News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 169 (Texas)

Started by Interstate 69 Fan, December 07, 2017, 09:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate 69 Fan

Did a search, only found one thread asking if I-169 was signed.

What's the status of I-169? Does it still only exist from I-69E to Old Alice Road, or does it finally extend to TX 48?
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Hurricane Rex

Yes, it currently still ends at Old Alice Road (according to every source I've found), and a full opening date is still unknown. Toll revenue is keeping the project back.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

wxfree

It's been designated for the length of the continuous freeway, and will presumably be extended as the continuous freeway is lengthened.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

The Ghostbuster

Other than 169 and 369, are there any other x-69 three-digit Interstate routes proposed for Texas?

Jim

As of a month ago when I was in the area, I-169 didn't get any mention from mainline I-69E in either direction.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 07, 2017, 06:19:03 PM
Other than 169 and 369, are there any other x-69 three-digit Interstate routes proposed for Texas?
Nope.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

sparker

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on December 08, 2017, 12:31:46 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 07, 2017, 06:19:03 PM
Nope.

Several years ago when the path of I-69 through Houston metro hadn't been finalized, it was thought that the number I-669 would be applied to whatever alignment (at that time the choices were Loop 99 and the existing US 59 through-town route) was not selected (at least according for the Alliance for I-69 Texas, the Houston-based group spearheading the I-69 effort down there); but since US 59 was eventually selected, any impetus for an Interstate-signed bypass seems to have dissipated.  However, if the downtown realignment effort involving both I-69 and I-45 is indeed implemented -- with the inevitable congestion stemming from its construction -- there might be a reactive "push" to sign a bypass route (I would hardly think that anyone would think of adding any more load to I-610 as an interim solution!) as a through-traffic alternative; this might revive the "I-669" concept for at least the west and north quadrants of that loop system.   

Bobby5280

There is a one large I-69 bypass corridor being planned for Houston, which does incorporate the South and East quadrants of the Grand Parkway. If this bypass is ever built (presumably sometime near or after the Grand Parkway is completed) there is not much guarantee the bypass would be signed as a 3-digit Interstate route. With states now having to come up with more of the funding for highways that makes it less of a priority to put Interstate shields on the finished route. The same goes with toll roads. Chances are strong this large bypass would be signed as a Texas toll route. The Grand Parkway and Loop 8 both aren't going to carry Interstate designations any time soon. This one probably won't either.

Regarding other I-x69 possibilities, I thought TX-44 from Corpus Chrisi to Robstown, Alice & Freer might have been a 3 digit I-69 route. But that could end up being I-6 as well. Some of the freeways in Corpus Chrisi could carry Interstate designations. I could see the "I-6" thing being signed on TX-358 through Corpus Christi onto the North end of Padre Island. The loop highway around Victoria could end up being an I-x69 route. Same goes for Nacogdoches and Carthage.

Grzrd

When the Loop 20 project is completed (current estimate about eight years (p. 6/18 of pdf)), there may be some rumblings to make Loop 20 from Saunders Street to SH 359 an I-x69. The rumblings will be even louder if construction is started on the fifth international bridge, which Laredo officials showcased the site as recently as August:

Two members of the association's board of directors visited Nuevo Laredo on Monday and Laredo on Tuesday, Saenz said. At the World Trade Centers Association board meeting in September, the two men will present Laredo and Nuevo Laredo as one region. One city would have a main office and the other city would have a satellite office, Saenz said.
In Laredo, the city took the two board members on a helicopter ride around town, touring from above the bridges, industrial parks, warehousing, and the site in south Laredo where a potential fifth international bridge could go, Saenz said.

The bridge would presumably tie in to the southern end of the Cuatro Vientos Road section of Loop 20 and perhaps jumpstart the long-term plans for an upgrade to Cuatro Vientos Road..

Looooong term, this could all be eventually I-2.

MaxConcrete

The TxDOT commission has an agenda item for this month's meeting to make the designation official. That took a while. It does make me wonder if TxDOT was slow because the route is tolled (and this will be the only tolled interstate in Texas). But in the end, TxDOT probably acceded to local desires to have the interstate designation.

Google maps is identifying it as I-169.

http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot/commission/2020/0326/agenda.pdf

QuoteCameron County- In Brownsville, consider designating a segment of the state highway system as I-169, concurrent with SH 550
(MO) This minute order designates a segment of the state highway system as I-169, concurrent with SH 550 from Old Alice Road to approximately 0.4 mile east of FM 1847 in Brownsville, a distance of approximately 2.5 miles. The Brownsville Metropolitan Planning Organization, American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, and the Federal Highway Administration have approved the designation of this segment.

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Bobby5280

If they do sign it as I-169 only the first couple or so miles of the route would be eligible for signing as an Interstate. It's Interstate quality 4-lane divided from the I-69E interchange to the FM-1847 exit. After that it turns into a pair of frontage roads with a blank median. The toll road that follows is just a 2 lane road with a Jersey Barrier on the center line. They have a lot of work to do to bring the rest of that up to Interstate standards.

