News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Who has traveled on I-94?

Started by _Demote, July 19, 2016, 02:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

Living only a couple miles from it near Chicago, I've traveled from the junction with I-43 in Milwaukee down to where it splits with the Chicago Skyway. Then pick it back up from where it meets I-80/Tri-state all the way through to Ann Arbor, MI. It's the interstate I've frequented the second most, following I-294.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Flint1979

The only part of I-94 I haven't traveled on is the stretch from the Twin Cities to the western terminus. I've done the Twin Cities to Port Huron.

MN34

7/8

Update, from west to east:

1) From I-90 NW of downtown Chicago to the Loop
2) From I-294 in Chicagoland to M-14 in Ann Arbor, MI
3) From US 23 in Ann Arbor to M-39 in Allen Park, MI
4) From US 12 in Dearborn, MI to the border

I'm now at 94.99% mileage driven on Michigan's I-94

Max Rockatansky

Drove a ton of I-94 on a recent road trip.  Below is the segment from the Indiana Toll Road east to Woodward Avenue in Detroit:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2019/04/interstate-94-from-indiana-toll-road-to.html

Brandon

Update as of last August: I-90 near Billings, Montana to the Saint Clair River.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

inkyatari

Detroit to Minneapolis.. Not all in one go.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

frankenroad

From West to East:

Possibly a little piece in Minneapolis
I-90/94 split at Tomah to I-294 (north end)
I-294 (south end) to I-65 (concurrent with I-80)
US-131 to I-69 (at Marshall)
S State St in Ann Arbor to DTW
I-75 to the Blue Water Bridge
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

thspfc

From Minneapolis to General Mitchell Airport in Milwaukee, and on its concurrency with I-90 through Chicago.

countysigns

From Port Huron, MI to Tomah, WI.

ftballfan

In several segments:
1. From I-494/I-694 (eastern MSP suburbs) to US-12 (Eau Claire, WI)
2. From IL-132 (Six Flags Great America exit) to I-196 (Benton Harbor, MI, Exit 34)
3. From Mattawan, MI (Exit 66) to M-59 (Mt. Clemens, MI, Exit 240)

dlsterner

Just two tiny pieces in Michigan - from the Detroit airport (actually rental car pickup) to I-275, and a brief concurrency with US 31 near Benton Harbor.  Probably about 20 miles combined.

mrose

Minneapolis, MN to Eau Claire, WI
Wisconsin Dells, WI to Madison WI
Johnson Creek, WI to Delafield, WI
Several segments in Milwaukee area
Kenosha, WI to Gurnee, IL
Kennedy Expwy in Chicago
South Chicago IL, to Benton Heights, MI

Super Mateo

Somehow, I've never been on the Edens (I-94 between Northbrook, IL and Chicago's north side).  As for the rest:

Milwaukee, WI; being of the top level of an interchange to stay on I-94 really made vertigo kick in
south of Milwaukee, WI; was forced off the highway due to a road closure the first time, smooth trip the second
Lake County, IL; traffic wasn't too heavy, but the speeding was absolutely ridiculous
Chicago (Kennedy); an overloaded road with too many exits and entrances
Chicago (Ryan); absolute misery every time
Chicago (Ford); still plenty of pain here, especially if I try to go from Stony Island to I-57, but mostly just lots of traffic
IL/IN border area; like driving in a video game.  Trucks in lanes they're not allowed in, people weaving in and out, random backups...
Southeast suburbs (IN); stay in the left lane anywhere west of I-65 if you hope to actually get anywhere
Rest of IN; smooth ride
New Buffalo, MI; last time by, this really needed a repaving

Unfortunately, I-94 is a terrible experience between the north side of Chicago and Lake Station, IN.  The rest has its flaws, but it isn't nearly as bad.

webny99

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 31, 2017, 10:31:46 AM
Currently, I-29 in Fargo, ND all the way to US-14 in Janesville, WI over a few different trips.

I know this is old, but I might note that I-94 doesn't go through Janesville; it splits from I-90 well north of there. I think you meant Madison.  :D

In any case, I also have traveled that segment of I-94 (Fargo to Madison)* as well as (a) the multiplex with I-90 in downtown Chicago, and (b) in Michigan, the segment from the Canadian border at Port Huron to Dearborn.

*I don't think I've clinched the segment between downtown St. Paul and Minneapolis, but I've done everything else between Fargo and Madison - much of it multiple times.

KEVIN_224

No. Never have. I don't drive either. The closest I've been to I-94 is in its center median. I was at the Sox/35th CTA Red Line station in 2009. I wanted to check out the White Sox ballpark nearby. :)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: webny99 on April 27, 2019, 09:29:06 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 31, 2017, 10:31:46 AM
Currently, I-29 in Fargo, ND all the way to US-14 in Janesville, WI over a few different trips.
I know this is old, but I might note that I-94 doesn't go through Janesville; it splits from I-90 well north of there. I think you meant Madison.  :D

You're right, I did mean Madison. For trip that got me out there, I got on I-39/90 in Janesville and just had a brain fart when I posted.

