News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Parking Garages

Started by jeffandnicole, February 21, 2017, 10:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When you park in a parking garage, where do you park?

First spot available
12 (29.3%)
As close to the elevator as possible
15 (36.6%)
As close to the stairwell as possible
6 (14.6%)
Loop around to the downramp looking for a spot
7 (17.1%)
Other
11 (26.8%)

Total Members Voted: 41

kphoger

Quote from: DaBigE on February 21, 2017, 03:21:50 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on February 21, 2017, 02:48:30 PM
A garage is where you take your car to be repaired.

Or is that the "fillin station"?

Quotega·rage   /ɡəˈräZH,ɡəˈräj/
noun: garage; plural noun: garages
1. a building or shed for housing a motor vehicle or vehicles.

You get your car repaired at a repair shop or a service center. While you can repair your car in the garage, a garage is primarily for storage, IMO.

My mechanic houses my motor vehicle in the service center building (sometimes overnight) while working on it.  This makes it a garage.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on February 21, 2017, 03:49:33 PM
My mechanic houses my motor vehicle in the service center building (sometimes overnight) while working on it.  This makes it a garage.

Anything that can house a motor vehicle for any period of time is a "garage". Places that serve more than just that purpose, however, are usually referred to by a more specific name, such as a service center.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 21, 2017, 03:43:24 PM
What about "Parking Deck" instead of "garage?"   I've heard that one fairly regularly over the years.

Might be a Southwest thing. I've literally never heard that term. Also, never heard the term "ramp" to describe anything other than an incline between two levels.

Max Rockatansky

^^^^

Actually I think the "deck" term was mostly a southeast thing.  Seemed like it was common slang in Florida, Georiga, and the Carolinas.  I've lived so many places I forget what came from where sometimes.

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 21, 2017, 04:06:28 PM
Actually I think the "deck" term was mostly a southeast thing.  Seemed like it was common slang in Florida, Georiga, and the Carolinas.  I've lived so many places I forget what came from where sometimes.

I was assuming southwest because that's where you live (AFAIK). You said you've heard the term fairly regularly.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on February 21, 2017, 04:11:57 PM

I was assuming southwest because that's where you live (AFAIK). You said you've heard the term fairly regularly.

Yeah that's true but when I ran it through Yahoo most of the articles or pages with the term were in the Southeast.  I was in Florida for a long time and still visit regularly, I guess living there rubbed off.  I still catch myself saying "y'all" from working in Texas for a couple years even...weird how that happens.

Incidentally what the hell ever happened to California Slang?  I never have once heard someone say "gromet" or "hella" in three stints living/working here. 

frankenroad

Back to the original question....

It depends on how crowded the garage is.   If it seems to be at or near capacity, I take the first available spot.   If it seems more open, I'll look for a space that does not have another space next to it, and/or one near the steps/elevator.

2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

formulanone

The Oxford dictionary has an entry for garage has a service station which performs repairs, probably because covered locations were best for repairs. I think it's just old-fashioned usage...the earliest repair shops for automobiles were usually just gas stations. Dealerships didn't always sell used cars (at first), the garages and petrol stations did it, because there was limited profitability. 

Garage and "Deck" I've encountered - but to me, "Ramp" just sounds like the incline from one level to another. I'm in British Columbia this week, and they call the multi-level parking facility a "parking garage", so "parkade" must be regional.

I try to avoid the spot right next to an incline or backs right  into it. And I'll back into my spot whenever possible, since visibility is terrible, the passages are usually narrow, awareness is limited in unfamiliar places for most drivers.

I was driving a decently-tall rental is SUV into MSP's garage, and this gave me a good scare!

texaskdog

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 21, 2017, 04:18:43 PM

Yeah that's true but when I ran it through Yahoo most of the articles or pages with the term were in the Southeast.  I was in Florida for a long time and still visit regularly, I guess living there rubbed off.  I still catch myself saying "y'all" from working in Texas for a couple years even...weird how that happens.

