News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Most congested ramp

Started by webny99, August 29, 2017, 09:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: jakeroot on August 31, 2017, 07:28:52 PM
In Seattle's South Sound region, there's a couple that seem to jockey for first place:

- Hwy 518 EB towards I-5 SB -- there's a ramp meter so the traffic backs up pretty far
- 405 SB towards Hwy 167 SB -- congested loop ramp. It can be slow even at 3 AM
- 705 SB towards I-5 SB -- the now-single-lane ramp (former dual-lane ramp) creates jams as far back as the start of the interstate.

I'd need another Seattleite to confirm these, since none seem to be worse than the others. Luckily, the second and third ramps are due for some remodelling, so they should get better soon.

I can definitely attest to the fact that 518 EB to 5 SB has been congested for decades now; have friends in West Seattle and used to visit about every other week when I was living in Portland ('93-'97), and that ramp was often backed up to the SeaTac interchange on 518 -- even during off-peak hours -- and well before metering!  Much of the problem seemed to originate with local "bobtail" delivery trucks encountering the SB grade on I-5 beginning a bit before the end of the ramp -- the trucks would be back in 1st or 2nd gear by the time they hit I-5 itself, slowing whatever was strung out behind them! 

That issue notwithstanding -- I can't believe that SB 405 to SB 5 remains a tight loop as it was 35+ years ago when I first used that interchange.     

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on August 29, 2017, 10:11:57 PM
For Albany I'll say the "ramp" from I-87 south to I-90 west (actually the I-87 mainline).  Only one lane at the start (the option lane was removed in order to slow trucks down, since they were tipping over on the curve), and it ends with a very tight curve because the toll booths are just after it.

Generally, I agree with that, but the ramps from I-90 WB to I-787 NB, I-787 NB to NY 7 WB and NY 7 WB to I-87 NB are definitely honorable mentions. The last one backs up onto the NY 7 mainline for at least a mile daily.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Bickendan

Hmm... Portland...
I-5 north to I-84.

jakeroot

Quote from: sparker on August 31, 2017, 08:00:42 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 31, 2017, 07:28:52 PM
In Seattle's South Sound region, there's a couple that seem to jockey for first place:

- Hwy 518 EB towards I-5 SB -- there's a ramp meter so the traffic backs up pretty far
- 405 SB towards Hwy 167 SB -- congested loop ramp. It can be slow even at 3 AM
- 705 SB towards I-5 SB -- the now-single-lane ramp (former dual-lane ramp) creates jams as far back as the start of the interstate.

I'd need another Seattleite to confirm these, since none seem to be worse than the others. Luckily, the second and third ramps are due for some remodelling, so they should get better soon.

I can definitely attest to the fact that 518 EB to 5 SB has been congested for decades now; have friends in West Seattle and used to visit about every other week when I was living in Portland ('93-'97), and that ramp was often backed up to the SeaTac interchange on 518 -- even during off-peak hours -- and well before metering!  Much of the problem seemed to originate with local "bobtail" delivery trucks encountering the SB grade on I-5 beginning a bit before the end of the ramp -- the trucks would be back in 1st or 2nd gear by the time they hit I-5 itself, slowing whatever was strung out behind them!

I suppose if the ramp meter improved anything, it was that truck issue (one I never experienced). Although they probably wouldn't use the meter if it didn't improve traffic on the 5 (which can be hideous from just past the merge from the 518, particularly after the exit for Orillia Road).

From Historic Aerials, it appears the meter was installed around 97-98. Definitely one of Seattle's older meters (although quite a lot were installed around that time, IIRC).

Quote from: sparker on August 31, 2017, 08:00:42 PM
That issue notwithstanding -- I can't believe that SB 405 to SB 5 remains a tight loop as it was 35+ years ago when I first used that interchange.     

That movement could be on my list as well; truthfully, I forgot about it. The easiest way to improve that movement would be to (of course) eliminate the loop. Have all traffic going towards the 5 exit at the first ramp (the one going towards 5 NB). Elevate the ramp slightly, and construct a large flyover that would go under the 518 WB overpass, but over the 518 EB underpass. A bit hard to explain through words.

hm insulators

I-10 west of the I-605 in the San Gabriel Valley. The ramps there (what I call "scrunched cloverleafs") may have been state-of-the-art when they were built in the early '50s (that's "may have been"), but today, they just completely gum up the traffic on the mainline.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Buffaboy

What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

bing101

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4123/4931476468_fd4dd70dbe_b.jpg

I say the Forth Street Ramp in San Francisco is the most clogged because its the Last San Francisco Exit prior to the Bay Bridge.

In the Sacramento Area its the US-50 @ CA-99 interchange that gets clogged.

mrsman

Quote from: hm insulators on September 21, 2017, 03:31:37 PM
I-10 west of the I-605 in the San Gabriel Valley. The ramps there (what I call "scrunched cloverleafs") may have been state-of-the-art when they were built in the early '50s (that's "may have been"), but today, they just completely gum up the traffic on the mainline.

So true.  It's a surprise that they never updated these.  There are many cloverleafs in Cal that were converted to parclos because of weaving issues, but they never bothered with this corridor.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 29, 2017, 10:57:18 PM2.  Mass Pike Exit 9 westbound.  Might get better over time with the removal of the toll barrier, but it's still a bottleneck.
Even with the tollbooths gone & the area restriped with continuous lanes; I-84 eastbound approaching that Pike interchange still backs up for miles.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 03, 2018, 02:14:35 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 29, 2017, 10:57:18 PM2.  Mass Pike Exit 9 westbound.  Might get better over time with the removal of the toll barrier, but it's still a bottleneck.
Even with the tollbooths gone & the area restriped with continuous lanes; I-84 eastbound approaching that Pike interchange still backs up for miles.

