News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mexican signage question

Started by Tom958, December 30, 2020, 11:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom958

Can someone help me to understand the meaning of these signs? I have some rudimentary Spanish skills, and it's easy enough to look up

elija means choose
oportunamente means opportunely, which is a word I'd never expect to see on highway signage
su carril means your lane

All three lanes pass through the upcoming interchange on a flyover. The right lane has the option of passing through via a Texas-style signalized frontage road intersection- - neither this highway nor the intersecting road are freeways, but the interchange is still almost free flow, missing only the right turn direct connectors.

I thought I had it figured out:

elija for the optional left turn, like the opposite of EXIT ONLY in the US
su carril for the name and number of the road you're on if you don't turn ahead
oportunamente for additional info about the road you're on, including control cities.

Then I found this a mile and a half away, and I just gave up.

Help?   :confused:

corco

It's just unusual Mexican signage, which likes to be helpful and tell you how to drive at times - "Elija oportunamente su carril" should be read as "Choose your lane now" and should be read as one informational sentence entirely independently of what is on the green parts of the signs.

In this case they're discouraging/prohibiting lane changes further on down the line (with the solid white line), so want you to be in the proper lane well in advance, since you need to be in the left lane to get to Zacatecas and the right lane for Av. Siglo XXI

Tom958

Quote from: corco on December 30, 2020, 11:28:44 AM
It's just unusual Mexican signage, which likes to be helpful and tell you how to drive at times - "Elija oportunamente su carril" should be read as "Choose your lane now" and should be read as one informational sentence entirely independently of what is on the green parts of the signs.

In this case they're discouraging/prohibiting lane changes further on down the line (with the solid white line), so want you to be in the proper lane well in advance, since you need to be in the left lane to get to Zacatecas and the right lane for Av. Siglo XXI

Thanks! I asked a Mexican friend of mine about it, too. While he more or less imparted to me the "choose your lane now" part, the key concept of "should be read as one informational sentence entirely independently of what is on the green parts of the signs" was missing.

In the US, an arrowless pullthrough and a text left turn indication would be correct here, but perhaps the designers want to put in a plug for lane discipline.  :hmmm:

kphoger

Hmph, I came on here to help you out, but it looks like corco and your friend gave you the right answer.  It just means choose your lane ahead of time, therefore not being caught out at the actual decision point.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

To clarify the word oportunamente...

The definition of the word is "En el momento u ocasión oportunos".  In English, that's "At the appropriate time or occasion".  Therefore, the entire message in English can be translated literally as "Choose your lane at the appropriate time", or more succinctly as "Choose your lane appropriately".
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I learned something from your second post–I had never seen the word "u" used before (high school Spanish just said "or" was "o") and had to look it up. For those playing along at home, "u" is used instead of "o" when the next word also starts with the "o" sound, so that the two words don't clash with one another out loud.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Probably the most common phrase to find that in would be u otro.
Male pronouns, please.

aboges26

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 18, 2021, 03:23:25 AM
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I learned something from your second post–I had never seen the word "u" used before (high school Spanish just said "or" was "o") and had to look it up. For those playing along at home, "u" is used instead of "o" when the next word also starts with the "o" sound, so that the two words don't clash with one another out loud.

Now do "y" and "e"!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.