News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Business 85 removal / New US 70 routing thru Greensboro

Started by ushighway421, January 05, 2020, 06:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ushighway421

https://hpenews.com/news/8803/state-to-remove-business-85-signs/

has NCDOT indicated a beginning date or released any signage /exit number plans for the sign changes they will make to the US 29 freeway south of greensboro to thomasvile (soon to be "former" business 85)

and to wendover avenue (will the freeway section of wendover , between battleground and spring garden, gain exit numbers once it becomes the new us-70)?

or are they saving this for after i-840 is finished?

bob7374

Quote from: ushighway421 on January 05, 2020, 06:38:10 PM
https://hpenews.com/news/8803/state-to-remove-business-85-signs/

has NCDOT indicated a beginning date or released any signage /exit number plans for the sign changes they will make to the US 29 freeway south of greensboro to thomasvile (soon to be "former" business 85)

and to wendover avenue (will the freeway section of wendover , between battleground and spring garden, gain exit numbers once it becomes the new us-70)?

or are they saving this for after i-840 is finished?
Sign plans showing the removal of Business 85 signs from I-40 through Greensboro were included among the plans for the last segment of I-840 from Lawndale Drive to US 29, suggesting that they are waiting until I-840 is completed and signed along the entire length of the Greensboro Loop before work to remove the Business 85 shields will start. Those plans did not include the segment of Business 85 along US 29/70, and there are no contract listings regarding that section, so timing for that section is unknown.

Roadsguy

Huh, I didn't realize that ALL of Business 85 would be decommissioned.

*looks nervously at Business 95*
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

The Ghostbuster

I think the portion of the "original" Business 85 (between mainline 85's Exits 87 and 118) should have had its exits numbered like the former Interstate 85 (and now former Business 85) alignment between the Painter Boulevard Freeway and the "Death Valley" interchange's exits numbers are. Even though the original Business 85 is not completely freeway from end-to-end, i think the exits should have had numbers. Or does North Carolina only number exits on freeways and tollways?

tjcreasy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 07, 2020, 03:46:24 PM
I think the portion of the "original" Business 85 (between mainline 85's Exits 87 and 118) should have had its exits numbered like the former Interstate 85 (and now former Business 85) alignment between the Painter Boulevard Freeway and the "Death Valley" interchange's exits numbers are. Even though the original Business 85 is not completely freeway from end-to-end, i think the exits should have had numbers. Or does North Carolina only number exits on freeways and tollways?

NC does selectively number exits on non-freeway sections of US designated routes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.