Guess the speed limit challenge

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 09, 2021, 10:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: doorknob60 on September 22, 2021, 01:48:09 PM
It's feasible someone might recognize this location and work it out, but here it is, it's MPH.

Knew it right away. That raised concrete median is kind of a specialty there :D

doorknob60

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on September 22, 2021, 01:53:42 PM
It's feasible someone might recognize this location and work it out, but here it is, it's MPH.
[img]

Knew it right away. That raised concrete median is kind of a specialty there

Well if you recognize the location, what's the limit? :D

Or if you're going to leave it for someone else to guess, I'll try 40 mph.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on September 22, 2021, 02:36:55 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 22, 2021, 01:53:42 PM
[img]

Knew it right away. That raised concrete median is kind of a specialty there

Well if you recognize the location, what's the limit? :D

Or if you're going to leave it for someone else to guess, I'll try 40 mph.

It's 30 mph.

N Division St, Spokane, WA.

I thought doorknob's last contribution was the Bend, OR example, which I knew immediately. So rather than steal his thunder again, I decided against revealing it. But after looking through the thread, I realize that wasn't actually his last contribution, so I'm less concerned.

doorknob60

Yep you're right of course. Interesting thing about this, is shortly to the north is a 35 zone, and then shortly after that it's 45. Without too much change in the design of the road, amount of driveways and businesses, etc. Though by that point it is out of the main street grid of Spokane so that could have something to do with it.

If it was up to me it would be 35 due to all the driveways and side streets, though flow of traffic is often probably closer to 40. If access was more limited, 40 or 45 would be fine. Maybe a slight road diet could be in order once the North Spokane Corridor fully opens and make 30 feel more reasonable and make it a more pedestrian and bike friendly street (as it is now without a bypass, car traffic needs to be the priority). I don't visit Spokane often enough to know what traffic patterns might look like after that point though.

webny99

Quote from: doorknob60 on September 22, 2021, 02:55:54 PM
If it was up to me it would be 35 due to all the driveways and side streets, though flow of traffic is often probably closer to 40. If access was more limited, 40 or 45 would be fine. Maybe a slight road diet could be in order once the North Spokane Corridor fully opens and make 30 feel more reasonable and make it a more pedestrian and bike friendly street (as it is now without a bypass, car traffic needs to be the priority). I don't visit Spokane often enough to know what traffic patterns might look like after that point though.

It looks pretty busy even in your image, or I actually might suggest a road diet. That's not something I advocate very often, but considering there's no shoulders and the sidewalk is abutting the travel lane, the speed limit probably could be raised to 45 mph if there were proper shoulders and only two lanes per direction.

Quote from: jakeroot on September 22, 2021, 02:45:17 PM
It's 30 mph.

N Division St, Spokane, WA.

I thought doorknob's last contribution was the Bend, OR example, which I knew immediately. So rather than steal his thunder again, I decided against revealing it. But after looking through the thread, I realize that wasn't actually his last contribution, so I'm less concerned.

Nice! Not crazy, but definitely a bit lower than I was expecting. Remember to post the next one to guess if you'd like.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on September 23, 2021, 10:39:06 AM
Quote from: doorknob60 on September 22, 2021, 02:55:54 PM

It looks pretty busy even in your image, or I actually might suggest a road diet. That's not something I advocate very often, but considering there's no shoulders and the sidewalk is abutting the travel lane, the speed limit probably could be raised to 45 mph if there were proper shoulders and only two lanes per direction.

I think a road diet could actually be in the cards, but only once the US-395 Freeway bypass around Spokane is complete. Until then, N Division (both US-2 and US-395) are routed down it, so it carries perhaps more traffic than Spokane wishes were the case. After all is said and done, I think a proper diet (maybe some bus lanes?) would be pretty neat, and pretty deserved.

I will post my picture right away!

jakeroot

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jlam

jakeroot

Quote from: jlam on September 23, 2021, 04:33:49 PM

This makes more sense, but actually...

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 23, 2021, 04:32:57 PM

Well done, it is 40 (Canyon Road, Frederickson, WA). It is posted as 45 behind this image, but is 40 through the next two signals and then goes back to 45. Either way, traffic goes 55+ easily. Kind of surprised at the guess of 40, as nothing about this road reads "40" at least to me.

webny99

40 does seem low, but then again I also tend to associate more lanes with a lower limit. I certainly don't see any reason to lower it from 45 mph for this particular segment though.

The lane dividers instead of traditional striping is also interesting, to me that would suggest a higher limit, not a lower one.

Roadgeekteen

Strange angle to hide road signs

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

sprjus4

How are you supposed to be able to guess the limit when you can barely see the roadway in question?

Roadgeekteen

Better pic, although it is backwards

jakeroot

You could just color over the road sign with an editing app.

45?

Roadgeekteen

jlam

Roadgeekteen

doorknob60

webny99

I'll take 60 in case it's not 50 :)

Roadgeekteen

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

webny99

Quote from: plain on September 24, 2021, 12:39:54 PM

If that qualifies as close to 55, pretty much any limit could qualify as close to 55.

jlam

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.