Thegeet

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 23, 2020, 10:50:05 AM
If they do sign it as I-169 only the first couple or so miles of the route would be eligible for signing as an Interstate. It's Interstate quality 4-lane divided from the I-69E interchange to the FM-1847 exit. After that it turns into a pair of frontage roads with a blank median. The toll road that follows is just a 2 lane road with a Jersey Barrier on the center line. They have a lot of work to do to bring the rest of that up to Interstate standards.
I apologize for Bumping. However, google maps has updated street view. SH 550 is also signed SH 169, no interstate shield.
https://goo.gl/maps/ZqYpumn1mFgRJ6CQ7
Once again. I apologize for bumping.
Edit: 9/11/2021 10:47CDT, there is also a few I-169 shields (interstate shield design) on the ground level intersection of I-69E/US 77 with SH 550/I-169/FM 511.

bwana39

Quote from: Thegeet on September 11, 2021, 11:44:17 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 23, 2020, 10:50:05 AM
I apologize for Bumping. However, google maps has updated street view. SH 550 is also signed SH 169, no interstate shield.
https://goo.gl/maps/ZqYpumn1mFgRJ6CQ7
Once again. I apologize for bumping.
Edit: 9/11/2021 10:47CDT, there is also a few I-169 shields (interstate shield design) on the ground level intersection of I-69E/US 77 with SH 550/I-169/FM 511.

This is consistent with the current practice throughout Texas.  To make it an interstate is not consistent with the current Texas practice.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Thegeet

On a side note, additional construction is set to start for SH 550 next year. Currently, the road is a super 2 lanes. I kinda feel bad that they would need to take down some relatively young bridge structures if they were to simply widen the road by paving new lanes on the edge of the current lanes.

bwana39

Quote from: Thegeet on September 13, 2021, 02:04:22 AM
On a side note, additional construction is set to start for SH 550 next year. Currently, the road is a super 2 lanes. I kinda feel bad that they would need to take down some relatively young bridge structures if they were to simply widen the road by paving new lanes on the edge of the current lanes.

Texas has a fairly large history of widening girder/ stringer deck bridges.  A couple of decades ago, there was extensive widening from 30' to 38' or 40' on most of the rural 2x 2 interstates throughout Texas.  The bridges can be widened. It WOULD be a pity if they are unable to be widened for whatever reason.

Even if they are widening by pasting a lane on each side (so to speak), they can and have split them off at the bridge sites and adding a separate bridge, then merging the tracks back together . 

Thegeet

Quote from: bwana39 on September 13, 2021, 05:50:46 PM

Texas has a fairly large history of widening girder/ stringer deck bridges.  A couple of decades ago, there was extensive widening from 30' to 38' or 40' on most of the rural 2x 2 interstates throughout Texas.  The bridges can be widened. It WOULD be a pity if they are unable to be widened for whatever reason.

Even if they are widening by pasting a lane on each side (so to speak), they can and have split them off at the bridge sites and adding a separate bridge, then merging the tracks back together .
I knew they could create a second bridge, but I didn't know it was possible to widen an existing super 2 bridge. I assume that would involve more beams, drilling shafts, and relocation of concrete guards.

On a side note, I found that the SH 550 SE of the existing I-169 has a bridge for FM 511 that goes over SH 550. Would they need to remove the drilled shafts supporting the bridge? Because last time I checked, they are configured in a way that two lanes won't fit between any gap. Please excuse me if I missed something from your previous reply. Here's the bridge at FM 511. https://goo.gl/maps/BCcKc2qZSFP7pmCF9

bwana39

Quote from: Thegeet on September 13, 2021, 07:14:18 PM

I knew they could create a second bridge, but I didn't know it was possible to widen an existing super 2 bridge. I assume that would involve more beams, drilling shafts, and relocation of concrete guards.

On a side note, I found that the SH 550 SE of the existing I-169 has a bridge for FM 511 that goes over SH 550. Would they need to remove the drilled shafts supporting the bridge? Because last time I checked, they are configured in a way that two lanes won't fit between any gap. Please excuse me if I missed something from your previous reply. Here's the bridge at FM 511. https://goo.gl/maps/BCcKc2qZSFP7pmCF9

The overpasses are a totally different problem.  As to widening the two lane bridges to four, you have it generally right.

49Toll in Tyler (TX) built 2-lane overpasses over the tollway that clearly will not handle 4 lanes. Made no sense to me, but obviously they did cost less to build.

Thegeet

Quote from: bwana39 on September 17, 2021, 10:24:04 AM
Quote from: Thegeet on September 13, 2021, 07:14:18 PM

The overpasses are a totally different problem.  As to widening the two lane bridges to four, you have it generally right.

49Toll in Tyler (TX) built 2-lane overpasses over the tollway that clearly will not handle 4 lanes. Made no sense to me, but obviously they did cost less to build.
It will be interesting to see how the rest is handled. Also, I don't know why there aren't direct connectors from I-69E NB to I-169, and I-169 to I-69E SB.

Still, I see the official signing of I-169 as a win. Thanks Google maps for finally updating the Texas street view.
PS: They've also updated I-69W/US 59/Loop 20, US 77 (from FM 665 to I-37), and US 281. They've also added updated captures of US 59 in Victoria, South of Cleveland, and at Loop 224 in Nacogdoches.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.