Incidentally what the hell ever happened to California Slang?  I never have once heard someone say "gromet" or "hella" in three stints living/working here. 

Or "wicked" :P

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: texaskdog on February 21, 2017, 04:31:45 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 21, 2017, 04:18:43 PM

See I always thought that was more 80s/early 90s slang akin to something like "rad" or anything the Ninja Turles said in the cartoons.

coatimundi

I'm just going to start calling them "parking service centers" and see if it catches on.
Though they're not as common in the US, it would be nice to have a different term for a garage that features the parking-vators.

Quote from: formulanone on February 21, 2017, 04:27:02 PM
I was driving a decently-tall rental is SUV into MSP's garage, and this gave me a good scare!

I didn't see the "MSP" right away and was trying to guess the airport because I knew I had been there before.
IAH & PHX have similar deals. Better to catch the height failure on something that has some give and in a place where you can more easily back up and get around it. I saw a lifted truck hit one of those one time, and the staff all ran out to chase him before he got too far into the garage.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 21, 2017, 04:34:22 PM

See I always thought that was more 80s/early 90s slang akin to something like "rad" or anything the Ninja Turles said in the cartoons.

Isn't "wicked" New England slang?

jakeroot

I'm in British Columbia this week, and they call the multi-level parking facility a "parking garage", so "parkade" must be regional.

With whom are you speaking? While "parkade" is far from universal, I hear it fairly often in BC. I generally hear "parking garage" when at hotels. Locals speaking in relaxed conversation seem to prefer "parkade".

Truvelo

All this regional terminology got me going.

Over here we would call a parking garage a multistorey. The word garage is used only to describe a gas station, a workshop that repairs cars or a part of the house to park your car. We never use the word to describe a parking lot. In fact parking lot isn't used here either. We would call it a car park although everyone over here would understand what a parking lot is.
Speed limits limit life

kphoger

Quote from: coatimundi on February 21, 2017, 04:41:48 PM

I didn't see the "MSP" right away and was trying to guess the airport because I knew I had been there before.
IAH & PHX have similar deals. Better to catch the height failure on something that has some give and in a place where you can more easily back up and get around it. I saw a lifted truck hit one of those one time, and the staff all ran out to chase him before he got too far into the garage.

We drive a Nissan Pathfinder and, with five in our family, long trips now usually involve a rooftop cargo box. Parking garages are therefore a no-go when we're far from home.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: briantroutman on February 21, 2017, 01:00:27 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 21, 2017, 12:16:03 PM
First priority is that I try to avoid any space that requires me to leave my key.

At one San Francisco garage where I had to leave my key–not because it was valet situation, but because the garage was one of those labyrinths that the management trusts only employees to navigate–I got my car back enveloped in the distinct aroma of burning clutch.

Heh. The clutch is one reason I dislike having to leave my key because the bite point on mine is a little vague until you're used to it and I don't want some valet causing the car to slam into something because he has trouble with it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 21, 2017, 09:03:00 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on February 21, 2017, 01:00:27 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 21, 2017, 12:16:03 PM
First priority is that I try to avoid any space that requires me to leave my key.

At one San Francisco garage where I had to leave my key–not because it was valet situation, but because the garage was one of those labyrinths that the management trusts only employees to navigate–I got my car back enveloped in the distinct aroma of burning clutch.

Heh. The clutch is one reason I dislike having to leave my key because the bite point on mine is a little vague until you're used to it and I don't want some valet causing the car to slam into something because he has trouble with it.

Having a clutch pedal is a pretty good deterrent from anyone else from driving your car.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 21, 2017, 09:03:00 PM
The clutch is one reason I dislike having to leave my key because the bite point on mine is a little vague until you're used to it and I don't want some valet causing the car to slam into something because he has trouble with it.

