Regional Boards > International Highways

Traveling from West Germany to West Berlin

<< < (2/3) > >>

1995hoo:
One thing that stands out in my mind as sort of symbolizing how things have changed is that the street where Checkpoint Charlie was located has a museum on one side of the street and some souvenir and snack shops, including a Subway sandwich shop, on the other side of the street under the overall name "Snackpoint Charlie."

mgk920:

--- Quote from: 1995hoo on August 02, 2021, 08:34:38 AM ---One thing that stands out in my mind as sort of symbolizing how things have changed is that the street where Checkpoint Charlie was located has a museum on one side of the street and some souvenir and snack shops, including a Subway sandwich shop, on the other side of the street under the overall name "Snackpoint Charlie."

--- End quote ---

Berliners have always had a somewhat 'avant guard' attitude towards life.

From what I am aware of, much of the routing of the former Wall is still there as parkways and memorials and so forth, including the 'Mauerweg' ('Wall Path'), a pedestrian and bicycle pathway that follows about 90% of the Wall's former 'No Mans's Land'.  The long straight section of the A113 autobahn, running southsoutheastward from the A100 innerbelt towards the new airport, was built on the Wall's former death strip.

Mike

Rothman:
We're in a road movie to Berlin,
Can't drive out the way we drove in...

abefroman329:

--- Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on July 16, 2021, 08:34:36 AM ---Found the below video on an other forum.  It is a Royal Military Police Video about how to travel from West Germany to West Berlin for British military personnel.  Appears to be from the late 70's or 80's.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS1xvtLV8Xw
--- End quote ---

I was fascinated by that video, and sought out more.  This one is a good one; watch how you can tell they've entered East Germany just by the camera bouncing:

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWq9s62iKTE

Interstatefan78:
Inside the A2 Helmstedt Marienborn Crossing there would have been a sign saying DDR Zero Tolerance DUI signs. http://www.autobahn-online.de/a24/a24.html One here is on the A24 Hamburg-Gudow West Germany East Germany Zarrentin Berlin Autobahn.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version