279)  TRAFFIC ALERT - New Castle County - New Traffic Pattern on Elkton Road

I drove through the project yesterday and got to see the third lane NB.  The most interesting thing with this project basically being done is that there is much more DE 279 signage than there had been previously.

famartin

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 12, 2023, 02:36:21 PM
(For DE 279)  TRAFFIC ALERT - New Castle County - New Traffic Pattern on Elkton Road

I drove through the project yesterday and got to see the third lane NB.  The most interesting thing with this project basically being done is that there is much more DE 279 signage than there had been previously.
Yes they were very thorough. Though there is (or at least, was in July) an erroneous "Begin 896" sign at the end of 279.

Alex

Quote from: famartin on February 12, 2023, 04:10:32 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 12, 2023, 02:36:21 PM

Yes they were very thorough. Though there is (or at least, was in July) an erroneous "Begin 896" sign at the end of 279.

Still there as of Christmas Eve:

The begin shield assembly was part of the sign plans for the Elkton Road reconstruction, so it was legitimately installed unfortunately. I posted some of the plans in a previous post in this thread.

Prior to that work there was only one SR 279 shield remaining per direction. Nice improvement now.

odditude

there's a few brand-new APLs on I-95 SB at DE 141 that suffer from both the 3/4 error and a wide-enough gap between the two component panels that it can be mistaken for a divider line if the sky is bright enough behind them.

glancing up while driving, it looked like all of the new signage just installed on DE 141 itself also suffers from the 3/4 error.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: odditude on February 14, 2023, 01:20:53 AM
there's a few brand-new APLs on I-95 SB at DE 141 that suffer from both the 3/4 error and a wide-enough gap between the two component panels that it can be mistaken for a divider line if the sky is bright enough behind them.

glancing up while driving, it looked like all of the new signage just installed on DE 141 itself also suffers from the 3/4 error.

The signage is almost unreadable in some cases. Delaware normally does a great job with the roads, but whoever supervises the signage aspects of projects doesn't give a shit about what's getting designed and/or placed out there.

elsmere241

Quote from: Alex on February 12, 2023, 11:50:39 PM

Still there as of Christmas Eve:

The begin shield assembly was part of the sign plans for the Elkton Road reconstruction, so it was legitimately installed unfortunately. I posted some of the plans in a previous post in this thread.

Prior to that work there was only one SR 279 shield remaining per direction. Nice improvement now.

Still there last night, too.

74/171FAN

ixnay

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Alex

DelDOT posted on their Facebook page yesterday (02/17/23) that the project was awarded.

The project page indicates that it was awarded on November 3, 2022.

Quote from: mvak36 on June 18, 2020, 10:15:24 AM
https://delawarebusinessnow.com/2020/06/143-million-i-95-896-interchange-project-gets-57-million-fed-grant-that-moves-up-construction-date-to-fall-2022/

Quote$143 million I-95-896 interchange project gets $57 million fed grant that moves up construction date to fall 2022

Delaware's congressional delegation announced a nearly $57 million grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation to the Delaware Department of Transportation for the construction of a redesigned interchange at I-95 and State Route 896. The new interchange will improve safety and reduce congestion by adding two flyovers, realigning existing ramps, and addressing other deficiencies with the current roadway geometry.

At present, 60 percent of vehicles on I-95 traveling southbound exit at State Route 896, creating congestion and safety issues.

This project will create a dedicated exit ramp for southbound 896 for motorists off of I-95, as well as a dedicated on-ramp from 896 to northbound I-95. The total project cost is $143 million, and with this grant award, construction will now begin in the fall of 2022, two years earlier than expected.

The funding for this project comes from the U.S. DOT's Nationally Significant Freight and Highway Projects Program, or INFRA Grants program.

"As the leading Democrat on the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, one of my top priorities is to improve our nation's transportation systems so that our drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians do not put their lives at risk simply by using our roadways. This major grant of federal funding will go a long way to improve safety and, ultimately, save lives along the I-95 corridor in Delaware. By reducing traffic and easing congestion, this project will greatly reduce fatalities and serious injuries while better facilitating commerce in our state. These safety improvements will spur economic growth and less congestion will enable greater access to the City of Newark, the University of Delaware and its blossoming STAR Campus," Senator Tom Carper said.

"This funding and this project are really about the safety of Delaware commuters, including students who use this interchange almost every day. Any parent who uses this intersection or has kids who frequently drive toandfrom GlasgowHigh School, NewarkHigh School, or other schools farther down 896,knows that improving the safety and capacity of this interchange is long overdue," said Sen. Chris Coons."As a member of the Appropriations Committee, I fought hard to secure this funding, and I'm excited that these long-awaitedimprovementswill soon be underway to help ourgrowing Newark and Middletown communitiesstay safe on the road."