Trust me, we've seen something like it before. I've driven everything from an '88 Land Cruiser from Australia, to R34s from Canada, to brand new A4s. There's no clutch that a good valet can't handle (no stage has thus far defeated me, though a bio-fuel powered Lancer which needed lots of throttle pumping really pissed me off a while ago). There are definitely some incompetent valets out there; I don't have any experience with those (all ten valets on our team drive stick without a problem). To see if they could handle your car, you could always quiz the valet upon arrival ("which stage is harder to drive: 1 or 3?" "what's the correct shut-off procedure for a Saab with a manual"? "what's the easiest way to get a manual BMW into reverse"?).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: coatimundi on February 21, 2017, 04:41:48 PM

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 21, 2017, 04:34:22 PM

Isn't "wicked" New England slang?

I seem to recall people in Boston saying "wicked pisser" a lot....sans the "R" making it sounds like "piss-ah."   Incidentally ask someone with a heavy Boston accent to say "park the car in the garage," the results are fairly amusing.  :)

jeffandnicole

I generally don't mind handing my vehicle over to a valet, although I generally try to plan it in advance (ie: clean car, valet key in ignition, etc).  The Cherry Hill Mall here has valet outside a strip of restaurants we tend to visit.  Since parking is a bit skimpy in the area and the valet is free, I don't mind turning over the car there.  The mall has a newer (free) parking garage as well...unfortunately these restaurants can't be accessed from within the mall, despite being attached to the mall.

For the parking garage I park in at work, the lanes are 2-way, with perpendicular parking spots.  But it also has a unique design: Of the 5 levels, levels 1, 3 & 5 can only be accessed by one particular entrance/exit, and levels 2 & 4 can only be accessed by another particular entrance/exit.  Honestly, it's a pain, especially if you happen to be on a side where the exit is backed up for whatever reason.  It's an employee only garage, where we're supposed to keep our key cards with us to enter/exit the pedestrian doorway to the elevator/stairs.  However, they have a convenient, not-really-secret entryway which can easily be accessed without a key card.  This alternative entrance works well as the wonderful department in charge of the key cards refuses to put both the parking garage access and building access on the same key card, despite it being the same design/model/etc.  And when the two are near each other (say, in a wallet), they cancel each other out and the system will refuse to unlock the doors.  Thus, the garage key card stays within the car.

BTW...anyone sleep in a parking garage (in your vehicle, hopefully)?  I've done it a few times...weekend nights, in Atlantic City, when we're there late and hotel rooms are way too expensive.  I usually plan this out in advance as well, just in case.  I'll park in a spot that's not too well lit and a bit hidden, (which is generally against the regular advice about finding a spot to park), although the garage is usually fairly filled anyway.  With our Honda Pilot, we can even put an air mattress in the back.  More comfortable than trying to sleep in the drivers/passenger seat...which we've seen others do as well in those garages.  Due to it being AC and the alcohol-fueled atmosphere there, security is much more lenient about people sleeping in their vehicles there than, say, if someone where to find you sleeping in a car in a shopping center parking lot.

hm insulators

Quote from: Truvelo on February 21, 2017, 10:45:57 AM
I always try to find a spot at the far end furthest away from the entrance to avoid anyone parking alongside and denting my car. This applies to all parking lots. I find it's laziness which causes cars to cluster nearest the store, elevator, stairs. No one wants to spend an additional 30 seconds walking to where they want to go.

I do pretty much the same, not so much because people might dent the car (it's 20 years old, after all) but because it's easier to find parking and I get a little bit of extra exercise walking the longer distance. And I get into the store and start my shopping while other people are going around and around the parking lot just waiting for one space closer to the door to open because God forbid they have to walk an extra 10 feet.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

sparker

Where do I prefer parking in a structure/garage?  If possible, anywhere but up on the roof/top level!  Around here, that seems to be where smokers congregate on their breaks and lunch periods.  Besides, every bird within 50 miles seems to use these structures for target practice! :-(

1995hoo

We stopped at the grocery store on the way home last night and it made me think of this thread. I don't really want to start a new thread since the topic is similar. I found myself wondering what thought processes go into your space selection at a place like that as opposed to in a parking garage (assuming for present purposes the grocery store doesn't have a garage....I know of at least two that do).