MantyMadTown

I haveā€“from the Twin Cities to Chicago. I may or may not have traveled on the segment of I-94 between I-294 and I-90, I don't remember.
Forget the I-41 haters

Flint1979

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 27, 2019, 09:44:55 PM
No. Never have. I don't drive either. The closest I've been to I-94 is in its center median. I was at the Sox/35th CTA Red Line station in 2009. I wanted to check out the White Sox ballpark nearby. :)
Pretty nice ballpark in a pretty quiet part of the Southside. I love the 35th Street bridge on one side where it says CHICAGO WHITE SOX and the other side saying I.I.T.

ce929wax

Flint1979

Quote from: Super Mateo on April 27, 2019, 08:39:20 PM
Somehow, I've never been on the Edens (I-94 between Northbrook, IL and Chicago's north side).  As for the rest:

Milwaukee, WI; being of the top level of an interchange to stay on I-94 really made vertigo kick in
south of Milwaukee, WI; was forced off the highway due to a road closure the first time, smooth trip the second
Lake County, IL; traffic wasn't too heavy, but the speeding was absolutely ridiculous
Chicago (Ford); still plenty of pain here, especially if I try to go from Stony Island to I-57, but mostly just lots of traffic
IL/IN border area; like driving in a video game.  Trucks in lanes they're not allowed in, people weaving in and out, random backups...
Southeast suburbs (IN); stay in the left lane anywhere west of I-65 if you hope to actually get anywhere
Rest of IN; smooth ride

Unfortunately, I-94 is a terrible experience between the north side of Chicago and Lake Station, IN.  The rest has its flaws, but it isn't nearly as bad.
I think the worst stretch of I-94 is between Benton Harbor and Ann Arbor, two lanes in each direction of nothing but truck traffic on a pothole ridden highway. But the stretch you mentioned is a pretty bad experience too. I honestly think though that I-94 needs to be rebuilt from New Buffalo to Port Huron.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 27, 2019, 11:29:36 PM

Rest of IN; smooth ride

I think the worst stretch of I-94 is between Benton Harbor and Ann Arbor, two lanes in each direction of nothing but truck traffic on a pothole ridden highway. But the stretch you mentioned is a pretty bad experience too. I honestly think though that I-94 needs to be rebuilt from New Buffalo to Port Huron.

Four lanes as it might be the roadway is nowhere near as bad as I remember it (having recently drove it) aside from the disaster that is the stretch in Jackson.

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 28, 2019, 01:02:10 AM

Rest of IN; smooth ride

Four lanes as it might be the roadway is nowhere near as bad as I remember it (having recently drove it) aside from the disaster that is the stretch in Jackson.
I've driven back and forth to Chicago so much I've lost count. It's pretty bad in the Kalamazoo area, the closer you get to Detroit the worse it gets. I-94 is so bad that I've started to go out to US-131 and drop down to I-196 to avoid most of it. I-196 is four lanes too but it doesn't have as much traffic as I-94 does.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 28, 2019, 10:11:48 AM

Rest of IN; smooth ride

I've driven back and forth to Chicago so much I've lost count. It's pretty bad in the Kalamazoo area, the closer you get to Detroit the worse it gets. I-94 is so bad that I've started to go out to US-131 and drop down to I-196 to avoid most of it. I-196 is four lanes too but it doesn't have as much traffic as I-94 does.

I had the benefit of using I-69 to avoid much of it when I lived in Lansing heading towards Chicago.  No doubt the traffic count warrants six lanes but what surprised me is the road condition aside from Jackson was no where near as bad as I remember it.  Granted it has been two decades since I regularly drove that stretch but the Jackson portion seemed to be what used to be much more the norm. 

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 28, 2019, 10:50:20 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on April 28, 2019, 10:11:48 AM

Rest of IN; smooth ride

I had the benefit of using I-69 to avoid much of it when I lived in Lansing heading towards Chicago.  No doubt the traffic count warrants six lanes but what surprised me is the road condition aside from Jackson was no where near as bad as I remember it.  Granted it has been two decades since I regularly drove that stretch but the Jackson portion seemed to be what used to be much more the norm.
Lansing is my quarter way mark to Chicago with Kalamazoo being the halfway mark so I've used I-69 between Lansing and Marshall lots of times that's how I get to I-94 going out that direction usually. It was always fine until I got to I-94, the stretch of I-69 between Lansing and Marshall but once you get on I-94 it's nothing but major truck traffic and I remember potholes being in the road in areas.

The way I look at it is like this, I-94 between Chicago and Detroit is a major truck route with a lot more traffic going in between both cities. I suppose you could take US-12 which of course would take a lot more time or drop down to I-80/90 which is a lot nicer than I-94.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.