Certainly. The problems are the weave between US 20 and I-90 and the merge onto I-90, not the booths themselves. You have 3 lanes of I-84 merging into 2 for the ramp, then the right lane ends 3/4 mile later. The auxiliary lane should continue to the Charlton service area instead of the police barracks. Or even better: 4 lane the damn thing between I-84 and I-290/395, because that's where a decent amount of EB traffic exits. In the meantime, traffic from US 20 to the WB Pike needs to cut across every lane of I-84. It's a mess far larger than the tollbooths.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

webny99

As I have mentioned in other threads, I 490 West to NY 590 North gets this title for the Rochester area.
I can also confirm the thruway Exit 51 near Buffalo.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Bickendan on September 01, 2017, 03:35:22 AM
Hmm... Portland...
I-5 north to I-84.
That or I-405 to US 26 or vice versa.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

PHLBOS

Quote from: cl94 on January 03, 2018, 02:30:41 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 03, 2018, 02:14:35 PM

Certainly. The problems are the weave between US 20 and I-90 and the merge onto I-90, not the booths themselves. You have 3 lanes of I-84 merging into 2 for the ramp, then the right lane ends 3/4 mile later. The auxiliary lane should continue to the Charlton service area instead of the police barracks. Or even better: 4 lane the damn thing between I-84 and I-290/395, because that's where a decent amount of EB traffic exits. In the meantime, traffic from US 20 to the WB Pike needs to cut across every lane of I-84. It's a mess far larger than the tollbooths.
As one who has relatives that have lived in Sturbridge for at least 20 years; most motorists using those on-ramps from US 20 to I-84 eastbound are usually getting on I-90 eastbound.  Those (i.e. the locals) along US 20 seeking to get on I-90 westbound will usually use US 20 West into Palmer (& take MA 32 North) and then get on I-90 there.  Outside of three flea market festivals a year; that stretch of US 20 isn't too bad trafficwise.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Flint1979

The Circle Interchange in downtown Chicago. This is the interchange where the Ike, Kennedy and Dan Ryan all come together.

Interstate 69 Fan

69 between 465 and SR 37 in Fishers, Indiana is crazy. The 69 SB to 465 SB ramp is crazy, too - Good thing I don't live on the northeast side!
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

formulanone

I’m sure there’s worse, but the flyover ramp from Florida’s Turnpike Extension to I-75 North gets maddeningly backed up in the evening rush hour. It’s finally getting a complete set of movements, but hopefully the mid-ramp lane drop and immediate merge with 75 will be taken care of.

Ironically, the merge with I-75 North at the northern mainline Turnpike terminus is equally frustrating, but I don’t really consider them ramps, as the road (ideally) just flows into the Interstate. Weekends and holiday weeks are where the design fails to impress.

Flint1979

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on January 04, 2018, 02:12:48 PM
69 between 465 and SR 37 in Fishers, Indiana is crazy. The 69 SB to 465 SB ramp is crazy, too - Good thing I don't live on the northeast side!
I have often bypassed that by taking SR 9 in between I-69 and I-70 and then I-70 to Indy or vice versa and it's worked out plenty of times. I found that way out by being rerouted due to traffic by my GPS.

RobbieL2415

There's that one ramp off I-95 N in the Pelhams, Bronx, NY, that causes delays every rush hour.  Then once you get past it traffic opens up.

Tarkus

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 04, 2018, 01:19:10 AM
Hmm... Portland...
I-5 north to I-84.

Yup.  Those ramps are total turds.  I'd probably rank US-26 EB onto 405 as the worst of the bunch, from ample personal experience.  That whole bit where I-84 WB does that "turn off to stay on" bit with I-205 is also a hot mess.

Bickendan

Quote from: Tarkus on January 04, 2018, 10:25:01 PM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 04, 2018, 01:19:10 AM
Hmm... Portland...
I-5 north to I-84.

Yup.  Those ramps are total turds.  I'd probably rank US-26 EB onto 405 as the worst of the bunch, from ample personal experience.  That whole bit where I-84 WB does that "turn off to stay on" bit with I-205 is also a hot mess.
At least I-84 WB at I-205 has an excuse.
US 26 through the western end of the Ross Island Maze... not so much.

andrepoiy

All ramps on highways that lead to and away from the 401.

Always congested during rush hour.

Bruce

In Seattle proper:

Mercer Street and Stewart Street during the AM commute can muck up the I-5 express lanes all the way to the Ship Canal Bridge, since they are the only non-HOV ramps to downtown. Generally a bad time all around.

Finrod

Quote from: Eth on August 30, 2017, 09:49:49 PM
I nominate I-285 east to I-85 north at Spaghetti Junction. Passing through there on I-285, I know that if I'm not in the far left lane, I'm gonna have a bad time.

I'd vote for the I-285 East to Georgia 400 North ramp: one lane from 285 that splits into a lane for 400 North and 400 South, except the 400 North ramp has to do an immediate left merge:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9104566,-84.3569606,283m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9098158,-84.3574005,3a,75y,65.26h,78.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szlxE-lW1253ye_d43WMXYA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9107051,-84.3567622,3a,75y,65.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4jtAvUAvHhfh6akR7SAu9Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

ftballfan

WB I-94 to Rawsonville Rd. 95% of traffic using that ramp wants to go southbound on Rawsonville, causing long backups at times when the light is red: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2199017,-83.5446823,16.96z?hl=en

It doesn't help that there is a strip mall (with one of the last Kmarts left) and several fast food joints on Rawsonville south of 94

Mark68

In Denver, I-225 ramps to I-25, Santa Fe Dr (US 85) northbound to I-25 N (new flyover that is more like a crawlover), Colfax (BL I-70/US 40/287) to northbound I-25 in the evening rush hour.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.