When I go to the grocery store, my parking theory is motivated mainly by trying to avoid spaces where people are likely to leave stray carts, either because they're too lazy to return them to the corral or because the store doesn't have a corral at all (the two nearest our house do not have them, so I avoid shopping there). This usually means avoiding the ends of the rows or any row facing an island or curb, as some people park the carts with two wheels hooked over the curb. Counter-intuitively, I'm often more likely to park in the space next to the return corrals because I find even the most obnoxious cart-non-returners tend not to leave carts adjacent to the corrals.

jeffandnicole

I do try to get a closer spot, but I won't wait for someone to put their entire load of groceries in the car.  If I'm coming down an aisle, I'll scan the aisle to see what's available.  Sunny days are good for this - shadows of vehicles on the pavement make for easier spotting of spots available.  Sometimes, parking further down the strip (parallel to the building) is actually closer than parking down an aisle (away from the building). In the case like Walmart which has two sets of doorways, I'll frequently go down the aisle between the doors.  Generally no handicap spots in that area; I get a close spot, and no matter which door I use I'm fairly close to either of them.

I had a friend claim he never parks next to those cart corrals, because people just throw their cart at the corral and could care less where it goes.  I've never actually see that happen.  As far as I'm concerned, at least no one will swing open their car door and hit my car on the side of the corral (I witnessed that once to my car...a kid flung the door open hitting my car.  Lovely mama didn't notice and/or care...and really, what was I going to do...call the police for a door ding?).

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 23, 2017, 07:34:31 AM
We stopped at the grocery store on the way home last night and it made me think of this thread. I don't really want to start a new thread since the topic is similar. I found myself wondering what thought processes go into your space selection at a place like that as opposed to in a parking garage (assuming for present purposes the grocery store doesn't have a garage....I know of at least two that do).

When I go to the grocery store, my parking theory is motivated mainly by trying to avoid spaces where people are likely to leave stray carts, either because they're too lazy to return them to the corral or because the store doesn't have a corral at all (the two nearest our house do not have them, so I avoid shopping there). This usually means avoiding the ends of the rows or any row facing an island or curb, as some people park the carts with two wheels hooked over the curb. Counter-intuitively, I'm often more likely to park in the space next to the return corrals because I find even the most obnoxious cart-non-returners tend not to leave carts adjacent to the corrals.

My objectives are basically the opposite of yours.  With a family of five, I try my hardest to park against an island so that the kids can walk along the island instead of with traffic.  I also try to park near a cart corral so I don't have to leave everyone waiting for me longer than they have to–especially when the weather is hot or cold.

My first job was pushing shopping carts.  So I still do my best to straighten up the corral every time I return my own cart to it.  The worst thing to happen to the corrals, IMO, was the introduction of small carts that are too small for the bigger ones to nest with.  There's only so much you can do to fix that nightmare if they're all jumbled.
Male pronouns, please.

frankenroad

At the grocery store, I usually try to park next to the corral.  One, you don't have a door-dinger parked next to you, and, two, I always like to take a cart from the corral into the store with me because they often are out of the smaller carts inside the store, and I almost never buy enough groceries for a full-size cart.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

1995hoo

QuoteThe worst thing to happen to the corrals, IMO, was the introduction of small carts that are too small for the bigger ones to nest with.  There's only so much you can do to fix that nightmare if they're all jumbled.

The Wegmans near us has that problem and they put up signs in the corrals saying, basically, small carts on the left, large carts on the right (they have arrows so people don't have to know left from right). Doesn't help. People are just plain lazy. Of course, those annoying kiddie play carts with the plastic cabin and steering wheel don't help either since they don't fit with either of the normal styles.

I seem to recall when I was a kid Magruder's in Vienna had full-length two-level carts where the top basket folded down. But I don't think they allowed them into the parking area since no local stores allowed that back then as far as I can recall.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.