News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The purpose of Arkansas 530

Started by cbalducc, November 13, 2021, 03:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbalducc

There are two disconnected segments of Highway 530 in southeast Arkansas.  Though this shares the number of Interstate 530, it is not an interstate.  What is the intended destination for this highway?  Is it beneficial to many travelers now?

jbnv

I'll let the Arkansans explain in better detail, but my best guess is that it's a placeholder for a future Interstate 530 extension to Monroe, Louisiana.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

sprjus4

It connects to the southern end of I-530, and is designed as a super-2 that will eventually be upgraded into a full freeway, to extend down to Future I-69 at Monticello.

cbalducc

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 13, 2021, 04:24:15 PM
It connects to the southern end of I-530, and is designed as a super-2 that will eventually be upgraded into a full freeway, to extend down to Future I-69 at Monticello.
But what if I-69 is never built?  Will the road be a waste of money?

jbnv

Quote from: cbalducc on November 13, 2021, 04:34:10 PM

Not if they can work out something with Louisiana to connect it to Monroe. US 425 is already four lanes in Louisiana.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

sprjus4

Quote from: cbalducc on November 13, 2021, 04:34:10 PM
I wouldn't say so, even in its current form, it provides a high quality 2 lane 65 mph road between Monticello and I-530.

edwaleni

Anthony_JK

Quote from: cbalducc on November 13, 2021, 03:53:52 PM
There are two disconnected segments of Highway 530 in southeast Arkansas.  Though this shares the number of Interstate 530, it is not an interstate.  What is the intended destination for this highway?  Is it beneficial to many travelers now?

The AR 530 designation is a temporary placeholder for what will be a full Interstate freeway (I-530) at least to Monticello, where it is supposed to meet the proposed I-69 corridor. It may ultimately become part of a full Interstate corridor (extended I-57, I-51, or southern I-53) extending to Monroe, and ultimately to Alexandria or even Lake Charles.

Road Hog

I ask the thread title often myself.

The Ghostbuster

If the roadway makes it to Monroe, LA or even if it doesn't go south of Monticello, AR, Interstate/AR 530 should become a further extension of Interstate 57. I think the distance is too great to keep the road a 3-digit Interstate like 530.

capt.ron

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 15, 2021, 12:31:20 PM
If the roadway makes it to Monroe, LA or even if it doesn't go south of Monticello, AR, Interstate/AR 530 should become a further extension of Interstate 57. I think the distance is too great to keep the road a 3-digit Interstate like 530.
I agree. AR already tried that with I-540 from FS to Fayetteville and it turned into I-49. I definitely favor an I-57 extension.

MikieTimT

Quote from: capt.ron on November 15, 2021, 01:25:24 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 15, 2021, 12:31:20 PM
I agree. AR already tried that with I-540 from FS to Fayetteville and it turned into I-49. I definitely favor an I-57 extension.

I'd third that as well, however, I'd wager that it won't happen unless I-69 actually gets build as planned to provide the other logical terminus, temporary or permanent as it may be.

jbnv

Quote from: MikieTimT on November 15, 2021, 01:57:27 PM
I'd third that as well, however, I'd wager that it won't happen unless I-69 actually gets build as planned to provide the other logical terminus, temporary or permanent as it may be.

I-69 isn't going to happen in Arkansas because it isn't going to happen in Louisiana. Arkansas would be better off ditching I-69 and working with Louisiana on bringing I-57 to I-10. Louisiana already has four-lane divided expressways that could serve as the footprint for I-57. As for I-69, Louisiana has no footprint at all and a full plate of projects for real needs.

MikieTimT

Quote from: jbnv on November 15, 2021, 08:45:45 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on November 15, 2021, 01:57:27 PM

I-69 isn't going to happen in Arkansas because it isn't going to happen in Louisiana. Arkansas would be better off ditching I-69 and working with Louisiana on bringing I-57 to I-10. Louisiana already has four-lane divided expressways that could serve as the footprint for I-57. As for I-69, Louisiana has no footprint at all and a full plate of projects for real needs.

It'd certainly be cheaper than sharing a Mississippi River bridge project with Mississippi for I-69.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.