News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluecountry

Why is the Van Wick ALWAYS a mess?

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: bluecountry on April 10, 2022, 11:28:17 PM

I'm guessing because it's due to JFK traffic and because it's one of the relatively few highways in NYC allowing trucks.

cockroachking

Name a freeway in NYC that isn't.

empirestate

cockroachking

Alps

because I-295 was never completed south

The Ghostbuster

As the Interstate 295 in New York page on the nycroads.com website states [http://www.nycroads.com/roads/clearview/]: "From both political and geological standpoints, any southward extension of the Clearview Expressway would be difficult to construct." A little later, the only possible way to extend the Clearview southward would be as follows: "any depressed or cut-and-cover expressway proposal would still require widespread condemnation. A deep-bored tunnel would be a solution, albeit an expensive one." The "Interstate 295 in New York" Wikipedia has said that "there have been proposals during the 21st century to extend the Clearview south to feed into the JFK Expressway via a tunnel." Although there are two footnotes included, I don't know how accurate it is that such proposals have been contemplated. I do know that the odds of a Clearview Expressway Tunnel being constructed are nil. Face it, if New York couldn't replace the elevated Interstate 278 Gowanus Expressway with a tunnel, nor connect Interstate 287 with the NY 135 Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway with a tunnel, then an Interstate 295 Clearview Expressway tunnel has no chance of coming into fruition. I doubt even an Interstate 278 bypass tunnel to replace the existing Brooklyn-Queens Expressway through Brooklyn Heights will ever be constructed.

SignBridge

I pretty much agree. The Clearview Expwy is not likely to be extended, but if it was, it would not be a tunnel which would be way too expensive.

And my whole life I've been wishing for the Cross Sound Bridge (not a tunnel) from Rye to Oyster Bay, but as I am now a senior citizen, I'm sure it will not happen in my lifetime if ever at all.

The most likely candidate for such a large scale tunnel or other type project is the Gowanus Expwy which will absolutely have to be replaced in some form, sooner not later no matter what the cost.

MATraveler128

Quote from: SignBridge on April 12, 2022, 08:12:53 PM
I pretty much agree. The Clearview Expwy is not likely to be extended, but if it was, it would not be a tunnel which would be way too expensive.

And my whole life I've been wishing for the Cross Sound Bridge (not a tunnel) from Rye to Oyster Bay, but as I am now a senior citizen, I'm sure it will not happen in my lifetime if ever at all.

The most likely candidate for such a large scale tunnel or other type project is the Gowanus Expwy which will absolutely have to be replaced in some form, sooner not later no matter what the cost.

We really do need to have the tunnel from Rye to Oyster Bay built, as unlikely as it is. It's too bad the US doesn't build tunnels like it used to.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

TheDon102

I think a Rye - Oyster Bay Bridge is much more likely then a clearview expwy. extension. As sad as that might sound.

SignBridge

Quote from: SignBridge on April 12, 2022, 08:12:53 PM

Sorry I made an error in this previous post. What I should have said was not the Gowanus Expwy, but the cantiliever section of the Brooklyn Queens Expwy. in Brooklyn Heights that is now reduced to two lanes each way because of its current structural deficiencies. That's the location most likely to be a tunnel or other innovative construction project in the near future.

The Ghostbuster

I expect the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway to collapse (just like the West Side Highway did in 1973), before any tunnel or expressway replacement even gets approved. That's how screwed I think the situation is, even though I've never been to New York City.

SignBridge

You might be right, Ghostbuster. New York City is pretty screwed up that way, though a little less now I hope with the new mayor, compared to the previous one who would have had us all riding bicycles instead of driving. LOL   

empirestate

Quote from: SignBridge on April 18, 2022, 05:02:19 PM
You might be right, Ghostbuster. New York City is pretty screwed up that way, though a little less now I hope with the new mayor, compared to the previous one who would have had us all riding bicycles instead of driving. LOL   

That is pretty stupid, no wonder it's not done anywhere else either. ;-)

roadman65

Why has the Manhattan Bridge Lower Level been permanently fixed as Manhattan Bound?  I see no Brooklyn Bound traffic is allowed to use it at all given at all times 5 WB lanes and only 2 lanes EB.

What goes up must come down or better yet, what goes into the city must eventually come out.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

The Wikipedia article stating that the lower roadway is permanently Manhattan bound doesn't have any cite backing it. The link provided states it's reversed during closures of the upper roadway for construction.

https://www1.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/infrastructure/manhattan-bridge.shtml

QuoteThe lower roadway travel direction reversed during closures of the south upper roadway

roadman65

Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 08, 2022, 11:18:47 AM
The Wikipedia article stating that the lower roadway is permanently Manhattan bound doesn't have any cite backing it. The link provided states it's reversed during closures of the upper roadway for construction.

https://www1.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/infrastructure/manhattan-bridge.shtml

QuoteThe lower roadway travel direction reversed during closures of the south upper roadway

Didn't go by Wiki as GSV shows the traffic pattern going Manhattan Bound.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TheDon102

Anyone have any updates on the van wyck widening project?

Declan127

Quote from: empirestate on April 11, 2022, 02:45:41 PM
Quote from: cockroachking on April 11, 2022, 02:14:49 PM

Rockaway Freeway. :-D

Oh trust me, it can be a mess around 7:30 AM. Right down the block from me is a major intersection for students from several different schools across 2 campuses to cross after getting off the bus. takes 1-3 minutes just to get past on a good morning...
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

empirestate

Declan127

Quote from: empirestate on May 09, 2022, 08:45:12 PM
Quote from: Declan127 on May 09, 2022, 08:07:48 PM
[...]ALWAYS[...]

[...]around 7:30 AM[...]

So...Rockaway Freeway, then? :-D
Thanks, I didn't read the ALWAYS, yes, Rockaway Freeway.

bluecountry

Nothing is like the Van Wick at all hours of the week.  I don't get it.

Declan127

Quote from: bluecountry on May 20, 2022, 02:38:12 PM
Nothing is like the Van Wick at all hours of the week.  I don't get it.
simple. Van wyck is too narrow to handle the amount of traffic it gets from the Belt to the Grand Central.

Pete from Boston

What's the stated logic for the Port Authority running one-way tolls now that there's no impact on traffic to bidirectional open-road tolling? Is the PA really too parsimonious to put up a second gantry at its crossings, or is there more to it?

Alps

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 03, 2022, 11:49:57 PM
What's the stated logic for the Port Authority running one-way tolls now that there's no impact on traffic to bidirectional open-road tolling? Is the PA really too parsimonious to put up a second gantry at its crossings, or is there more to it?
I mean... their existing tolls are one way. So they are replacing existing tolls in kind. They can choose whether and when to go to two-way tolling and perhaps there are political issues there, perhaps not - but it's up to them not you.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.