"Improving the safety of the I-95 and 896 interchange has been a priority for our state for a long time now. This INFRA Grant from the Department of Transportation means that we can finally address the safety and capacity issues on 896,"  said Congresswoman Lisa Blunt Rochester. "I want to thank DelDOT for their work in securing the grant and spearheading the project, Senator Carper, who sits on the Environment and Public Works Committee, and Senator Coons, who sits on the Appropriations Committee, for their tireless efforts on behalf of all Delawareans, and the Federal Department of Transportation for recognizing the importance of this project for Delaware."

Additional information can be found on the DelDOT project page.

74/171FAN

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

74/171FAN

jeffandnicole

At present, 60 percent of vehicles on I-95 traveling southbound exit at State Route 896, creating congestion and safety issues.

That seems...high. Maybe during the weekday afternoon rush that is relatively close to being accurate, but certainly not all the time.

elsmere241

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 22, 2023, 04:40:46 PM

That seems...high. Maybe during the weekday afternoon rush that is relatively close to being accurate, but certainly not all the time.

Something about a tollbooth . . .

jmacswimmer

DelDOT's 2021 traffic count shows an AADT of 79,581 south of exit 1, and 117,657 north of exit 1. Which would be closer to 1/3 (which is still a not-insignificant exiting volume).

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: elsmere241 on February 23, 2023, 08:39:34 AM

Something about a tollbooth . . .

But there's also something to be said for driving the area frequently enough to see that 60% of the traffic on a 4 lane highway isn't exiting onto 2, one lane ramps, onto roadways with frequent traffic lights that don't significantly congest.

Using the map above (which jmac jraciously provided), is 32% of the traffic departing the highway at Interchange 1?  Yeah, I can believe that, especially weekdays.  That's when there is significant congestion exiting at Interchange 1.  Many here will take Exit 1B to go up to DE 4 West to avoid the toll.  However the numbers show, and my observations hold this to be true, that most of the traffic is actually using 896 south of 95, exiting at 1A, and a significant number use Old Baltimore Pike to the west of 896. (I pulled up DelDOT's site to see the numbers cut off from the map).

Weekends, a significant number of travelers stay on 95, and of those, most get into the left 2 lanes to use the Express EZ Pass lanes.  This is an issue on its own, because traffic congests to the point approaching the split where on busier days it may be beneficial to stay to the right and go thru the traditional toll lanes.  To say that 10% of the traffic is exiting here may be closer to the truth Saturdays and Sundays (and that may even be overstating it).

Unfortunately, without ramp and turning volumes we don't get a complete picture of where people are actually going, but we can see that while it's a significant number departing 95, it's nowhere close to the 60% claimed in that news release.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

ixnay

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 27, 2023, 08:27:55 AM
(For US 9)  TRAFFIC ALERT - Sussex County - Work begins at Freeman Highway Intersection with Monroe Avenue

Besides the new development that's going in or already existing further east, the intersection is in the vicinity of

- the Lewes Public Library

- the Lewes History Museum (in the building that previously housed the Lewes library, and not to be confused with the Zwaanendael Museum downtown)

- the Lewes to Georgetown rail trail (which afaik currently reaches from the Lewes library to where the old ROW crosses US 9/DE 404 in Harbeson)

and, under development,

- a park celebrating Lewes's railroad history

https://www.facebook.com/ljrba/
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/UcEa4iRX2P47SHc17
What's up with this configuration along the Delaware Memorial Bridge?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on February 28, 2023, 01:30:53 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/UcEa4iRX2P47SHc17
What's up with this configuration along the Delaware Memorial Bridge?
Re-decking project on the other span. Probably similar to how the Chesapeake Bay Bridge works in peak flow periods (except there, there's no barrier).

roadman65

Well it’s the first time in years that those crossovers are being used. It’s a shame the overhead at the NJ side crossover that once told I-295/ US 130 and Route 49 ( on two panels)to keep right is now gone as it would be of handy for that configuration.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on February 28, 2023, 04:11:38 AM
Well it's the first time in years that those crossovers are being used. It's a shame the overhead at the NJ side crossover that once told I-295/ US 130 and Route 49 ( on two panels)to keep right is now gone as it would be of handy for that configuration.

Not in this case. That lane is signed on the Delaware side for the NJ Turnpike only. On the NJ side, pylons keep that lane on the left directing that traffic for the Turnpike.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/G2v78PLsPEtdzQGN6

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.